Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Doggie Lovers,

Does anyone have any good ideas for exercises to do with a dog with Oasteoarthritis in the knees? My ten year old lab is quite fluffy (overweight some would say). We do go for walks each day for about 30 minutes, but her weight doesn't seem to go down. I don't think jogging would be the best idea for her knees. She is doing preety good these days. A vet recommended that I started her on a liquid glucosamine supplement, so I have had her on Synflex for a couple of months now. She is definitely in less pain, I just don't want to aggravate it. As far as her food goes, she only eats two cups, once a day, with a handful of green beans (which the vet suggested). Any suggestions on weight loss and exercises would be appreciated!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
For the arthritis, you might also try a tablespoon of Missing Link for about 3 - 4 weeks. If you don't see improvement, then I don't think that Missing Link with help.

For a Lab, I strongly suggest that reduce the food to 1.5 cups for a month. She will act starving, but Labs are always starving :) ... In addition, you can reduce the green beans to half, and include one raw carrot, with the green top cut off.

BTW, I was giving my 11 yo Lab-mix 6 carrots a day (I feed him twice a day), in addition to his food, and he was gaining weight, so I reduced to 4 carrots a day... and he's ~ 60 lbs. which is a good weight for him.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Swimming is a great exercise for arthritic dogs. Our vet gave us the thumbs up to swim our English Setter, who early stage arthritis. A dog (or person) only needs to swim about 1/4 of the time to get the same amount of cardio and muscular workout as you would from a good run or brisk walk. After a 30 minute swim, Pebbles sleeps all the way home (she never does that after a good hour long run).

I've been swimming her for about 2 months now and I am seeing improvement. She has also built up some of her supporting muscles, which help with normal movement and stability.

She is now back to using stairs gracefully and jumps up on the bed without any trouble. Her swim coach said would take about 2-3 months before I would see improvement.

If you decide to swim your lab, please start slowly. Check the muscles for warmth and twitching (an indication they are over working those muscles). Check her position in the water. You may notice her back is lower in the water, and her pace slows down as she starts to tire out. That's when it's time to call it a day. We started out with 10-15 minutes (though my young lab will go for a full hour), and worked our way up to 30 minutes. You can also check around for a facility with an indoor physical therapy pool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts