Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have nothing against Bernese Mountain Dogs, but folks on the street think my Aussie is a Berner......any Berner people out there? Are Aussies anything like Berner's?

I think Berners are not much in behavior like a Berner.

I was warned that a tri-boy Aussie would be mistaken for a Berner and it sure does....

Bernese Mountain Dog.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Berners are a lot bigger, but I can see why they'd think that. The face structure is different, too, but I guess not everyone would spot the differences, unless you have pictures to compare.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Berner's are WAY bigger!! My guy is almost full grown and is under 40 pounds!!

Berner's, I believe, are around 100 pound dogs!!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Could you post a picture of your puppy? I can see him in your signature but do you have a body shot? I can see why someone would mistake him for a Berner, but I can also see that he is an Aussie not a Berner.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Your sig pic does look like a berner puppy, but I'm sure if I saw him in person I'd know he was an aussie based on size if nothing else...for some reason your sig makes him look big though.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've always thought he looked like he has very loose skin and kinda jowly I can see why people would mistake him for a berner puppy

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was at the humane society last summer, and a lady brought in a puppy she found running around. At first glance, I thought, OMG a Berner puppy. This one had all the markings like a Berner, but had blue eyes. It was gorgeous. I had no idea Aussie pups came in this colouring.

I still get people sometimes asking us what kind of dogs we have. So, if they dont' know what we have, I can see where they might think your Aussie is a Berner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We had that last year. We even had a couple walking their Bernese come up to us to talk about ours. :) After he lost his "puppyness" we havent had that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
One of my clients has a big male tri aussie. He is constantly being mistaken for a Berner! Once he was missing for an afternoon and the Animal Control had picked him up. (You guessed it...he wasn't wearing a tag) and when she called there to see if they had picked up an aussie they said no...but they did just pick up a Bernese Mtn Dog. Umm hello? Even the pound didn't recognize the fact that this was an aussie? He doesn't have a tail, to start with! LOL

So, I can see from your pictures that your cute aussie is going to have the same affliction! Especially with that big white blaze!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm gonna post some new standing shots as as soon as my camera battery gets fired up!!!

This is NOT a recent shot. Val isn't in the mood for posing for photos so I am posting a shot of him when he was two months.

P.S. that's not my hand/arm, either....this photo was taken right before we picked up Val.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Does he still have the puffball hair ? People used to mistake Red for a bear cub when he had that hair thing going on . He looks Aussie to me . Wait till his hair goes straight , he will look different .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, he still has puppy fuzz mostly. He has yet to get his adult coat. It's growing in just a little bit right now.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
not everyone is breed savvy. On first glace, I would probably assume that your pup is a Berner. Its just his coloring that makes everyone assume that he's a Berner. (love the sig, btw).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, my other girl (RIP), was a red merle, so she didn't get mistaken for anything, she looked Aussie through and through. She was a rather big girl and coyote looking, in the National Stock Dog Registry and had more of a "rougher" look!!

She was the best girl though and we miss her loads.

Val is the best boy, though!

·
Registered
442 Posts
How recent is your sig photo ? That's the way Red's hair was up until about 6 or so months old. Then it turned into ( how do I explain it ) , long but still a little wavy . Not sure why young Aussies have that Afro look early in life . I took Red hiking a lot when he was a youngster and it began to really bug me cause of the bear cub comments from people we met on the trails :D .

Yes, he still has puppy fuzz mostly. He has yet to get his adult coat. It's growing in just a little bit right now.
From this hairdoo

To this hairdoo , in about 6-8 weeks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The sig photo is a month old. His fur is still on the fuzzy side but the adult coat is just coming in.

What a difference from puppy to adult, eh? I guess every breed has a different growth of fur from puppy to adult, some more than others!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts