Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Excersise Problems

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  iEpiQ 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum

I have an Australian Terrier. He is about 2 months old. He's very energetic. The problem is, my parents are usually very busy and I am too sometimes gone and busy as well. We take him on a long hike not daily but when we can. I feel good when I do, cause I know my dog is happy. Sadly, the days we don't go, it's hard to get the exercise he needs. I take him outside to play fetch, but I don't feel it's enough. I was wondering if any of you guys know how to quickly burn off all that "Hyperness" that he gets when he is just laying around. This may sound like a "Cheat" for excerise, but I want something that will be healthy for the dog as well. THANKS!

- Yong

#2 ·
I don't know what else to tell you other than you need to walk your dog. Walks are essential for a dog's physical and mental health. He is gonna get even more energetic in the next few months than he is right now... so start making room in your schedule for a 40 minute walk every day at a minimum.

If you absolutely can't spare the time, look into hiring a dog walker.

#4 · (Edited)
If this is a 2 month old puppy, as the OP states, he shouldn't be leaving the yard or going on hikes or even walks... and definitely shouldn't be playing on a flirt pole.

An important element is mental exercise, though. If you spend 5 minutes in training sessions a day, you might find that helps.

If he is older than 4 months, and has had all his shots, then find the time to take him for walks. Make it a priority in your life. Playing fetch is great to wear him out, but walking provides bonding and roaming that the dog needs. That's the only advice I can give about that. :)

#5 · (Edited)
I will admit that I did not see how old the puppy was.....but why on earth could a puppy not play w/a flirt pole?...as long as they are not being jerked around or repeatedly jumping....I don't see any difference then playing w/any other toy :confused:

are you sure you know what a flirt pole is?....you don't play ON it...the puppy plays WITH it

while I don't recommend that the flirt pole be used instead of daily walks .....it can be used to add to play or training time...or on the days you just cant take that long walk you normally do.

#6 ·
The flirt pole is an excellent idea as long as there is no jumping involved, far better at this age than walking. I agree with the training as well of course, 5 minute sessions 3-4 times a day to wear him out mentally as well as a puppy class for socialization. Go to the training forum and search the sticky's, I suggest Doggy Zen, Rev Up/Cool Down and Targeting AKA "Touch"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.