Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a dog bed for my new pup (she might be 16 weeks old). It was a bit too small...and she treated it like a toy.

I was fine with that.

She tore a hole in the bottom and took the stuffing out.

Now, I'm putting her toys in that hole and letting her work at taking them back out.

This gave me an idea:
Take her toys, put a dab of something yummy on the toy that is deepest in the bag, and let her go to town on it.

So, what's a safe bag or material to use? Something like a dense canvas sack would be great... something that I can fold over and may tie a loose rope around the neck of it.

Any other cool dog "brain toys"?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I personally would try heavy canvas, sewed really tightly with all of the seams sewn so they lay flush (does that make sense, not sure how to describe it...). If there are any seams sticking out I know Caeda would grab on and nibble away....if she would ignore it your puppy probably would. Also if you make the bag so it isn't quite square it might help, Caeda tends to go for the square corners on any stuffed toy she gets, I made one with rounded corners and it lasted longer. Canvas might have a tight enough weave that it won't unravel at the first chew and offer an "alternate toy. Its should be breathable enough too so if the dog gets inside it won't suffocate (though I would always supervise!).
Just my thoughts on that, I've been looking for something I can make stuffed toys out of for Caeda since she destroys stuffed toys REALLY fast, but loves having them.
Other brain toys? Kong genius, or a cheaper way to go is a pop bottle with treats/kibble in it (definitely supervise closely if you use the pop bottle). You can also put treats under a cardboard box, especially funny if the box is larger than the puppy, but again, supervise closely.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm not usually too concerned about general destruction of allowable items. But, I'm very concerned that a dog much chew and swallow. You already know which type your pup is.... Mine even eats bricks....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts