Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 7 month old puppy has found her voice, and then some. Any sort of stimuli - people at the door, people on the street, a dog barking somewhere in the zip code, etc. - and she barks aggressively and loudly. And she keeps it up long after the stimulus is not longer there.

Thoughts on stopping/preventing it?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Move the dog. Away from door, to another room. That is what works here. Takes away the context and interrupts the dog. No punishment just that spot is not working so let's try this spot.

What helped with a couple dogs was jumping up and going to see what was so important. Thank the dog for alerting to the trash truck or whatever and move dog from the spot. After a while of that simply calling out thanks would stop the racket and dog knew he was doing a great job. He also would come to me and remove himself from that spot which had to be half of the reason this worked.

A dog's original job was to bark to alert the pack to something going on. In time your pup will have enough life experience to know that a couple leaves blowing in the wind, a car passing and people talking are normal. Ginger was very yappy when she came here at 5 years old and inside a year barking had gone down by 50% and she now yaps very little.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Some breeds are noisier than others. What breed is your dog?

I treat barking as a privilege, not a right. I would teach your dog to bark on cue and to be silent on cue using rewards for each thing. This might not work for some dogs or for you. It has worked for me.

It also will not work for nuisance barking when you are not around which I handle differently (but not with a dog this young).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish it were as easy as moving her to another room, but she doesn't see anything from her pen. It's all noise she reacts to. When she's outside it's more visual, but it's obviously much harder to control her out there.

She's a border collie/Aussie mix.

Thank God she isn't a nuisance barker when I'm gone. She just barks at any noise, smell, sight, anything when I'm home.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It sounds like she is thinking (those two breeds.. what a surprise! haha) that she needs to tell you all the time.

Teach her a silent cue. Ask for that when she barks and reward for silence. Timing is critical. Do NOT yell when she barks (as tempting as that may be) because then she is like, "Oh you are barking too so I will just keep this up!"

At 7 months old that is what I would do.

A much older dog that blows off a silent cue would get a bark collar but this dog is far too young and the issue with a bark collar is the dog knows when it is on and when it is off so it can give silence but only when it is on. A cue is much better because is shows the dog that silence is desirable and rewarding.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, but how do you avoid the response to stimulus barking encouraging attention barking? In other words, if I got to her to get her to be quiet, how does that not teach her that barking will bring attention and treats?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts