Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Pro Plan Salmon & Rice.
I wasn't sure if it was exothyquin-free.
I spoke with the company(Nestle) an they told me they should ask Purina for sure.Today i got an answer.They only use Vitamin E as a preservative.

But,if it is used in the salmon they use to make the dry food???:confused:

I think is bad to use exothyquin because it causes cancer...

What do you think?:rolleyes:

Those are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Salmon (22%), rice (22%), dehydrated salmon protein (15%), maize, maize gluten, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), hydrolysed digest, beet pulp, purified cellulose fibre, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, minerals. Cupric sulphate (copper = 12 mg/kg), zinc sulphate (zinc = 180 mg/kg). Antioxidant: tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin.

Vitamin A: 21000 IU/Kg
Vitamin D3: 1600 IU/Kg
Vitamin E (α tocopherol): 280 mg/Kg
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid): 70 mg/Kg

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm using Pro Plan Salmon & Rice.
I wasn't sure if it was exothyquin-free.
I spoke with the company(Nestle) an they told me they should ask Purina for sure.Today i got an answer.They only use Vitamin E as a preservative.

But,if it is used in the salmon they use to make the dry food???:confused:

I think is bad to use exothyquin because it causes cancer...

What do you think?:rolleyes:

Those are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Salmon (22%), rice (22%), dehydrated salmon protein (15%), maize, maize gluten, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), hydrolysed digest, beet pulp, purified cellulose fibre, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, minerals. Cupric sulphate (copper = 12 mg/kg), zinc sulphate (zinc = 180 mg/kg). Antioxidant: tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin.

Vitamin A: 21000 IU/Kg
Vitamin D3: 1600 IU/Kg
Vitamin E (α tocopherol): 280 mg/Kg
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid): 70 mg/Kg
Just ask them for a written statement. I'm sure they won't mind, that way if anything happens, you're covered. What is maize gluten anyways?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would think that the fish/fish meal Purina uses contains Ethoxyquin. If it means that much to you to know then either email them or call them and ask specifically what their fish/fish meal is preserved with before it's shipped to them. They will say their food is naturally preserved with Vit. E, which it is, but what you are looking for is what a particular ingredient is preserved with prior to it going into the food. They don't have to disclose that information to you.

You may not get an answer and if you do it may be that the person you are talking to doesn't know.

There are US Coast Guard regulations on shipping fish scrap and fish meal. I believe it must contain 100 ppm Ethoxyquin if there is a particular moisture level....something like that. Very few foods state that they use Ethoxyquin free fish meal and generally those who use something Ethoxyquin free state it.

Just ask them for a written statement. I'm sure they won't mind, that way if anything happens, you're covered.

What do you mean by this? Covered how?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I would think that the fish/fish meal Purina uses contains Ethoxyquin. If it means that much to you to know then either email them or call them and ask specifically what their fish/fish meal is preserved with before it's shipped to them. They will say their food is naturally preserved with Vit. E, which it is, but what you are looking for is what a particular ingredient is preserved with prior to it going into the food. They don't have to disclose that information to you.

You may not get an answer and if you do it may be that the person you are talking to doesn't know.

There are US Coast Guard regulations on shipping fish scrap and fish meal. I believe it must contain 100 ppm Ethoxyquin if there is a particular moisture level....something like that. Very few foods state that they use Ethoxyquin free fish meal and generally those who use something Ethoxyquin free state it.
^^^THIS. Excellent info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank u very much for the info!
I think that they won't know if their fish is exothyquin-free.:(
I'll try contact them.

(blah blah blah...nothing is perfect with dog food...:cool:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts