Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm foster sitting two chi/terrier puppies right now, dropped off Thursday evening and will be picked up Sunday evening. They are sisters and about 6 months old and have been a lot of fun so far. I'll post some pictures and possibly some video of them sometime this weekend. Jubel's been great with them too.

So one of them is an excitement peer. She also a bit behind her sister on potty training but I don't really think they are related. It's not even been 24 hours yet but she's done this four times already. Once when she first came in the house at drop off as she was bouncing like crazy she did a quick squat and dribbled a bit. When I came downstairs this morning (they are staying in the kitchen gated off when I can't watch them closely) to let them out to potty and have breakfast she peed a bit as she greeted me. Again when I got home from dropping my car off for service (gone about 30 minutes). The last time she had just been outside and I saw her pee and I let her come down in the basement for the first time. She came down and jumped up on the couch with my brother and peed on him and the couch, mostly the couch.

I understand everything is exciting to her and excitement peeing isn't unusual but is their anything I can do to help prevent it? I thought I was by taking her outside to potty before letting her in the basement for the first time but that didn't seem to help. I know I'm not going to be able to 'fix' this in the few days she's with me but reducing it would be nice.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sierra is an excitement pee-er. What we did:
- Move very slowly and speak in low voices around times that were high excitement (such as going out in the morning)
- Required calm before interaction. She had to sit and remain seated and quiet. While this did not prevent the urination it did in the long run train her to calm herself and therefore prevented the urination. We generally walked up to let them out of the bathroom (where they sleep at night), had them sit, wait and when both remain seated, calm and quiet while the gate was removed and after they had a clear path they were released. Sierra would be released straight out the door in the beginning when she had little control as she would initially be quiet and then become very excited.
- When we knew times of excitement were coming (visitors) we left her on surfaces that were easily cleaned. Although it doesn't solve the problem it was just a lot less frustrating to clean
- Control visitors. My friends find it great fun to ramp up my dogs and then stare at me in marvel after they get jumped on and peed on. Quit speaking in high excited voices and running around like a crazy person. That was one of the hardest parts of controlling Sierra's urination. Visitors want to speak in baby goo-goo talk to dogs - not helpful for control.
- Time. Sierra is now 3 years old. We adopted her when she was 6 months. As time went on and she was completely potty trained and matured the problem improved itself. We still worked on it but I have to admit maturity/age did alot for her. It almost seemed like the potty training - as Sierra got older she gained more control of her urination just like age with potty training.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts