Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kona(beagle) barks excessively at petsmart nowhere else just there.I take him to parks,visiting and everywhere.A little background on him....
I foster beagles and he was my foster then we decided to adopt him he is 3 years old(approx.) Him and my other beagle Kass plus my fosters are a big part of my life so they come everywhere,Why would Kona bark only at petsmart?and what can i do to calm him while there?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Treat the same as any other situation where a dog becomes overwhelmed. Break down all the elements of Petsmart....a full out assault of wonderful smells (food, animals in cages, other dogs, people, shopping carts, flickering overhead lights (?), groomers, fish in tanks, etc).

The hard part is that maybe no single thing by itself will set him off but, the combination of things is enough to put him over the threshold. Watch him closely...note what he is focusing on/looking at when he starts barking.....does it seem to be one or two things or the whole environment in general. Armed with that information, you can start the desensitizing at a distance.

One other possibility....if you always seem rushed when you go in there (running late - other things to do) that anxiety will be spotted in an instant by Kona.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm it does not seem like it is 1 or 2 things,and i am never rushed when i go in we pretty much make a day with the dogs where we have all the time in the world to just relax and enjoy the day.
Next time we go to petsmart i will keep a better eye on him to see if anything specific triggers the barking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts