Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, was feeding TOTW Southwest Canyon with wild boar. Stools were nice and firm at first ending in being soft but not runny. I would say they were fibery towards the end of the movement and softer than the first part of the stool exiting. For the 1.5 cups in the morning, and also at dinner, the amount of stool being passed looked like a normal amount.

After switching to Fromm Adult Gold, the stool starts off hard then super runny. Also for the same amount of food he is consuming, I don't believe he is passing as much as the other food.

I took 5 days to transition, and am thru half of the 15 lb bag. Any ideas? Should I continue with hopes he will adjust?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
when in doubt I mix plain white rice and some broth in it half and half to see if it improves.....

mine are doing well on the TOTW high prairie mixed with the pricey Solid Gold Bark at the moon, with raw for AM....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Curious, how much does your dog weigh? Wondering if you might be overfeeding.

Have you transitioned food before? 5 days isn't enough for more sensitive dogs. I usually recommend a 2 week transition.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You are over feeding. 3 cups of food is an amount that large breed dogs would get. I would guess the proper amount for your dog is 2 cups, maybe 2.25 cups. Neither of the foods you have tried have much animal protein content. Dogs with soft stool problems shouldn't eat foods that have so much plant material and TOTW and Fromm have tons.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He weighs 65 lbs. I am feeding what the chart says on the bags.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Those feeding charts do tend to run high. . .you could try giving a little bit less and see if it helps. For some dogs, excess food just runs right through them.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Eva is 65 lbs and probably a similar breed mix too. She gets about 3 cups per day of anything except the performance foods (like Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete for example) and those she gets just over 2 cups of. She is quite lean. Obviously every dog has a different metabolism but if your dog has been doing well on 3 cups per day of a food with a similar calorie count and protein/fat levels, then it might just not be the formula for him.

Both of my dogs have loved Fromm Classic and done well on it. They switch brands and formulas often and so I happened to grab a 15 lb bag of the Fromm Gold because it was convenient that week and the shop owner (a friend) was curious to see how my dogs would like it since its a new line in her store.
Chester was really ho-hum on it, he barely wanted to eat it and when he did eat it, he was slow and uninterested to the point that I was about to take him to the vet since when a hound dog doesn't want food, it isn't a good sign. But when I opened up their next bag of food (Sportmix Wholesomes chicken formula), he chowed down and has chowed down every day for the week since. So I'd say grab a different bag of food and start the change to something else before the current bag runs out and see how he does.

·
Registered
126 Posts
3 cups is too much. Feed 1 in the morning and 1.5 at night and see how it goes for a week. Those charts are based on a calorie formula that is applied to all foods good quality and bad quality.

To be honest I would feed 1 in the morning and 1 at night and then weigh the dog in two weeks and see, but most people won't cut back so much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im done with this food, and frankly am not even wheening him off of it. Switched him cold turkey back to TOTW southwest canyon and everything is perfect now. 2 accidents in the house is not acceptable. Never ever was there any prior to the switch to Fromm Gold. I really wanted it to be a success as local vets and friends had excellent luck with it.

I just wonder what ingredient(s) did not agree with him.

Here is what happened, morning stools were too hard and too short, and not enough was passed during our 30 minute walk. So while it home, what didn't pass became an emegency, thus he used the floor mat by the door (smart of him). Then came home, fed supper, and it was runny during afternoon walk. Started all over again the next day.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Im done with this food, and frankly am not even wheening him off of it. Switched him cold turkey back to TOTW southwest canyon and everything is perfect now. 2 accidents in the house is not acceptable. Never ever was there any prior to the switch to Fromm Gold. I really wanted it to be a success as local vets and friends had excellent luck with it.

I just wonder what ingredient(s) did not agree with him.

Here is what happened, morning stools were too hard and too short, and not enough was passed during our 30 minute walk. So while it home, what didn't pass became an emegency, thus he used the floor mat by the door (smart of him). Then came home, fed supper, and it was runny during afternoon walk. Started all over again the next day.
Some dogs just don't do well on certain foods. If I were you, I'd stick with TOTW unless you need to switch or if you want to try to rotate foods.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My goal is to get a small variety of foods he does well on, then rotate every now and then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts