Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Yesterday I had to throw out Ziva's little bed, as they had chewed a hole and pulled out stuffing. I also have a huge, huge bed in the living room they both lay on, but we've found a hole chewed through that, as well.
I have tons of extra material, and I was thinking instead of throwing the big bed away, I could just use the stuffing to make two smaller beds.
Ive never made one before...has anyone else?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I have but not with stuffing. Chester will chew up any stuffed dog bed, but when I made him one of dense upholstery foam (car upholstery foam to be specific) he is happy with it. Just cut to size and tightly wrapped with in old twin sheet (sewn shut). Then a second twin flat sheet made into a "pillow case" that can be slipped on and folded over at the end so it fits tightly but is removable.

You can buy outdoor fabric that is really durable (made for lawn chair cushions and outside sun shades etc) from most larger fabric stores. I'd put the loose foam into a "case" made from cheap fabric and then create a cover out of the outdoor fabric.

·
Banned
92 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks:) I remembered that a couple months ago, my MIL cleaned out her material "stash" and gave me a large amount of....well, I dont know the proper term for it, but its basically rather heavy and waterproof. I have no other use for this stuff at all, and I got thinking this would be a great inner lining for beds for the girls. and I found some dark-ish girly cotton for the outside, that Ive got washing right now:)

Im just not sure if I can get through the heavy waterproof material with the needles Ive got for my machine....only one way to find out! lol if not, I'll just do it by hand.

good ideas.

·
Banned
92 Posts
i have found that it is worth it to get the needles that are made for jean material when it comes to canvas/outdoor material. If you are not into getting a few of them (they really do come in handy when doing surgery on multi layer stuff) just go slow and "help" the needle with your hand on the wheel.

Good luck and let me know if you need any other creative ideas...i have lots of "home made" dog things for my boys.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have sewed a heavy material / couch by hand and used an upholstery needle. They are great for heavy stuff. They are curved like a fish hook, similar to the ones doctors use to put in stitches. I also used a heavy upholstery thread. :) Just a thought.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I made a mat/bed for my standard poodle by folding an old comforter up and then sewing around the sides and a few stitches in the middle to make it keep it's shape. Neither of my dogs chew their beds, though, so I don't have to worry about it being durable.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've made two dog beds. My dogs are small - 40 and 20 pounds.

I buy scrap fleece from Joann's. One was rocket ships in outer space, the other is jungle animals. :)
I bought a big bag of fake snow padding a week after Christmas. It lays pretty flat and has good cushioning abilities. The dogs don't seem to object, but there are nicer fillers out there. This was super cheap though.
If you need to, cut the scrap fleece into a rectangle twice as long as you want the width to be. I'll lay it flay on the ground and have a dog come lay down on it, then double the width.
Fold right sides facing, sew two edges shut.
Turn inside out, right side of fabric is now on the outside.
Fill with stuffing. With the stuffing I used, I wanted it to lay flat so I had to slide it in, which is why one whole side is unsewn at this point. Depending on your filler, you might be able to sew more of the perimeter before turning it right side out.
Sew the final edge shut.
Give to dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts