Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I have a 14 week old shih tzu puppy named Mojo. He is up to date with all vaccinations and a healthy puppy for the most part except that he has a bad case of tearing. The tears are clear but I have to constantly rub his face around his nose with a warm wet washcloth because when it gets stuck on the fur for a bit, it tends to have a smell, not too bad though. I have gone to the vet twice and asked him if there was anything wrong but I've gotten the same answer twice which was: "it's just the breed, try to clear the the hairs around the eye area to prevent irritation" I did this last week, and still no progress. Through recommendation, I have also purchased Angel Eyes for him and he is on his 2nd month being on it with again no improvement with tearing.

Has anyone had this same problem? I would like to find some kind of solution to limit his tearing. I've been reading online and he may need to be put on antibiotics?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
818 Posts
First off, Angel Eyes does contain an antibiotic (tylosan as tartrate). If it's not working after 2 months, I would probably stop using it because of the tylosan. Teething in a puppy can also cause tearing. Also, what are you feeding your puppy? Some puppy foods contain fillers and lots of grains or glutens that might contribute. If you are feeding a good quality puppy food, then perhaps you could add some probiotics/enzymes to the food. Yogurt alone might even help (all natural, non flavored, organic). Some use filtered water for their pups to help with tearing. Your vet is right that you need to keep the hairs short around the face. You are doing well to keep the face clean, as well. If you search on this forum (tear staining) you will find lots of info.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had the same problem with my mini schnauzer/shih tzu since I got her at 8 weeks....she's now 9 months old. I didn't get the Angel Eyes because I read various posts that it doesn't always work and I didn't want to give her anything with antibiotics in it if it may not work. I just did some more extensive searching and found "Angels' Glow Tear Stain Remover"....lots of great reviews that it works AND has NO antibiotics in it.....and I ordered it on amazon.com for $14.90. That's a LOT less than Angel Eyes. I read on another website that Tylosan can be dangerous for a dog so I was glad I didn't buy it. I have not received this yet....I just ordered it, but I will update later and let everyone know if it works. I just thought I'd write and give you a heads up on something that has no antibiotics in it and people posted reviews that it worked for them....but like anything, it may work for some and not for others.....but I think it's worth a try for me and my baby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts