Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 month old Newfie puppy for a month now. She is excellant with regular house-training (only 7 accidents total). It's been over a week since her last accident. But we have problems with her piddling all over when we get back home after being gone, and when we have visitors. I have read all others advice, and I think it would help if we didn't have our other dog. Our other dog always gets super excited and barks tons when people come over or we come home. We never saw it as a problem before, because she never urinated when she was excited. But now, it upsets our puppy. We hope our puppy grows out of it, but I don't know. How do you teach an 8 year old dog to stop doing something that she's always done? Help!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Many new puppies do grow out of this, as they will develop better control of their bladder as they age.
You can always teach a dog something, even at 8 years old! Check on the sticky section of the forum pages, there are stickies information on NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) which is basically impulse control, and teaching a dog to greet visitors politely. It's worth a try.

As for your puppy, ignore her when you get home, until she is calm. It might not stop the peeing right away, but it will show her that she doesn't get your attention when she's in that super excited state, then she may learn to be calm when you get home, and, this, in turn, may stop the peeing.
As for visitors, try bringing her outside to greet visitors, praise her for her calm behavior. But, if she still pees, you don't have a mess inside!

My first puppy used to do this. When I got home from work, I'd rush straight through, from the front door, to the back door, rushing him out, but not talking to him or looking directly at him, then, when he was quiet, he'd get some attention. Plus, by the time we went back in, he'd peed outside!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts