Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately we have run into a little bit of a problem. My year old pup is VERY vocal and loves to just bark for the fun of it. We have fixed a lot of her problem barking by just ignoring her completely or if needed walking out of the room. She seems to love to bark for attention and out of boredom. She gets plenty of mental and physical exercise a day. Our problem now is she has started waking up at 5:00 am and sits on the couch and barks! At first I got up and opened up the back door thinking she may need to go potty. Nope, she just hangs out on the couch. If I go back to bed she barks and barks and barks. We have resorted to ignoring her but we have all hardwood floors in our house so the echo is horrible. I don't get up until 6:30. Once I'm up she is fine and lays down by me while I get ready and then we go on a walk. My husband is at his final straw as he is starting a new job and really needs his sleep. I've tried putting her in her crate when she is up early...barking. I've tried putting her in the backyard...barking. I've tried closing her in our room with us...barking. I've tried giving her the quiet command...1 minute of silence...barking. I don't know what to do at this point. I guess there is a citronella collar? Would a vibrating collar work in this situation? Collarless Ultrasonic Remote Trainer? I need something I can stay where I'm at and ignore her, but also have a nice correction if need. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't think she understands the quiet command just yet and I'd really hate to see a dog shocked for the crime of being a dog.

It sounds like she thinks that "quiet" means "be quiet for a few seconds", whereas you would like "quiet" to mean "be quiet until you actually have something to bark about". So extend the quiet command. Simply extend the quiet time required to get a treat.

To give you an example, Kabota had terrible dinner manners when I got him. He'd be crawling in my lap to get at my plate, while I was eating from it. So I started with a sit. As soon as his butt hit the floor, he got a bit of my food. Then I made him sit for 5 seconds, then 10, then 20, etc., etc. Now he will wait the entire time I eat for his little scrap at the end, though I do randomly reward him earlier.

I know your husband needs sleep- don't we all?- but sometimes dogs are inconvenient. That's no excuse for shocking them.

If all of the above seems to hard, you could always try giving her a stuffed kong to work on while you go back to sleep. Or moving out to the couch to sleep that last hour and a half.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
One thing that worked with me - My dog barked, I went to him, kneeled at his level, looked him in the eye (not threateningly), and quietly said NO. And, then went back to bed. I could have said Stop, Oops, or Yelp. But, in about 3 days, my dog stopped barking at 5 am.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts