Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never heard of this type of dog. Two of them showed up at a local shelter and they claim they are purebred imports. To me they look like Chow x's but they interest me not for adopting but because I have never heard of them before. I would love to hear from anyone that may have knowledge of them.

http://petsinc.org/pet.php?id=1885
Thats a link to their information at the shelter.

·
Registered
849 Posts
http://www.eurasiers.ca/breedforyou.htm

I don't know anything about them either, but they sound like great dogs. The breed may be good for people who like a spitzy look (and who doesn't!) but can't keep up with the exercise requirements of a breed such as a husky.

I'm glad they are intending to keep them together. It sounds like a big enough adjustment for them. Hopefully they won't be at the shelter for long.

·
Registered
427 Posts
From what I understand (I've only met a couple) they are very "soft" dogs. They do best with positive training and just be a couch potato. Poor dogs ... they must be so confused why they've lost their family.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow! These are on my top 5 "breeds to have someday" list. They are rare in the US, but in the AKC's Foundation Stock Service. I just emailed the US Eurasier Club's rescue contact about them.

I believe they were developed in the 60's or 70's by crossing Chows, Samoyeds, and ... uh... something else. Slips my mind! Polywoggy's right- they are a great spitz for people who don't want one with huge exercise needs and who are also good off leash (very devoted to their owners and stick close by). They come in a variety of cool colors- reds, wolf-grays, black.

Jen

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well from what I understand purebred dogs at this "rescue" tend to have quite a price tag. I have heard of small lap dogs going for as much as $300 or more. I know some places in other areas charge more but that is very high for this area. and they have some really funky requirements like you can only feed "their" brand of food (Precise) unless you have a vet letter stating that there is a reason not to. They also will not allow any type of crate training and thus say that they will randomly inspect your home yearly. And they also require a statement yearly from your vet saying the dog or cat has had all vet care and has always been on heartworm preventative/flea treatment. If you have a cat in your home your required to bring your cat to meet the dog that you want to adopt and their shelter is always full and very loud so I could see where this might cause trouble. While some of their ideas are good,I don't normally support their center. It would be nice if a rescue could get the dogs but I really doubt they would let a rescue take them. They are also not a no kill shelter,many people here thought they were and while they don't state that right up front if you do some checking they do PTS dogs/cats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I handle Eurasier rescue for Canada. These do appear to be Eurasiers, although it is quite unusual to find them in shelters.. I have emailed my contacts in the US Club about this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I can say is good luck. If there is anything I can do please feel free to contact me. I am about 25 mins from the place. Parvo is a big problem around here so time is of the essence, well hopefully they have had their shots.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A beautiful pair! Eurasiers were created by breeding chows to wolves and then to other nordic breeds. They're gorgeous dogs! And do get mistaken for chows/chow mixes all the time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A beautiful pair! Eurasiers were created by breeding chows to wolves and then to other nordic breeds. They're gorgeous dogs! And do get mistaken for chows/chow mixes all the time.
Eurasiers were created by breeding chows with the wolfspitz (aka keeshond) not actual wolves! They have no more wolf in them than any other breed. Samoyed was later bred in. This is a breed I seriously considered before settling on the silken windhound; they are beautiful, laid-back, gentle companion dogs.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone needs any help pulling these dogs I am more than willing to do what I can to help. If someone is coming from out of town and would need them boarded I know of a great place that is reasonable I could pick them up and take them to be boarded for you. Just anything I can do let me know.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
While I've heard of them, I've never seen them. They're gorgeous. I hope they can find a good home. While most of that shelters rules 'd be okay with, not the food one. No one would dictate what to feed my dogs, especially not my vet!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are still there. Because of their ages and the fact they are some "exotic" named breed they will probably be there a while plus they want them to be adopted together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts