Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I fed Eukanuba to my dog for a year and it did not work. After trying to always analyze his vomit problem, I decided to take him off the food. He's is so much better and now am convinced it was the food all along. Not sure if chicken-by-products or corn meal, etc. didn't agree with him. You have to go with the food that works for your dog.

·
Banned
572 Posts
I'm sorry Urban Beagles - but I disagree.

I've researched Dry Dog Foods for weeks now -- and Eukanuba is not one I would recommend.

PS-- Your dogs are adorable

In a good debate, we're all entitled to disagree with each other. Makes things lively :cool: But please don't assume I have not done the research, because my findings have led me down a different path. I've owned dogs my entire life and began researching nutrition seriously in early 2000 when my first Beagle was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Been researching ever since, learning will never be complete, can never know all there is. I have tried everything from grain free raw to raw w/ grains, to a spectrum of holistic kibbles. Also found that a good number of holistic feeds are astronomically high in calcium - this can and has caused whelping complications in the past for me.

Thanks for the comments on my Beags :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
The prices of pet food have gotten so high...I am even suprised by the prices of Pedigree and Dog Chow at the grocery store or pet supermarket. I don't have anything against either of these brands...just that they used to be SOOO much cheaper than the smaller names in the industry. Now they are much closer in cost it seems. With the exception of Timberwolf which correct me if I am wrong, but is the most expensive kibble on the market?

Everything has gotten so expensive though..like a bag of rice used to be a couple of bucks and now it's $5 to $7. Rice is a staple for millions of humans and big part of many feeds...so it stands to reason that the trickle down effect has caused the huge price hike even for the "grainy" foods.

I can't give detailed feedback of Eukanuba,yet, but so far absolutely perfect poops, excellent palatability and best of all (for my dog who can have a problem with it) NO gas, yay!! Some of what I consider to be the BEST brands would have me searching the cupboards and drawers for insensce and candles...and even then she'd be inevitably sent to the dog house, lol!

(I did start with their newest line Naturally Wild, though, and this line has no corn or by-products)

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Eukanuba is a lower grade of dogfood. If I were you I would go with brands like Purina or Iams. If you are interested I know a great online store for dogfood coupons.
Purina makes a variety of dog food; what ones do you consider to be a higher grade than Eukanuba? IMO, Purina ONE and Pro Plan are the only ones I'd ever consider and that would be if I were homeless. No offense to those of you who feed Purina but I feed my dogs the best that I can and it's not a Purina food. It's not Iams or Eukanuba either. The online coupon place is fine if you feed those foods but there's not a high quality food listed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Eukanuba is a lower grade of dogfood. If I were you I would go with brands like Purina or Iams. If you are interested I know a great online store for dogfood coupons.

May I ask why you think Iams is better than Eukanuba? Iams and Eukanuba are both manufactured by Proctor and Gamble and Iams is sold in Grocery stores while Eukanuba is not.

I do like some Purina products, though!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My vet brought me a sample of eukanuba Venison & multigrain.
My dog HATED it.The kibbles are VERY small.

I bought this formula : http://www.eukanuba.co.uk/EukGlobal...dult Medium Breed Normal Activity.jsp?id=2018

and she LOVED IT!!! The kibbles are the biggest we have ever tried and very tasty(i always eat 1-2 kibbles)!!! I really like the fact that she has to eat less (140-150gr/day)than the most brands that are on the same lever(royal,hills,pro plan,ONE->200-230gr)!!!

I wish i had listened to my vet's opinion earlier...:eek: BUT,i wouldn't have learned the things than i know now...:D

We'll see the results in 2-3 months...:)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I had my dogs on Eukanuba not that long ago because I can get it for free. They did horribly on it. On their new grain free foods they had to eat a ton of food a day and where still losing weight, they were eating like 5-6 cups of food a day. I switched them to a different formula and they were both gassy, Lloyd was getting hot spots, horribly itchy. They both acted like kids on a sugar high. I used to feed it to my old dog, Lucky, like 5 or 6 years ago and she did well on it then, but my 2 now did horribly on it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My vet brought me a sample of eukanuba Venison & multigrain.
My dog HATED it.The kibbles are VERY small.

I bought this formula : http://www.eukanuba.co.uk/EukGlobal...dult Medium Breed Normal Activity.jsp?id=2018

and she LOVED IT!!! The kibbles are the biggest we have ever tried and very tasty(i always eat 1-2 kibbles)!!! I really like the fact that she has to eat less (140-150gr/day)than the most brands that are on the same lever(royal,hills,pro plan,ONE->200-230gr)!!!

I wish i had listened to my vet's opinion earlier...:eek: BUT,i wouldn't have learned the things than i know now...:D

We'll see the results in 2-3 months...:)
I started my dog on this formula..but when I looked up the link you posted I was suprised to see that the ingredients for your formula is totally different than the ingredients we have here in the US.

Here...look at this:

Naturally Wild New Zealand Venison and Potato (US Formula)

Ingredients
Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Rosemary Extract

Now from the UK Eulanuba website:
EUKANUBA PRODUCT : Eukanuba Wild Nature Venison & Multigrain

Ingredients
Venison(>14%), corn(>14%), sorghum, chicken meal, rice(>10%), barley, animal fat, poultry meal, dried beet pulp, dried whole egg, chicken digest, potassium chloride, brewer's dried yeast, fish oil, sodium chloride, sodium hexametaphosphate, DL-methionine, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate.
Additives per kg:
Vitamin A:12000 IU/kg, Vitamin D :900 IU/kg, Vitamin E ( α-tocopherol):200 mg/kg, Copper as Copper II Sulphate:25 mg/kg

I thought that the difference between countries was pretty dramatic!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hmm, that is interesting. Look how many grains are in the top five of the US formula.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes there is a big difference between those 2 formulas.
I like most the US version...BUT...i can find the multigrain formula(why so small kibbles people???why???:eek:)

Till now my dog likes her eukanuba chicken & rice/medium breed.:D

Although Eukanuba is considered for many people as a low quality dog food, has the same price as acana,eagle pack,royal canin,pro plan,hills--->20euros /3kg.:D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts