Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog and I have been best friends for 12 years. She has been a wonderful healthy dog up until about 10 years old. She went throught many vet appointments and received diagnoses that were not correct/ were not the core issue.
We switched vets. She received a correct diagnosis of Cushings. This was managed with super expensive meds and frequent testing appointments.Thousands of dollars of vet bills and medications later, she now has Addison's disease. She has peed in the house for the last three years. Not always, but almost daily, and often multiple times daily. her medications now cost over $100 a month. She has been hospitalized several times this year so far and it cost us over $2,000.
She lays down most of the day. She is still sometimes happy but her energy level is low. She is unable to do stairs and has been for some time. She still greets me at the door most times. She no longer plays with our other dog. I have to give her 9 pills each day. I can't ask anyone to dog sit her since she pees indoors.
She has crisis-type episodes which cause her to vomit and get very ill. The vet wants to run more tests to adjust her dosage of meds. I feel guilty about my thoughts of euthanizing her.
Please, fellow dog lovers, share your thoughts with me on how to handle this. It's not just the money, or just the smelly house. It's a combination of all things. I have been condiering for some time.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I am so sorry. I lost my best friend in november. No, not lost, I put him to sleep to spare him 4 or 5 more days of dying of liver failure.

To me, the line is when the bad days outnumber the good, and there is no hope of improvement. At that point, euthanasia is mercy. There are a million fates worth than death.

So ask yourself, am I doing this to save myself trouble or to save my friend suffering? Your answer will tell you what to do.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Cushings and Addisons are both fought diseases, and I'm so sorry you're going through this.
I want to say, euthanasia is never easy. Ever. Honestly, its sounds like to me that you feel her quality of life is poor. Does she have things in life she is still able to enjoy? Does she have good days and bad days? Or are all her days a combination of good and bad? Which outnumbers which, good or bad?

After considering all of this, you had to factor in expenses. Are all the expensive tests going to give you the answers you need to improve her life? Or is it possible the tests could reveal a bad prognosis regardless, leaving you with nothing to treat? Even if you can afford tests/medications, how much longer can she go on living off pills... Months? Years?

I don't envy you at all right now. Good luck to you in your search for the right answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts