Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have two dogs, I've noticed an interesting phenomenon when I take them out. People tend to gush over the puppy--which I understand completely. He is a cute little guy.

Yesterday, some girls on their way to school came up to us and started cooing. :p One said, "The little one is my favorite." Same thing with a solicitor who showed up yesterday afternoon.

This doesn't upset me. These people don't know me or my dogs. I know and love them for their personalities, not their looks. (Although my biased opinion is that both are adorable.) I'd be upset if someone made positive comments about Clayton at Cupid's expense, but that hasn't been the case.

So I'm wondering, do you have a dog that people rave about when you go out? And if so, does it bother you?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Everyone gushes over Butch. He is a cutie and quite demanding of attention because he believes it is his due. Roxxy is much more reserved around strangers. It's just her.

This does not bother me at all. Butch is quite cute and I acknowledge that I know it...in a humerous way. They think Roxxy is sweet, once she lets them pet her.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah, people always rave about Honey more because of her baby face. Seriously, Honey's face makes her look like she's barely 2 years old. She's also much more responsive to squeals and general attention. Spunky will sniff you for a bit and if she decides you're not interesting, she'll leave you alone. Honey will literally plonk her butt on your foot and ask for more cuddles. It doesn't bother me at all, it's just the way they are. I'm just glad coincidence had it that the more attention-seeking one is also the more baby-faced one.

·
Registered
999 Posts
People in my neighborhood love to look at Tiberius from a distance. Most of them are still convinced he is a mean dog, or is a wolf I'm keeping illegaly. When I had my beagle people would come right up. coo and baby talk him. They'd let him jump in their laps, even though I was trying to break him of jumping. He was a sucker for attention too...he still is lol.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Every time we are at the dog park people are always going nuts over Lola. They first go nuts on how she looks then they pet her and they go nuts the way she lays on her back looking for a belly rub. Then they go nuts on how well she is behaved and how well she is trained. It does not bother me and it sure does not bother Lola. She loves the attention people give her.

Sometimes I will even show off my training skills. One thing I do is lay about 4-5 treats on the table at the dog park. Lola will be sitting on the table as I am doing this. She then will wait until I point to a treat. She then eats the one I pointed to, goes back into a sitting position until I point to the next one and she repeats the process until the treats that I laid out are gone. People are amazed and then usually say that their dog would never do that.

Sometimes I will have her sit and wait at the dog park. She will sit in position, I then walk away from her for about 60-75 feet then I turn around show her the treat I have in my hand. She remains sitting until I call her and then she comes running for the treat.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Absolutely. Everyone LOVES Mia. They bypass the champion-pedigreed GSDs and go right to little fuzzy Mia. :) It doesn't bother me at all. I appreciate each of my dogs for their individual traits, personalities and looks, so I can certainly understand the draw to this little (65lb) sweetie!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Bolo always gets EXTREME reactions from people in one of a few categories..

a. shrieking horror because she's a pit bull

b. nervous admiration because she's a well behaved pit bull with interesting ears and a brindled coat

c. fawning adoration because she's a well behaved pit bull with interesting ears and a brindled coat

d. slavering covetousness because she's a pit bull.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Sadly, neither my cocker spaniel, nor my basset are chick magnets. They seem to attract kids by the dozens, but no women. :( I'm ashamed of both of them.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Whenever I have all my dogs with me, or if someone new comes to the house... It's Callahan that steals the show at all times. They love his looks more than anything.

I love all my dogs for all different reasons lol. They are all my babies and get the same loving! But Callahan is definitely a show stopper. When I say that he and Jade are siblings... no one can believe it because they think she just looks goofy and "stupid" sigh... that bothers me. But I know they dont mean it in a mean way... but uggh, they could find some other word for it!

They do look completely diff I agree... but I dont fault her for her goofy looks! :p

Nessa

·
Registered
643 Posts
Different ppl gush over different dogs with me. Kids love Brigit bc she's small and still looks like a puppy. Dog ppl like Cerbie bc he's (generally) super well-behaved. And for some reason, old men like Max. I don't understand it, but the elderly men walkers in my neighborhood love him.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Sadly, neither my cocker spaniel, nor my basset are chick magnets. They seem to attract kids by the dozens, but no women. :( I'm ashamed of both of them.
Butch is a chick magnet but that does me no good because, well, I'm a chick too! We did a charity walk one time and he had about 6 teenage girls just all over him...he ate it up because, well, human adulation is his due. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
About 18 years ago we had a shih tzu and people really didn't know much about them then. Now, of course, it's a different story.

People came up to us all of the time because Bo-Liu was such a black and white cutie pie.

Bo's been in dog heaven for awhile now.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
People in my neighborhood love to look at Tiberius from a distance. Most of them are still convinced he is a mean dog, or is a wolf I'm keeping illegaly.
Ditto here on the wolf thing - I get that ALL the time. Sometimes people ask "Is that a wolf!?" in a terrified way, sometimes in a swooning sort of way. :D It can get a little crazy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Trent attracts so many people. I've lived at my current home for 6-7 uears and don't know so many people. Now that Trent's home, I think I just about know everyone in this neighborhood. Little kids run up begging to pet him, adults gush over how cute and sweet and adorable and fuzzy he is, elderly people taking a walk stop by to give him a pat. He doesn't seem to enjoy it particularly, nor does he dislike it, but it's great socialization for us both!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ditto here on the wolf thing - I get that ALL the time. Sometimes people ask "Is that a wolf!?" in a terrified way, sometimes in a swooning sort of way. :D It can get a little crazy. :rolleyes:
It is crazy. I live on a road with lots of folks in the 60s and older. There are only a few kids. Of course the kids think him being a wolf would be awesome..but all the older folks think he is going eat them in their sleep. lol :D

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Usually any time I take Shadow out there's always someone who wants to gush over her. I guess because she's sort of unique looking to some of the people, most people say something like "Oh my goodness she's beautiful!!! I've never seen a dog that looked like her!!!" (While I'm going, come on people she's a red merle Aussie... she's not that different looking).

chul3l3ies1126- I can't believe anyone would think Jade is goofy looking! I think she's gorgeous! Both Callahan and Jade are just stunning to look at!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts