Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new rescue dog has come to me with many behavioural problems;
- Fear of men, will bark aggressively and back away but has lunged and snapped once or twice.
- Fear of anything fast moving (cars/joggers/bicycles) - she's gotten 95% past this issue and barely even recognizes them anymore but if something's already spooked her earlier on in the walk she'll be much more alert and has slipped up on occasion.
- She likes other dogs but has been highly undersocialized and has no doggy manners. She will generally either lie down and drool everywhere/wet herself or jump on them depending on their size/behaviour towards her so we're socializing her with "safe" dogs as much as possible.

I currently walk her for around 3 miles a day on leash and then take her to the cemetary or the dog park when it's empty and let her have her space and a little jog around on a 50ft long line. I have a small exercise yard at work that she can run off lead in but I try to take her to work as little as possible (I work at the shelter that I rescued it from and it makes her too anxious being there) however I would love for her to be able to run off lead and feel that she really needs this.

I've been told to ask in tennis courts and was thinking of possibly renting a small field if it came to it. How do you exercise your own behavioural problem dogs?

·
Registered
367 Posts
My new rescue dog has come to me with many behavioural problems;
- Fear of men, will bark aggressively and back away but has lunged and snapped once or twice.
- Fear of anything fast moving (cars/joggers/bicycles) - she's gotten 95% past this issue and barely even recognizes them anymore but if something's already spooked her earlier on in the walk she'll be much more alert and has slipped up on occasion.
- She likes other dogs but has been highly undersocialized and has no doggy manners. She will generally either lie down and drool everywhere/wet herself or jump on them depending on their size/behaviour towards her so we're socializing her with "safe" dogs as much as possible.

I currently walk her for around 3 miles a day on leash and then take her to the cemetary or the dog park when it's empty and let her have her space and a little jog around on a 50ft long line. I have a small exercise yard at work that she can run off lead in but I try to take her to work as little as possible (I work at the shelter that I rescued it from and it makes her too anxious being there) however I would love for her to be able to run off lead and feel that she really needs this.

I've been told to ask in tennis courts and was thinking of possibly renting a small field if it came to it. How do you exercise your own behavioural problem dogs?
I would not take a fearful dog anywhere off leash unless it was completely secure..6ft all the way around with no openings and I would make sure she knows her name perfectly. I have tried to do the tennis courts in the winter, but they had it locked up:(

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I would not take a fearful dog anywhere off leash unless it was completely secure..6ft all the way around with no openings and I would make sure she knows her name perfectly. I have tried to do the tennis courts in the winter, but they had it locked up:(
Ditto......

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
We have a fully fenced tennis and basketball court down the street that we often use in the evening or on rainy days. It gets a lot of use so we have to go during off peak hours or bad weather conditions in order to use it. If you choose this be very aware that other people may try to come and use the court while you're in it and open the gate to let your dog out unintentionally. Just got to stay aware of people passing by and always have a good recall.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
We've used tennis courts and baseball fields. I bring extra rope or leashes to secure the gates - gives me a heads up if people come and want to get in. The rope stops them long enough for me to secure the dog so she can't get out if they leave the gate open. Also gives me time to get to her before she reacts. Bungee cords are good, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts