Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the reasons you have heard that people have used to get rid of their dogs? One of my favorites is the dog doesn't get along with the other anymore. Well my two kids still don't get along and if I were to just dump one off I would have The Department of Children Services right up my butt!

·
Registered
948 Posts
What are some of the reasons you have heard that people have used to get rid of their dogs? One of my favorites is the dog doesn't get along with the other anymore. Well my two kids still don't get along and if I were to just dump one off I would have The Department of Children Services right up my butt!
Whenever I hear dogs compared to children in this manner, I can't help but think, "yeah, but do your kids eat out of bowls on the floor and poop in the backyard?" No offense, I have lot of respect for dogs, and consider them relevant, important, bona fide family members, of a different species.

But that's not important -- I agree 100% with your point. I wonder how many of those dogs would still be in the home if those owners had to do their own euthanization.

"I had no idea that my sweet little german shepherd puppy would get so big and rowdy."
"We've had him for six years, now we're moving to an apartment with breed restrictions."
"We just moved to a new house and don't want the carpet soiled."

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
"I bought him for my kids(who were in grades 11 and 12 at the time) and now that the kids have graduated and moved out I dont see any point in having a dog anymore."

this one was cats, but just as stupid..."I am so sad,I love my cats but I am moving and my realtor said people are less likley to buy a house with cats, so I have to get rid of them so I can show and sell my house." --this I was told from a woman who boards her dog with us..a dog and CAT boarding and daycare facility..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whenever I hear dogs compared to children in this manner, I can't help but think, "yeah, but do your kids eat out of bowls on the floor and poop in the backyard?" No offense, I have lot of respect for dogs, and consider them relevant, important, bona fide family members, of a different species.

But that's not important -- I agree 100% with your point. I wonder how many of those dogs would still be in the home if those owners had to do their own euthanization.

"I had no idea that my sweet little german shepherd puppy would get so big and rowdy."
"We've had him for six years, now we're moving to an apartment with breed restrictions."
"We just moved to a new house and don't want the carpet soiled."
Your right different species! My dogs never asked me for money, to drive, to date, or talked back. I think I have a lot less stress with them even when they fight. lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
We get a lot of the:
"I just don't have time anymore" usually followed by "and we don't feel we're being fair to him/her" and 9 times out of 10, the dog is at least 8 years old. There was a woman who wanted us to take her 15 year old deaf and going blind dog. We did something we normally do not do and told her that poor dog would be better off euthanized then to sit in a shelter and fester.

"We'll she's old and our 2 and 3 year old don't know how to play nicely with her, so we think it's best to give her up."

"I found a flea on my baby."

"He's never had a problem with my children, but I don't want to take any chances."

" My husbands deployed and I just can't handle.or have time for him/her, with two kids to take care of."

" He got too big."

·
Registered
110 Posts
"We just redecorated the house, and he/she doesn't match the furniture anymore"
..............:( wtf???

I hate when people give "excuses" to get rid of their animals.

I had a friend who got rid of their pitbull because they were having a baby. Even though she was the sweetest thing, they said "pitbulls are known to be baby killers." and I went, "WHAT!?!? Pitbulls are good dogs!" and they replied with, "..........Really?"

Also, I hate when people say "I wanted her to feel like a mother at least one time before she got fixed." so they breed her then bring a box of unwanted puppies to the pound and say, "I have no time and room for these puppies..." (I worked at an animal shelter and saw PLENTY of this. It's disgusting...)

I also knew someone who had two BEAUTIFUL cats, then she had a room mate move in with her and say "We need to get rid of these cats...you don't want to be tied down do you? Especially on party nights." and she got rid of the cats (one of them ended up running away from the new home and was never found) and a few weeks later, her roommate decided to move out anyways...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your right different species! My dogs never asked me for money, to drive, to date, or talked back. I think I have a lot less stress with them even when they fight. lol
And it doesn't take years to get them to crap in the right place, doesn't take several months before they can walk, and I can leave a puppy at home while I go out for a movie after just a few weeks without risking the puppy's safety or my house. I couldn't do that with human kids until they moved out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
..............:( wtf???

I hate when people give "excuses" to get rid of their animals.

I had a friend who got rid of their pitbull because they were having a baby. Even though she was the sweetest thing, they said "pitbulls are known to be baby killers." and I went, "WHAT!?!? Pitbulls are good dogs!" and they replied with, "..........Really?"
Sure, Pit Bulls are baby killers. So is a toaster if it falls on one. Some people don't have the sense that God gave to the common dog (pun intended).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Agree with everything, but not the bolded bit, Sam talks back to us - lots of times ;-)

·
Registered
262 Posts
How about this one (a Craigslist Detroit area favorite): "we just can't give this dog the life they deserve"
(What?! Poorest excuse EVER and connotes a LAZY owner!)

·
Registered
427 Posts
"Her brain grew too large for her skull so she became aggressive" :frusty:

·
Registered
533 Posts
On Cl today. "left at the door step of veterinary clinic with all of her toys and a note:
"up to date on vaccines and spayed didnt get along with new cat."
She is 3 - 5 years of age, litter box trained, a little bit on the heavy side not too bad though.
comes with cage and toys all for free"

·
Registered
871 Posts
The dog we rescued yesterday's owners said they had the yorkie mix inside and kept him for 4-5 months, but then got a teacup chihuahua and like it better bc its small and like a baby. So they threw the yorkie out.

On cl once I saw a family who had a 10 yr old dog, they had it since puppyhood, and were getting rid of it bc it had fleas.

Another time on cl, I saw one that said they had this poor lab for 12 years, and suddenly decided they didnt have "enough room for the dog to run free" and had to get rid of it. By tomorrow.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I bought him for my 3 yr old, but he's not fulfiling his responsibilities with the dog, so to punish him Im getting rid of the dog.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The dog we rescued yesterday's owners said they had the yorkie mix inside and kept him for 4-5 months, but then got a teacup chihuahua and like it better bc its small and like a baby. So they threw the yorkie out.

On cl once I saw a family who had a 10 yr old dog, they had it since puppyhood, and were getting rid of it bc it had fleas.

Another time on cl, I saw one that said they had this poor lab for 12 years, and suddenly decided they didnt have "enough room for the dog to run free" and had to get rid of it. By tomorrow.
I think it's a pretty high probability that in each of the above cases, the reason given is just a euphemism for "he bites you, HARD!, if you get anywhere near him, and urinates uncontrollably on the sofa."

·
Registered
462 Posts
He grew.
He pees in the house.
He doesn't match the furniture.
He sheds,
Summer is over.
He is too friendly.
He is stupid and doesn't do tricks like the dogs on tv.
My dog went out and got herself pregnant.
He is old.
We are moving.
The kids have left home.
He is sick or has special needs.
After owning theis dog for years I have decided that I am allergic.

Just once I would like to hear "I am a lazy uncaring piece of sh*t who can't bother to be responsible."

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's one of my favorite craiglist posts...

Girlfriend says, my lab must go

Date: 2011-03-14, 7:04PM EDT

New girlfriend is not a fan of my 8 year old lab, and says i need to make a craigslist add to find him a good home.....so here you go honey

Free to good home

1 jealous nagging dog hating girlfriend

make an offer or look in the free section if she keeps it up and gets kicked to the curb

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Here's one of my favorite craiglist posts...

Girlfriend says, my lab must go

Date: 2011-03-14, 7:04PM EDT

New girlfriend is not a fan of my 8 year old lab, and says i need to make a craigslist add to find him a good home.....so here you go honey

Free to good home

1 jealous nagging dog hating girlfriend

make an offer or look in the free section if she keeps it up and gets kicked to the curb

^............^..........^ LOVE it! :)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts