Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have had my dog for 9 months now she is just under a year old and I have been having problems with her peeing everywhere! It's not a house training issue in the sense that she doesn't go anywhere for no reason. She usually pees when we get home or if she gets excited or if she thinks she did something wrong. She will go anywhere too, from bed to couch to floors it doesn't matter. I don't know what to do or how to train this habit out of her. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help? I'm desperate as my partner wants her gone because of these issues..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
About the only thing that really helps is to be super low-key about everything, and ignoring her puddles (other than cleaning them afterward with a good enzymatic cleaner). And no scolding her for something she can't control. Also, dog's don't really understand the concept of "did something wrong"... all they know is that you are mad. They especially can't connect your mad to something they did more than a few seconds ago.

You could try a diaper or bitch pants while you are working on it, but it's usually something it just takes time for them to outgrow, although to be honest, some dogs never quire completely outgrow it, and even as an adult, when sacred or startled, might dribble a bit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What is the exercise routine? Walks? How far? How much time? Breed?

How do you greet the dog when you return home?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Is she spayed? Every once in a while a vet will ding something in the bladder area during spay surgery, which can cause incontinence. Either way, I'd see a vet first to rule out physical issues. There are meds that can help with some types of incontinence.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Is she spayed? Every once in a while a vet will ding something in the bladder area during spay surgery, which can cause incontinence. Either way, I'd see a vet first to rule out physical issues. There are meds that can help with some types of incontinence.
One of the main theories about spay incontinence is that the lack of hormones caused by removing the ovaries causes the bladder sphincter to not be as tight as it otherwise would be. That said, the worst excited pee-er I ever met was an intact male. He had a wonderful, outgoing, friendly personality, but every time he came to the clinic, I had to mop the floors, he left such huge puddles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the exercise routine? Walks? How far? How much time? Breed?

How do you greet the dog when you return home?
We go out at least once a day for 15 minutes. But we spend time playing fetch in our huge back yard a lot through out the day since I work at home. She is a mix of a rottie and a german shepherd.

We've started to just ignore her when we get home but she does it anyways. We've started to leave greet her outside but she still pees more when it's time to go in the house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've taken her into the vet and they said she doesn't have a uti or anything like that. They weren't much help. She is spayed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
15 minutes a day for walking....... Definitely not enough.

You need to burn off the dog's energy. I have a 13 lb MiniS, we walk at least 90 minutes each day split over 3 walks. Weekends, the time is much higher. Just yesterday, we were out on multiple walks to cover about 6 miles with many stops handling weekend errands and a lunch at an outdoor café.

Not sure if this will help, but I know it will burn off the extra energy and allow more focused training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts