Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from work today to a very energetic canine. It's dark outside and the house doesn't have an appropriate location for serious play. How do you exercise your dogs at night? Or do they have to wait till morning?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I know a lot of people who walk their dogs when it's dark out (usually early morning but sometimes late at night). It would be hard not to do that around here in the winter when it gets dark at 4 pm :mad:. It depends how safe your area is and how comfortable you are in the dark. The dogs certainly don't care!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I just exercise my dog inside although I only have a Pap so she's not very big. We play fetch, tug and a weird game of me dragging a toy on a string on the ground and running around with a mad dog chasing me :p I just use the carpeted hallway to play with her since there's the most length that I can find to throw stuff.

I think walking is ok at night, at least in my neighborhood. Also my neighbor has glow in the dark balls and frisbees so they can do that too if they have a yard or small park nearby.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I came home from work today to a very energetic canine. It's dark outside and the house doesn't have an appropriate location for serious play. How do you exercise your dogs at night? Or do they have to wait till morning?
If safety is a concern or you cannot walk far enough or hard enough to take the dog down a few notches, a treadmill is always a good way to do it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh I guess I was never that comfortable walking at night but why not? I live in the country so there are no street lights and a decent amount of wildlife and woods about. I also live next to a park where many young whipper snappers like to go to late at night and I prefer not to chance a meeting.

As to my Papillon, she is quite mellow, it's my Australian Shepherd that is so energetic, and playing in the house doesn't work that well with him being so big.

oh lol and we don't have a treadmill, though I'd sure like one. :)

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Huh I guess I was never that comfortable walking at night but why not? I live in the country so there are no street lights and a decent amount of wildlife and woods about. I also live next to a park where many young whipper snappers like to go to late at night and I prefer not to chance a meeting.

As to my Papillon, she is quite mellow, it's my Australian Shepherd that is so energetic, and playing in the house doesn't work that well with him being so big.

oh lol and we don't have a treadmill, though I'd sure like one. :)
The wildlife is not what I would be concerned with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the most part I'm not I simply struggle with a fear of bears and there have been sightings near us. I know it's silly but all I see are there huge claws and getting in between a momma and baby by accident. And yes mostly I'm worried about coming across tresspassing individuals, I'm sure Jet could intimidate them but I'd rather not find out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My dogs tend to amuse themselves at night and wrestle together with their stuffies.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Would it be safter to get up a bit ealier in the morning and walk hard and long so your dog is tired? Then perhaps a game of fetch in your yard when you get home from work?

Otherwise, what about doggy day care?
Doesn't sound like walking at night is safe in your area.
It is here, and I have been known to do that, but usually we go for morning or afternoon walks, with a fetch session at night (or they wrestle and take care of it themselves).

My dogs tend to be tired at night, regardless of her activity during the day. Maybe you can try and program that into your dogs schedule? Ours know we get tired and lazy in the evening until we go to bed, so they follow suit.

You could get him bones to chew on when you get home (I prefer antlers), so he has something to do, or play games in the house (hide-n-seek), or work on training and teaching tricks, perhaps. Mental stimulation can tire a dog out, too. I do realize you have an Aussie though, and I do know they like/need their physical activity, though they are a breed that thrives on mental stim.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I know a lot of people who walk their dogs when it's dark out (usually early morning but sometimes late at night). It would be hard not to do that around here in the winter when it gets dark at 4 pm :mad:. It depends how safe your area is and how comfortable you are in the dark. The dogs certainly don't care!
This is what we do. It's dark before work, it's dark after work, it's dark when we walk the dog. I love winter, but the short days are killer. Our house is tiny so indoor exercise isn't super practical for us either. BUT tug is a pretty, low-space, low-likelihood-of-running-into-things-and-knocking-them-down game. I like tug because it's awesome exercise and it's easy to incorporate obedience and self-control training.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I feel your pain, this has been exact new problem too!! I get out of work at 5, and I used to love taking her to the park to walk for a few hours until it got dark. Walking in the dark was never a problem last year when my GSD was alive, even though she was a complete teddy bear nobody would bother us and I figured the Fisher Cats and Coyotes wouldn't either. Now that it's been getting dark by the time I get home from work, I've had no way of walking teeny little Lola. I fear the fisher cats too much to even let her off leash after the sun goes down. So we've been rotating our walks in various petcos/petsmarts. I so wish they had indoor dog parks.

Next week i'm going to try to get up earlier and attempt morning walks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I used to get off work around 12am-1am in the summer. Since the days were so hot my dog wouldn't get much outside time to really burn off energy. I started running at night with her on leash whenever I got off work. She stayed on leash whole time, I carried my phone, and I carried pepper spray. My brother was usually up late as well so if I wasn't back in any reasonable time he knew where I was going. But yea, that's what we did. Granted, I live in a large city that is quite safe and the scrawny coyotes in the area never gave us a problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would it be safter to get up a bit ealier in the morning and walk hard and long so your dog is tired? Then perhaps a game of fetch in your yard when you get home from work?

That is the joy of an aussie, particularly one being worked back into shape. You work him hard in the morning and by night time he is recooped and ready for more! I am greeted with "HI YOUR HOME! Good! I'm ready to PLAY!!!!" Followed by happy tap dancing and bounding about, it's really adorable.

I'm working on the early morning outings, which depending can be a hit or miss since I will sometimes have to work in the barn before going to work in town.

I think tug will work well for us too, and be good exercise for me.
At the moment we have been taking him for bikejorring, about 2-4miles on a given day followed with some play. I have off for the next two days so he's getting a little more now, really start to feel it mid week though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
coyotes and raccoons are especially fun to watch out for if you have small to mid-sized dogs as well.. =)

I have mid-sized dogs and a really big living space so we have a few different night time games...

Fetch...up and down stairs...this is especially fun if you have a friend to stand at the top of the stairs while you're at the bottom, its much like keep away with the dog dashing back and forth up and down the stairs in between.

Treadmills are awesome, check craiglist nearby or drop the hint around your friends that you're looking for one. We actually were given a wonderful new Nordic Trak for our pups when we were talking to co-workers about buying one. They had one for years and it had been sitting in their basement the whole time untouched!

Lure chasing is great but does need some space, easy to make though and high prey drive dogs adore chasing around the lure while you get to rest, relatively speaking. LOL

Fetch down hallways can be good too or at least toy chasing down hallways...tug can be good and distracting, just make sure you keep control of the game and don't let it escalate to anything aggressive. =)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Arthur's hyper times are in the afternoon and evenings. He gets regular walks right up through to eleven o'clock at night. I just got him a retractable leash so his walks are more like runs for him and that's fine with me.

We almost exclusively play inside right now because the weather is miserable and most of our playing involves HIM being active and expecting me to stand in one spot, lol--so we play tug of war, fetch (my house has lots of angles and hallways so it's really fun for him because he has to "hunt" for his toy), modified chase, and his favourite game where he grabs his Lemur by the legs and I drag him (and lemur) around the house.

I also play a game with him where I wear a bunnyhug type hoodie (with a large front pocket) and hide a squeaky toy in there and push the squeaker and he has to dig for it. He LOVES that game.

I assume he gets enough exercise because he always seems "played out" after a few hours and sleeps very soundly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts