Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out about this cool athlete thought i would share
A Eurohound is a crossbred dog, from the Alaskan husky and a pointer. The Eurohound first successfully entered the competitive racing world in Scandinavia. It is one of the most formidable sled dogs in the world, combining the husky's centuries-honed sledding ability and a pointer's enthusiasm and athleticism in amounts dictated by careful breeding.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I need me one of those to run along one of these:

AKA, my aunt's pudgy lab/my cani-cross partner. :p Eurohounds are so cool!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yay, Scandinavian Hound! I hope they'll be an actual breed one day.

I often see this mix here, being scandinavian myself.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Crossbred from Alaskan huskies, which are mutts themselves of Siberians, greyhounds, and pointers. I really like the idea of combining huskies with hound types. Greyhounds, pointers, (even dobermans), and breeds with deep chests and long legs have a much greater lung capacity it seems, as well as a much longer stride. At the urban mushing race I did two of the fastest dogs were a GSP and a dobe.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
And also, while the Alaskan Husky is a type and not a "real" breed, reputable Alaskan Husky breeders (and Eurohound breeders) take excellent care of their dogs, health test them, keep careful pedigrees, prove their dogs through work, and do many other things that one would expect from a responsible breeder. :)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
People are usually surprised when they come up here and see sled dogs because they are expecting them all to look like Siberian Huskies. Instead, most Alaskan Huskies are a mix of Sibe, GSD, and a few other things...it's like a secret recipe for each breeder, but like Cran pointed out, these are intentional breedings and the breeders handle it a lot like any purebred reputable breeder.

I like the looks of these dogs, but I'm guessing they would need to run their furry butts off to an extent I wouldn't be able to handle. LOL! Gorgeous, though!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Yeah Eurohounds are pretty cool. I've put a few of them in my story; they're really fast and love to pull the sled. Well...that's mainly what they were bred for. They look nice too, but I doubt they'll actually become a breed one day since they're bred with so many other breeds. Sort of like the Lurcher, I doubt it'll become a breed one day.

I tried to find a dog called the Greyster for you, they sort of look like a Eurohound, but I couldn't find any pictures for some reason. Years ago I could.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah Eurohounds are pretty cool. I've put a few of them in my story; they're really fast and love to pull the sled. Well...that's mainly what they were bred for. They look nice too, but I doubt they'll actually become a breed one day since they're bred with so many other breeds. Sort of like the Lurcher, I doubt it'll become a breed one day.

I tried to find a dog called the Greyster for you, they sort of look like a Eurohound, but I couldn't find any pictures for some reason. Years ago I could.
Here you go: http://www.crazydogracingkennel.se/index.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aren't Eurohoinds just mutts of whatever sleddog you can cross with any other dog? Like any kind of sleddog mix is a eurohound?
Nope, Eurohounds are specifically Husky x Pointer (typically German Shorthaired Pointers, but other pointing breeds are common). Alaskan Huskies are pretty much any sleddog mix.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Old thread. The person you quoted hasn't even signed on to the forum in three years.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Yup. We've had an epidemic of threads, some of them 12 years or older, raised from the dead. It's not a forum rule violation. It just doesn't make any sense

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup. We've had an epidemic of threads, some of them 12 years or older, raised from the dead. It's not a forum rule violation. It just doesn't make any sense
Oops, sorry about that. I just made an account an hour or so ago so I didn't even think about checking the date of some of the threads I looked at. 😅

1 - 19 of 19 Posts