Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been bell training our two 5-month-old puppies, and they have both picked up on it. Our female puppy, however, seems to think that whenever she even has the slightest inkling that she needs to pee, she rings the bells. This could be every 5-20 minutes. She was pretty bad with only peeing in very small amounts frequently when she was younger, but she's becoming more capable of holding her bladder now (up to 6-7 hours, generally). Since she has this history, I don't want to wait too long if she thinks she needs to pee, but it is tiring to be getting up all the time if she needs to tinkle out a few drops.

When we take them out once they hit the bells, we walk until they do something, or until 5-10 minutes have passed, constantly asking for "potty".

Should we just ignore her hitting the bells until a more reasonable amount of time has passed? I'm afraid she'll think that hitting the bells will make us ignore her and revert her back to peeing inside.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
We've been bell training our two 5-month-old puppies, and they have both picked up on it. Our female puppy, however, seems to think that whenever she even has the slightest inkling that she needs to pee, she rings the bells. This could be every 5-20 minutes. She was pretty bad with only peeing in very small amounts frequently when she was younger, but she's becoming more capable of holding her bladder now (up to 6-7 hours, generally). Since she has this history, I don't want to wait too long if she thinks she needs to pee, but it is tiring to be getting up all the time if she needs to tinkle out a few drops.

When we take them out once they hit the bells, we walk until they do something, or until 5-10 minutes have passed, constantly asking for "potty".

Should we just ignore her hitting the bells until a more reasonable amount of time has passed? I'm afraid she'll think that hitting the bells will make us ignore her and revert her back to peeing inside.

Thanks!
Don't ignore the bells, but do make trips out when they're run very boring - puppy like boring. Outside, on a leash, in one spot. She pees, great. If not, back inside and crated. There'll be a period where she hits them more, but it will taper off until she gets the idea that it's a request to PEE, not a request for outside walkies and playtime.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Sounds like the bell means "Let's go for a walk" and not "Let's potty!" Ours does this to an extent - for him the bell can also mean "I want to get out of the gated area!" We make bell trips out as boring as possible, and if he doesn't go within about a minute of standing outside, then he goes back in. If he doesn't a second time, we repeat. If he does it a third time, he gets ignored.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts