Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I'll ever get to pick. The sad ones always find me, and I'll always take the ones that need me.

I like dogs that are ready to go. I love to go to parks, walk, bike, roller blade with my pups. I also have a mini agility course in my back yard, so I keep my pups fairly busy. I do like dogs that settle down when we're done, though. Size is not really important, although I'd be scared of stepping on anything smaller than Brigit (8lbs). I like a dog with a big bark, but not one whos going to be prone to barking nonstop. I know that's mostly training, but some of it's personality or breed also. I want a dog that likes water, I want a beach dog. I want a smart dog to keep me on my toes. The dog has to be able to deal with heat, bc I'm in Houston, and we get the heat & humidity, and I see boxers, pugs, and bostons all the time that just don't look like happy campers. Grooming is also not an issue. I would prefer something that I could groom at home, but I wouldn't be opposed to learning how to groom a particular breed myself. And let me add, I have rats and plan to have them in the future, so probably no terriers. It's hard enough keeping the doxies away, I'd prefer something that didn't have that attitude about rodents.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
How about a Vizsla? Or a Weimeraner if you want something a little bigger.

For a bit more of a water dog how about a Springer Spaniel?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I know they're completely different, but Poodle and Pembroke Welsh Corgi both come to mind.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
How about an Irish Water Spaniel or Standard Poodle, or, if you wanted to go a bit smaller, either a Portuguese Waterdog or American Water Spaniel

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh, for some reason spaniels didn't even cross my mind. I think a Springer could be great fun. I have often thought about a standard poodle. Something about Weimeraners just doesn't do it for me. I think all the ones I know are too goofy.

And Michael, I don't know if I could do a dalmation, I'd be able to see dirt on that white coat, and I'd constantly be trying to clean it. Trust me, ask my white cats! I do like dals, though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Michael, I don't know if I could do a dalmation, I'd be able to see dirt on that white coat, and I'd constantly be trying to clean it. Trust me, ask my white cats! I do like dals, though.
With Chip, (and now with Patchs), a quick pass with a "shedin' blade" they're good to go!!! Short coats are easy to clean and fast to wash!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts