Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We taught Poca "find it" when she was a puppy as one of the many games we played with her to burn off excess puppy energy. I would hide treats around the house and patio and she would sniff them out one by one ("No, baby, you're cold, COLD! Oh, you're getting warmer, ouch, ouch HOT!").

Fast forward to today. DH took her to the vet because she's sick (IBD). Vet gave her a shot & some other meds and told us to not to feed her for 24 hours. She slept the rest of the day and started to feel better around 6:00. How do I know? Because she has been stalking non-stop for food for almost 5.5 hours. Round and round she goes, room to room, hiding place to hiding place, upstairs, downstairs, upstairs, downstairs, round and round, looking for treats. She has tossed her beds, shoved her head under the couch, chairs, the armoire, bed -- anywhere she thinks there may be a little treat hiding. Again and again and again. Aaaarrrrggghhhhh. Poor thing. I hate "find it."

Anything you regret teaching your dog?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Teaching Spunky to bring me my keys. I thought it would be great at first until I realised how slobbery said keys would be.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
First let me say, I am glad that Poca is doing better. I too have taught all of my dogs "find it" so far, it has not back fired. The trick that back fired on me was retrieving from the refrigerator. It took a long time and quite a few groceries to retrain that one. I will NOT be making that same mistake twice. I have been sadly lacking in the teaching department with the current 2 dogs that I have now. That might just be for the best. lol

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'm not sure how this behavior chain was established, but every time Spunky comes into the dining room, she walks through the door, dips her nose into the trash can for a split second without sniffing or taking anything, then comes over to me. It's not even like she's checking it out or anything... she just does it for a split second, like it's habit.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Speak. Jack IS an Elkhound, but he never barked. Not in the first 6 months or so that we had him. I thought it was sad he either never found his voice, or since he was previously abused if someone beat him for barking. Now if only "Quiet" would be as easy to learn.

And stupidly I taught Smalls to open doors and turn on/off the lights because I thought it was SO clever. If I am on the computer or doing anything that doesn't involve her and she is bored, she will turn the light off on me repeatedly. She knows "cheese" means treat, so if it is mentioned in casual conversation about dinner or something, she will keep going in the kitchen and opening the fridge. We have to LOCK our fridge. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teaching Spunky to bring me my keys. I thought it would be great at first until I realised how slobbery said keys would be.
Plus there's all that implied pressure to go somewhere! One of these days I'm going to write a book about owning a dog called "Not-so-great Expectations!"

I thought it would be fun to teach my dogs to open doors. But after some thought, I decided aginst it.
I had that thought, too, and then realized that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea with an escape artist like mine...Nope. Definitely not.

First let me say, I am glad that Poca is doing better. I too have taught all of my dogs "find it" so far, it has not back fired. The trick that back fired on me was retrieving from the refrigerator. It took a long time and quite a few groceries to retrain that one. I will NOT be making that same mistake twice. I have been sadly lacking in the teaching department with the current 2 dogs that I have now. That might just be for the best. lol
Thanks, Inga. Hopefully she'll eat and take her meds in the morning without incident. I can't imagine the mess Poca would create with self-serve access to the fridge. Some things are better left a mystery to our canine friends!

I'm not sure how this behavior chain was established, but every time Spunky comes into the dining room, she walks through the door, dips her nose into the trash can for a split second without sniffing or taking anything, then comes over to me. It's not even like she's checking it out or anything... she just does it for a split second, like it's habit.
Are you sure there's not a ghost in there??? :D

Speak. Jack IS an Elkhound, but he never barked. Not in the first 6 months or so that we had him. I thought it was sad he either never found his voice, or since he was previously abused if someone beat him for barking. Now if only "Quiet" would be as easy to learn.

And stupidly I taught Smalls to open doors and turn on/off the lights because I thought it was SO clever. If I am on the computer or doing anything that doesn't involve her and she is bored, she will turn the light off on me repeatedly. She knows "cheese" means treat, so if it is mentioned in casual conversation about dinner or something, she will keep going in the kitchen and opening the fridge. We have to LOCK our fridge. :rolleyes:
I made the barking mistake, too. Like you, I had this perfectly quiet dog who rarely barked. Then she learned it would get her yummies and play. Uh-oh. Dumb mommy. Love the light thing - that's just plain funny! And maybe you need a new word for "cheese" - call it "carpet" or "mother-in-law."

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I made the barking mistake, too. Like you, I had this perfectly quiet dog who rarely barked. Then she learned it would get her yummies and play. Uh-oh. Dumb mommy. Love the light thing - that's just plain funny! And maybe you need a new word for "cheese" - call it "carpet" or "mother-in-law."
:p Why won't we ever learn? Smalls never barks, but the minute Jack learns Jonas suddenly learns and it just takes one little yip for both of them to get going. Smalls just looks at them like "Are you serious? What are you yelling about?"
Smalls surprises me every day with how intelligent she is, but I will have to take your idea and call cheese something new, AND start taping my light switches in the "on" position.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I taught Buster Brown to shake, big mistake its his favorite trick. When ever he wants something he comes and paws at us. And my poor husband gets pawed in the face ALOT.

Tanner kinda taught himself this one...
Tanner knows when Im wearing my work clothes and knows my work shoes. So when I'm getting ready or right after hes done eating, he puts himself in his kennel and just lays there quietly. Then I leave or go to bed and forget to close the kennel door, and he has free roam of the house to distroy whatever he wants. (the only behavoral problem, which he only does when by himself)

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
I've had two bell-trained dogs and the whole family would agree that was a huge mistake.

I didn't teach Esther to retrieve tennis balls but I encouraged it. The downside is that she is persistant to the point of throwing a ball at someone (usually me) who isn't paying attention or being attentive. I've been hit hard in unfortunate places more times than I can count.

If a ball rolls under some furniture - even there us another ball in plain sight - she will try to move the furniture. Tennis balls have been banished to the yard and indoor toys are the ones that don't roll.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
So far I haven't regretted any of the tricks or behaviors I've taught Donatello.

What I regret is not teaching some of the behaviors sooner! For the first few months since I've had Donatello I let him use the sofa as his "safe-zone", his "security blanket"... Well, after reading several books and talking with everyone here on DF, I decided that needed to stop. He was becoming possessive over the couch and it would only be a matter of time until he snapped at me for taking his spot.

So I started training him to "sit" and wait for my permission before jumping on the sofa. He can do that now no problem, and very rarely forgets, but if I'm not by the sofa, he jumps up anyway... -.- Now I'm kind of stuck on how to get him to be reliable even if I'm in the next room.

He does really well in our bedroom, he jumps down every morning, and waits by his food bowl for me to make the bed, then once I'm finished I'll point to it and he'll jump back up. He does that really good...

I just wish some of these behaviors I would have started when I rescued him...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I taught Sam to "leave it" when we accidentally drop food on the floor. It was really useful since we didn't have to scramble to grab whatever piece of dinner fell on the floor before he did. However, he somehow extrapolated this to mean that he had to "leave" his food bowl alone too. Took two weeks of hand feeding him kibble for him to get it! Now he'll leave stuff when I say so, not just because it's on the floor. I dunno if I regret teaching him "leave it" as much as I regret his interpretation of it!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...AND start taping my light switches in the "on" position.
LOL! Well service dogs must learn how to turn them both off and on, right? Glad I'm not in the room for that training, though - that would drive me batty!

So when I'm getting ready or right after hes done eating, he puts himself in his kennel and just lays there quietly. Then I leave or go to bed and forget to close the kennel door, and he has free roam of the house to distroy whatever he wants. (the only behavoral problem, which he only does when by himself)
Sounds like a smart dog! I hear you on the pawing thing, too. Poca will do that sometimes. I try to ignore her when she throws behaviors I haven't asked for, although it's so entertaining watching her come up with the combinations.

I didn't teach Esther to retrieve tennis balls but I encouraged it. The downside is that she is persistant to the point of throwing a ball at someone (usually me) who isn't paying attention or being attentive. I've been hit hard in unfortunate places more times than I can count.
Banning sounds like a smart policy. Good thing she doesn't have the same penchant for baseballs!

...and very rarely forgets, but if I'm not by the sofa, he jumps up anyway... -.- Now I'm kind of stuck on how to get him to be reliable even if I'm in the next room.
We put car mats with the nubby side up on our furniture for a while when Poca was a puppy. Some dogs don't like the feel of the plastic nubs on their paws. Worked to teach her to stay off the couch.

However, he somehow extrapolated this to mean that he had to "leave" his food bowl alone too. Took two weeks of hand feeding him kibble for him to get it! Now he'll leave stuff when I say so, not just because it's on the floor. I dunno if I regret teaching him "leave it" as much as I regret his interpretation of it!
Yikes - that could be a real problem! Talk about unintended consequences!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I didn't exactly teach him this, he taught himself after watching me do it, but I regret that Jackson learned how to turn on the bathtub faucet to use as a drinking fountain. Quite a few times I hear scrambling in the bathroom then hear the water running... I walk in to find my monkey happily lapping up the water. :D (Yes, I do keep bowls of fresh water in nearly every room! He just likes the fun of drinking running water, I guess!) Maybe I should train him to turn it OFF after he's finished!

I've had two bell-trained dogs and the whole family would agree that was a huge mistake.
I'm sorry to hear that. Mine were bell-trained from about 9 weeks and it's been wonderful. Dabney did go through a musical phase where he enjoyed "cuddling" with one of the bells and softly ringing it over and over with his nose, but it was easy to tell when he really needed to go (one sharp, resounding "ding," after which he sits there looking cutely at you waiting for you to open the door -- sometimes he bops the doorknob with his nose, for added emphasis -- versus the soft, legato "ding... ding... ding... ding... ding" of his musical efforts).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Again and again and again. Aaaarrrrggghhhhh. Poor thing. I hate "find it."

Anything you regret teaching your dog?
I didn't teach my dog that, we're just kinda messy so she learned it :(. And it does drive me nuts so I know what you're talking about.

What I regret actually purposely teaching her was to ring the bells hanging on the door to be let out (well, it's not too bad cause I just got rid of them and it solved that problem). She just learned it was a great way of getting my attention when she was bored (oh, I'll ring the bells and htat will get mom to get up and come over here).

Oh, and my dog does the run into her kennel thing when she realizes I'm getting ready for work. Quite enthusiastically too for whatever reason.

I have two jobs. One of them is a vet clinic that I bring her with me. She has also learned when I'm starting to do prep work for closing and she gets all excited.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
"speak"

As ThoseWordsAtBest said, if only "Quiet" could be as easy.

·
Banned
220 Posts
We taught Maddie to jump. It's fine on command and if she's so excited she'll jump and kiss our faces-we like to think it's gratitude for announcing it's time for a walk.

When she jumps without being asked, and jumps on other people, that's the problem. We tell her to get off and "no"--without saying "don't jump" or something with the word jump in it. So, we regret that.

She was in the car the other day and we had the window all the way down-we werent far from her, but she needed a break from being outside with the other dogs-and I wanted her to come to the window and put her paws on it to be closer. But I did not dare ask....I do not want to teach her that because that's step 1. Step 2, jump out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I taught Buster Brown to shake, big mistake its his favorite trick. When ever he wants something he comes and paws at us. And my poor husband gets pawed in the face ALOT.
My doberman rescue came with this trick under his belt and same thing. It was the trick he would resort to whenever he wasn't sure what i was asking him to do, and i got a big doberman paw in my face many times!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Give kisses--now I have a dog that licks all the time. If he wants your attention, he licks ya. He is a 125 pound rottie with lots of drool!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts