Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Biscuit had surgery almost 3 weeks ago now to remove a cancerous tumor on her front leg, it was in a really awkward spot (in the part attaching the leg to the body) so every time she walks it's pulling on the stitches.

Today is the 3rd time i've been back to the vets as it's just not healing, it will start to close up and then the smallest thing like getting off of the sofa or going up some steps will open it right back up again. They're just giving her antibiotics and manuka honey to heal it and STILL saying not to let her exercise!! 3 weeks without exercise for any dog, let alone a dog displaying nervous behaviour and fear aggression is just awful and I can't stand not being able to walk her!

Any advice on what to do? She's not a hyperactive dog in the slightest and seems perfectly happy spending her time lounging around the house as long as she's got human company, but i've noticed when taking her out to go to the toilet etc her fear aggression (mainly barking) at strangers is a lot worse and she's so alert and tense. Poor thing wish she would just get better :(

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I know nothing about the veterinary care of the surgery Biscuit had ... but could they possibly use staples?

Maybe someone with more knowledge than I will come along ..... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know nothing about the veterinary care of the surgery Biscuit had ... but could they possibly use staples?

Maybe someone with more knowledge than I will come along ..... :)
Aw no worries, thank you for taking the time to reply :) They said about using staples but want to wait for another week to see if it will heal on it's own :/ do they general help wounds to heal together faster than stitches?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Aw no worries, thank you for taking the time to reply :) They said about using staples but want to wait for another week to see if it will heal on it's own :/ do they general help wounds to heal together faster than stitches?
My opinion is that the staples would be far less easy to pull out and open the wound again. I had them in my head once ... better than stitches ... but they have to be taken out by the physician. It really wasn't that bad. I prefer them over the stitches. They didn't hurt as much or pull on the skin in my case. :)

But then again I am not a dog ... nor do we walk on our heads! Lol! :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
This won't solve all your problems, but training will help a lot in terms of mental exhaustion. Obviously nothing that involves running or jumping, but that leaves a lot of things to work on! Down/stay, leave it, drop it, targeting, plus tricks like balancing things on her nose. It really does burn off some of that nervous energy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts