Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog trainer is also my mother and she has reccomended that I rehome my puppy and let her search for a more suitable dog for my family.

I think he is young enough he would adapt well to a new home but I feel like a failure.

Let me be a lesson, don't chose a dog so impulsively without researching the breed and knowing if it will fit in your family, home, and activity levels.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I think it would depend on the qualifications and years in the dog training business.

How old is the pup and what kind of problems.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Would it be the JRT in the other thread? :) .... or am I confused?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We live in an apartment, he tried to attack a neighbors dog today.
That combined with my concerns in the other thread she thinks he is not the dog for us and would do better in a different home.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
He's 14 weeks old, so while it CAN happen (and not a common occurrence) I'm hesitant to say he is aggressive and not just a busy terrier puppy, but then again I have never met the dog so I cannot have any opinion on him. Personally, since he IS a baby, I would seek out a different trainer if not a behaviorist to find out whether or not he's a normal puppy. If he is ACTUALLY aggressive, rehoming him is a really dangerous suggestion from a trainer.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
He's 14 weeks old, so while it CAN happen (and not a common occurrence) I'm hesitant to say he is aggressive and not just a busy terrier puppy, but then again I have never met the dog so I cannot have any opinion on him. Personally, since he IS a baby, I would seek out a different trainer if not a behaviorist to find out whether or not he's a normal puppy. If he is ACTUALLY aggressive, rehoming him is a really dangerous suggestion from a trainer.

Well as I asked earlier, what qualifications does the mother trainer have. No answer yet. I have said before pups can do no wrong, they are pups. no more no less. That's my personal opinion on pups.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well as I asked earlier, what qualifications does the mother trainer have. No answer yet. I have said before pups can do no wrong, they are pups. no more no less. That's my personal opinion on pups.
I was wondering the same myself, my friend. 14 weeks old is a infant. If I had a trainer tell me my 14 week old was a lost cause that I couldn't do any thing with and I should rehome him, I'd be sure to seek out a different trainer. I'm guessing he's a typical JRT and maybe this trainer is just.. well, not well qualified.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
14 weeks and labeled hopelessly aggressive? Get a second opinion. Pups do act "vicious" at that age, because grown dogs won't correct such a young pup.

Besides, if the dog is truly that bad, passing it on to someone else is irresponsible.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I find it hard to believe a young pup can be labeled aggressive. You really need to define "attacked" your neighbors dog. Was it just lunging and pulling on the lead, or was it actually fighting with it? If it's just lunging and pulling, that's normal excited puppy behavior, my GSD when he was a pup used to lunge at every dog he'd see, now that he's a little older, he greets them just fine.
I'd get a second opinion from another dog trainer, I don't know how you can deem a dog aggressive and hopeless, especially a puppy, when you haven't truly tried to fix his behavior.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Or possibly consider that the mom is, in fact, an expert on the expectations and capabilities of her child... The advice may have very little to do with the pup, regardless of the stated reason.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My mom is a therapist but that doesn't mean I think she's qualified to be my therapist. (I realize this comparison is a big leap from human emotions/behavior to dog behavior.)

He is a PUPPY. Find puppy classes. Many places have drop in puppy classes for $10 or $15 per class. Generally speaking, JRTs are a whole lot of dog in a little package. Keep his mind and body active. Never leave him unsupervised with your children and teach your children how to safely interact with a dog(i.e. no running at him, no picking him up, no bending over him, no petting while he's eating or chewing on bones, etc.)

This incident certainly isn't cause enough to rehome a puppy. Plus, that's just passing any problems on to somebody else. Imagine how many homes he could go through if they(the new owners) are of the same mentality.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm thinkin it might be better to go with a trainer who's not mom.
Yes I kinda think that might help a bit.

Or possibly consider that the mom is, in fact, an expert on the expectations and capabilities of her child... The advice may have very little to do with the pup, regardless of the stated reason.
And there is other side of the coin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She did tell me I am in over my head.
She also helped me find a place that Pete would be better suited (and better suited to Pete).
Thank you for all the advice.

I can guarantee I will not be impulse choosing another dog and that I will use my moms dog expertise and guidance (as well as her knowledge of ME) to help me.
I want to be a good pet owner and rushing into it with no knowledge and on impulse isn't smart.
I know not everyone agrees that it is ok to admit that an animal is not the right fit, I mean they are members of the family. But ultimately I had to make the best decision for everyone involved. And with the right guidance the next dog will be a forever member.

Thank you all for your input.

(and yes she is a certified dog trainer...)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's my experience that a disinterested party is a better choice in matters like this. Sometimes "new eyes" see things and possibilities that a parent would not. Many parents never really see their children as the adults that they now are.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am surprised that this is a 14 week old pup we are talking about. Luna is now 16 weeks, and now let alone at 14 weeks I could never classify her (or any of the numerous Rottweiler puppies that I was raised with throughout my life) as being vicious. Puppies are so easy to imprint! They are susceptible to our behavior and our capabilities, and will be fantastic dogs when raised right.

I wouldn't let my mother train my dog. I am sorry to say that such close family relations cannot (in my experience) give a clean subjective emotionally unattached opinion.

Also, if you are able to provide this dog with the structure (consequent walking, playing, and feeding times) then you should definitely be on the right track. Owning a dog is a companionship that should be pleasant - and even with little experience one can always apply these basic things to create a happy dog. Research how much time you can walk a puppy. Research what they need. I know you made a choice on impulse, but there is no need for you to panic - the path can be straightened. Pups are like kids - nothing is set in stone, and they are very pliable and dependent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She isn't just an interested parent but an interested grandparent as well.

I can be subjective and say that she admittedly did not like the breed. She also will not train pitbulls (which I understand pitbulls can be great family dogs). But I do trust her opinion.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts