Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

We brought our 10 week old collie puppy home just over a week ago - so he's now more like 11.5 weeks. I was just wondering if he is excessively mouthy or if this is normal and I just wasn't prepared for it!

He mouths EVERYTHING. Skin, clothes, carpet, couches, doorstops, hands (even while petting him - we of course stop petting him until he stops biting), blankets, toddler's diapered bum - you name it. I have most of the kids trained (ha!) to "YIP!" loudly when he starts biting and then pet him and praise him when he stops. The only one who doesn't is the toddler - and him I follow like a hawk, yip for him and pick him up when the puppy is too rough. I end up carrying the toddler for the better part of the day - although the puppy will actually let him walk around a lot now compared to last Monday!

He has tons of toys and we (kids incl.) substitute toys for our clothes, hands, blankets etc... constantly. It just doesn't seem to be getting any better.

We do know that part of the problem is that he needs to go out for a walk. He was much better when it wasn't raining and he went out. He does not like to walk in the rain and I know he has to get used to it but I have a sick child home right now who I don't feel like dragging through the mud/rain in order to help Comet get used to walking in the rain. He still does go out on a leash with us in the rain to do his duty but he won't walk off the driveway (which really is fine by me sometimes as we live in a new area with NO grass and tons of mud/wet clay - the grass is coming soon and the area should be cleaner in a month or so).

But at any rate - any more advice on curbing the mouthiness would be greatly appreciated. It seems like yipping gets him to stop for a second but he starts right back in as soon as the petting for the stopping begins and we're starting all over again. Or if we turn our back and walk away, he follows us and nips at our clothes.

He is otherwise a great dog though - housetraining is going pretty good and he sleeps well and eats well and he's a cuddle bug (as long as those teeth are closed in his mouth!).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Sounds perfectly normal. Keep doing what you're doing and he should be cured within 6 months to 2 years.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your puppy is beautiful!! He looks like a sweety.

If he isn't getting enough exercise then that is most of the problem. Board dogs can drive you NUTS!! So I would suggest figuring out a way for him to get more excercise. I bought my dog one of those laser lights and when you shine it on the floor she goes crazy over it and will chase it as long as she can see it and when you turn it off she will look for it for another 10 minutes. Easy way to get her a lot of exercise with out having to go outside.

You may also want to get something to spray on stuff you don't want him chewing on (door jams, molding, ect.). I have heard that hairspray will work. but I used some stuff called Bitter Apple that I got at Petsmart and it worked wonderful. Bella was never bad about chewing most things, but she would get her leash and chew it into. I only had to use the Bitter Apple for a short period of time and she stopped. A friend of mine said she used a "Bully Stick"? and her dog was so busy chewing on that she never chewed on anything else. I don't know, I have never tried a Bully Stick, but maybe someone else on here knows about them.

As far as him mouthing your hands, yeah, Bella is 9 months and I am still trying to break her from it. And now we have a new puppy and she goes for the fingers (she is really tiny).

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I know most people on hear would tell you not to physically abuse your dog in any way but I will admit to give Hawk a quick slap on the nose when he would bite too hard along with a "yelp" sound and that stoped him pritty fast within a week. He dosn't fear hands and never has so for him it worked. he is also a very dominant personality too and it's hard to be too rough with him lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update:

First off, I went to the local pet store and about bought them out of puppy chew toys so that we would have a good supply with which to rotate and keep his interest.

Then, the weather turned beautiful on Tuesday and we've had Comet out as much as we can. He's now exhausted when inside and is much less mouthy! So I think it really was a sort of puppy-cabin fever issue that we were having. We've also come up with a plan should it start to rain again (which it is supposed to do within the next few days). So all is well and peace reigns again.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts