Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 1/2 month old puppy is constantly licking his paws and sometimes even sucking on his back feet. His paws get completely wet from his licking. Is this something to be concerned about? What could be causing him to do this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It has the potential to be a cause for concern if the paws never get a chance to dry because this can cause further irritation which the pup will lick, suck, or even chew at.
It's quite possible that it's the resulting symptom of another cause for concern such as grass or weed allergy. I'd be looking at what you've got growing in the back yard.

I wouldn't worry about nail clipping except with old inactive dogs, youngsters will wear their claws down by running around and they grow back almost over night anyway. If he has black claws the very tip is all that can be clipped anyway due to the length of the quick in black claws. The dew claws however may be an issue if they are so curved that they grow back into the pads.
Sucking may in fact be suckling if he was taken from his mother too early. My two are 15 months old and still occasionally suckle in their sleep.

Hope that's helpful. Best of luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. His paws do get to dry, so they are not constantly wet. They dry pretty quickly after he licks them. I've noticed that he usually licks/sucks his paws when he is settling in to sleep, whether for the night or a nap. That's interesting about the suckling thing, because he does suck on his stuffed bear's nose and does the "pawing" motion like he's suckling. This too seems to be when he is settling in, almost like a comforting/relaxing thing.

There's nothing growing in my backyard. We haven't landscaped it yet, so it's just dirt. He does play there occasionally, but most of his "outdoor time" is on walks around the neighborhood. On our walks he mostly stays on the sidewalk. I'll be more observant of any possible things he could be allergic to though. I do clip his nails. They are clear and easy to see the quick. I don't clip much though, just enough to keep them from being so dang sharp! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 3 yr old girl licks her front paw a lot at bed time, it's her grooming routine. When she's done licking her paw, she licks my arm or hand...rather on the gross side, but she doesn't understand that ;)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What are you feeding? Paw licking is often a sign of allergies.

Also the above is not entirely true about trimming nails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been feeding Wellness Super 5 Mix for puppies and we just recently added the Natural Balance turkey roll thing. I add cut up pieces of the roll to his dry food so he'll eat. I'm researching another food to try because he doesn't seem to really like the Wellness. I started adding the NB after he tried and devoured our friend's dog's food while we were at their house. The paw licking was going on before I added the NB.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've been feeding Wellness Super 5 Mix for puppies and we just recently added the Natural Balance turkey roll thing. I add cut up pieces of the roll to his dry food so he'll eat. I'm researching another food to try because he doesn't seem to really like the Wellness. I started adding the NB after he tried and devoured our friend's dog's food while we were at their house. The paw licking was going on before I added the NB.
I would try switching to something with a different protein source.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We switched our dog to Pinnacle's Duck & Potato. I think it is a fantastic dog food with isolated proteins. We were told to go off chicken -- which seems to be laced into everything. Natural Balance is also good, but we thought Pinnacle smelled better. I would shave the Natural Balance duck roll on the Pinnacle kibble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean by a different protein source? Like a different meat? He's not eating the Natural Balance as enthusiastically as he was. Maybe he's just a picky eater altogether. Could he be allergic to a certain type of meat, or is it more likely another ingredient in the food?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts