Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one I am working on finding a home for. She came out of a pet shop in Florida and the owners need to place her.
But since I had the photos I thought I would share them.

This is NOT an Australian Cattle Dog with a docked tail. This is a Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog. A natural Bob tailed dog.

This is a "Sister" breed to the Australian Cattle Dog.
But since I had the photos I thought I would share them.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I've never heard of a stumpy tail cattle dog before. Isn't that an unusual breed for a pet shop? She is beautiful. She looks taller than an ACD, maybe? Less stocky. Same kind of temperament?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've never heard of a stumpy tail cattle dog before. Isn't that an unusual breed for a pet shop? She is beautiful. She looks taller than an ACD, maybe? Less stocky. Same kind of temperament?
Cute dog! I met one at a Bob Vest stock dog clinic many years ago. A question - around here a lot of the farm-dog cattledogs have docked tails, and many don't have the substance you see in show lines. As rescue how do you decide if it is a Stumpy or a poorly bred ACD? Do you feel of the tail? Is it because they don't have tan points?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Never seen them in person, but I have heard of them, seen pictures, and read about them.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cute dog! I met one at a Bob Vest stock dog clinic many years ago. A question - around here a lot of the farm-dog cattledogs have docked tails, and many don't have the substance you see in show lines. As rescue how do you decide if it is a Stumpy or a poorly bred ACD? Do you feel of the tail? Is it because they don't have tan points?
Technically I suppose ACDs and Stumpys are the same breed. One of the original dogs used in development was a natural bob. At one time they bred the bobtails and tailed together. Litters would contain both tailed and bobbed puppies. They split the breeds about a hundred years ago. From there the two breeds traveled their own paths. Much like APBTs and Am Staffs.

Most tail less cattle dogs you see are docked ACDs. But Stumpys are around. Stumpy's do not have copper markings on their face or legs. The blues can have black markings but no copper. IF someone knows ACDs they can pick out a Stumpy easily. The body structure is lighter, less substance, etc. Ear set tends to be different. It gets more confusing because there are still people around that interbreed them.

I am happy to say this girl found a new home. The new owners picked her up this morning.

Here is a photo comparing an ACD and a Stumpy. Side by side Stumpys jump out at you.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Most 'heelers' (as the locals call them) around here tend to be fairly light in build compared to a show bred ACD and almost all seem to have docked tails.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
One of my neighbors walks a red ticked stumpy-tailed dog past pretty regularly. Her tail looks naturally bobbed (fur pluming a bit. . .don't really see that with docks) and she's lighter-built than I think of an ACD being. Someday I'll have to stop her and ask!

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my neighbors walks a red ticked stumpy-tailed dog past pretty regularly. Her tail looks naturally bobbed (fur pluming a bit. . .don't really see that with docks) and she's lighter-built than I think of an ACD being. Someday I'll have to stop her and ask!
IT probably is a Stumpy...... There are a number in the Dakotas. In fact there was an inquiry from North Dakota on this dog.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most 'heelers' (as the locals call them) around here tend to be fairly light in build compared to a show bred ACD and almost all seem to have docked tails.
You see the same thing here. Alot of them have something or another crossed in. Often Stumpys.

And where you are at there is a notorious "heeler" breeder that has her own thing going. A strange mix of stumpys, acds, and who knows what else. She has minis...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is one gorgeous dog!!! :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Lady is a cross between a Stumpy and an ACD. She got the color and most of her build from her ACD side but she got the naturally bobbed tail and definitely the shape of her head from her Stumpy side.

·
Registered
500 Posts
She's ADORABLE! I love that big butt splotch. If I were in Florida I'd put in for adopting her, but I'm on the other side of the country. I love Heelers, don't care what type, color, or build.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Every so often, a stumpy shows up at the regional ACD rescue. I don't think I'd be able to tell the two apart, not without more practice anyway. Are their personalities pretty much the same?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every so often, a stumpy shows up at the regional ACD rescue. I don't think I'd be able to tell the two apart, not without more practice anyway. Are their personalities pretty much the same?
Stumpy's tend to be a bit more sensitive. And probably a bit less tenacious than ACDs. But their energy and working drive tends to be off the charts.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's ADORABLE! I love that big butt splotch. If I were in Florida I'd put in for adopting her, but I'm on the other side of the country. I love Heelers, don't care what type, color, or build.
She went to her new home this morning. I did not do this through a rescue. Just did it independently. The dog stayed with the old owner until we found her a home. I posted her last night and had so many hits on this girl it was not funny. In the end an ACD savvy family answered and ad the owner had placed. I am confident she got a good home.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You see the same thing here. Alot of them have something or another crossed in. Often Stumpys.

And where you are at there is a notorious "heeler" breeder that has her own thing going. A strange mix of stumpys, acds, and who knows what else. She has minis...
The Cowgirls? They are not "where we are at" (Central OK). I believe they were in Missouri, and now in Arkansas. I agree that a lot of the ACD/Blue heelers you see around here look more like the Stumpys except that they have tan points, and many have docked tails.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Cowgirls? They are not "where we are at" (Central OK). I believe they were in Missouri, and now in Arkansas. I agree that a lot of the ACD/Blue heelers you see around here look more like the Stumpys except that they have tan points, and many have docked tails.
They have been in a bunch of States. They move around. They were in OK... Have been in MO, and now in AR... There was another state in there as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts