Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking up information on different foods and looking at reviews and Eukanuba seemed like a good food so I picked up a bag of the adult maintenance for Bailey.

I was just wondering what people thought about this food and if you feed it how your dogs like it?

I love Orijen and feed it to my cats but when I tried my last dog on it she ate it for a day or two and then wouldn't touch it. $60 down the drain, lol. The same thing happened when my mom tried giving it to her dog.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You could do much better than Eukanuba. Most of their formulas contain pretty poor ingredients.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not sure what reviews you were reading about Eukanuba, but IMO it is not something I would feed because I feel there are much better foods out there. Eukanuba isn't the worst of the lot, but not the best. They do have a new line that is "supposedly" better...Naturally Wild, I think. I like feeding a good quality, natural food with a decent amount of protein/fat and no by-products, artificial preservatives, etc. No corn, wheat. Basically, I like gluten-free. Meat/meal (like chicken, chicken meal, etc.) has to be the first ingredient. I have used grain-free, but don't consider grain-inclusive bad. In fact, I am using grain-inclusive at this time. For MY dogs, I have found the high-protein, grain-free don't really work the best. Here are some foods I would feed and recommend. This is not to say, your dog won't do well on Eukanuba, tho'. It, like Purina (which I have used - ProPlan) has been a stand-by food for alot of people for years. But, just in case you want to go more natural....

Grain-inclusive:

Eagle Pack Holistic Select - this is what I'm feeding (dry and can)
FROMM 4-Star
Innova
Wellness Super-5 Mix
Canidae
Merrick
Solid Gold
Nature's Variety Prairie
Natural Balance
Evanger's
Halo
Avoderm
By-Nature
Dogswell
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Newman's Own
Castor & Pollux Organix
Natural Planet Organics, Nutrisource
Flint River Ranch

Grain-free:

Orijen, Acana
FROMM 4-Star Surf & Turf
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon
Nature's Variety Instinct
Merrick BG
Wellness CORE
Taste of the Wild
EVO
Canidae Grain-free

And, I know there are many more to choose from, but this is a good starting list. Have you been to these sites...? www.dogfoodanalysis.com, www.dogaware.com, www.dogfoodproject.com. These are great reading and very helpful. They can be used to "guide" you. IMO, they are not the end-all, be-all, but I have used them as a resource. My philosophy is read the ingredients!!!!! Then, choose what works for YOUR dog. Good Luck, your new Cocker is beautiful! :)

Reactions: BoxMeIn21

·
Banned
572 Posts
I used to feed it a few years ago, was a walking advertisement for it! Honestly, before the formula was changed in mid '06, this was the single best dry food on the market ... and I usually don't make generalizations like that. The research behind it was & still is top notch. However, they bagan to cheapen the formulas, lowering the protein and DHA levels in the puppy/Premium performance feeds, changing the source of ingredients. Finally I got fed up and moved on. That being said, I have been following up with Eukanuba recently. They have brought back their old Performance formula 30/20 just gave it a new name for sporting dogs. They are doing away with all those stupid breed/size specific formulations and are going back to the old feeds. The adult maintenance, for instance, was changed to medium breed - fat/protein/kcals were tweaked - but is now back to the original maintenance formula. They have also brought back their breeder program & improved it, but yeah, too much information, lol :)

I will say this. If it's anything like it was in years past, you can't go wrong with Euk, it'll be worth every cent. It's a very low carbohydrate feed, despite what you'll hear about it being grain based, nothing could be further from the truth. It was a very good food for dogs with digestive issues or dogs who were plaque formers.

If you don't mind, keep us posted. I'd love to hear how your dog fares on the Euk!

·
Registered
818 Posts
You know, UrbanBeagle, I am agreeing with you more & more LOL! I know lots of people (farmer friends, trainer friends, my brother who can't afford better, neighbor, etc.) who are feeding the basic stand-by feeds...by that I mean Purina, Eukanuba, Pedigree...and their dogs are doing really great! So, I am kinda changing my philosophy a little. Go with what works for your dog!
I have used ProPlan before and liked it alot. I also used Eukanuba when it was the "old style", as well, and like it at the time. Now I'm using EPHS. It is a middle of the road "holistic" food, but it's working right now. And, I still feel the need to go the "holistic" route, so it's good. But, I will say that you have some good points in your advice and I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You know, UrbanBeagle, I am agreeing with you more & more LOL! I know lots of people (farmer friends, trainer friends, my brother who can't afford better, neighbor, etc.) who are feeding the basic stand-by feeds...by that I mean Purina, Eukanuba, Pedigree...and their dogs are doing really great! So, I am kinda changing my philosophy a little. Go with what works for your dog!
I have used ProPlan before and liked it alot. I also used Eukanuba when it was the "old style", as well, and like it at the time. Now I'm using EPHS. It is a middle of the road "holistic" food, but it's working right now. And, I still feel the need to go the "holistic" route, so it's good. But, I will say that you have some good points in your advice and I appreciate the input!
You should hear what the serious gundog people feed and love. Diamond, Black Gold, Red Flannel, Arkat, and some Pro Plan. Their dogs do FANTASTIC on those foods.

·
Banned
572 Posts
You know, UrbanBeagle, I am agreeing with you more & more LOL!
I know lots of people (farmer friends, trainer friends, my brother who can't afford better, neighbor, etc.) who are feeding the basic stand-by feeds...by that I mean Purina, Eukanuba, Pedigree...and their dogs are doing really great! So, I am kinda changing my philosophy a little. Go with what works for your dog!

Uh-Oh! Welcome to the darkside, LOL! <JK> :D

But yeah, I have seen hounds eating feeds like Pride, Sportsmix, Purina. These dogs look great, can run all day. I can't say, regardless of ingredients, that these foods are bad when they keep active dogs in such good shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I guess when it comes down to it -- regardless of how GREAT people say a food is or how good the ingredients look, it all comes down to what results you get. I agree with this because I have tried MANY foods over the years and to be honest, we had better results with many of the lower quality foods then the higher quality foods.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just discovered something very interesting...
I ve been looking for a low-cost but decent food for the last months.
Currently we are on Purina ONE.My dog needs 200gr per day.

I was looking the ingredients on Eukanuba UK site and i discovered that a 14kg dog must be fed with 150gr from Eukanuba Adult small-medium breed ,and my dog is 13kg.:D

So ,if i 'll use eukanuba l'll have to feed less.A 3kg bag will last for a month...

I must check the prices too...Tomorrow!

(My vet keeps recommending Eukanuba...:p)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Now, I'm not saying go out and find a low quality feed and feed it over a good quality one, but I really do feel (after my own experience) that sometimes the high-protein, grain-free or even raw, etc. don't always work for all dogs. Some do better on a GOOD quality, middle-of-the-road food with a decent amount of protein/fat and sometimes grains. Bottom line is, it is a personal decision. I do believe in doing the best you can for your dog! By that I mean, the highest quality feed, that works for your dog, that you can afford, and feel comfortable feeding. Thanks for listening to my rant LOL!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Being able to afford it and the dogs doing decent on it should be #1. I saw the price for Euk and I about died. $50 for one bag, and it wasn't even 50#. A ton of the holistic foods were just as pricey. I don't see how people do it in this day and age. ;-)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi....I've read that Eukanuba isn't a very good food -- it has to many fillers. My dog has a sensitive stomach...so I've researched some foods and I settled on Blue Buffalo Dry Food -- it costs $15.00 for a 6lb bag at Petsmart -- He loves the food and is doing very well on it.

I feed him 1 Cup in the Morning and at night I give him 1 Cup of Boiled Chicken or Beef in a light Broth with 1/2 C of Dry Food.

Dog foods are very confusing....years ago there wasn't as many and the old favorites seemed to do just fine (like Pedigree, Alpo, Purina) ...but somewhere down the line these foods aren't very good anymore....the people running these companies have gotten cheap on the ingredients and they've been sold over & over again....and they put profit over nutrition.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just bought a bag of Eukanuba Naturally Wild Venison and Potato....30 lbs. for $52.59 plus tax. yikes!

I called the company today and the woman I talked to was EXTREMELY nice and was giving me more information than I even asked for. All I wanted to know was the calcium content of the three different varities (they are not listed on their website) and she was very helpful.

If anyone wants to know..the Venison has 1.3% calcium, the Turkey formula has 1.4% and the Salmon has 1.0%.

She told me that most people initally buy the product because it doesn't contain meat by-products or any corn, but then their animals are just loving the food and they even have to try and keep their cats away from the dog food, lol. We'll see...so far my dog loves it and seems to be having an easy time digesting it. No gas or other unfavorable results. :)

I have been having great results with the "middle of the road" dog foods. The foods that are considered premium and ultra premium are the ones my dog has had trouble adjusting to. I do feed her "people food" raw meat, rice, fruits and veggies as well with no tummy upset...but those high end kibbles are not working for her.

I'll let you know how the Eukanuba works for her after a while. This is my first try with Eukanuba since the 80's!

·
Banned
572 Posts
Hi....I've read that Eukanuba isn't a very good food -- it has to many fillers. My dog has a sensitive stomach...so I've researched some foods and I settled on Blue Buffalo Dry Food -- it costs $15.00 for a 6lb bag at Petsmart -- He loves the food and is doing very well on it.

I feed him 1 Cup in the Morning and at night I give him 1 Cup of Boiled Chicken or Beef in a light Broth with 1/2 C of Dry Food.

Eukanuba has no fillers. Off the top of my head, the ingredient list for the regular maintenance feed is/was chicken, chicken by product meal, ground corn, sorghum, fish meal, barley, chicken fat, beet pulp (sugar removed), brewers rice (imperfect rice pieces NOT rice left over from brewing process). I don't see a problem with any of these ingredients. Ground whole corn is a good source of B vitamins and is no different than any other grain. It's not a filler unless the company begins to split ingredients to list different types of corn in several places on the list. Sorghum is excellent for regulating blood sugar, which is why I have been thinking about Eukanuba recently ... Anyway, no fillers here. Just muscle meat, organ meat, fish meal, chicken fat as the animal protein/fat sources & barley, corn, sorghum, rice as the grains.

If you did an internet search on these ingredients for human consumption, you'd find a plethora of information touting the health benefits and nutritional composition. Do the same search on those ingredients in dog food, and they are evil fillers that are indigestable carbo loaded, going to kill your dog, etc. These grains actually contain nutrients while grain free feeds have potatoes, a simple starch that spikes blood sugar and offers little to no nutritional value.

ETA: Wanted to add that Eukanuba was one fo the first, if not the first feed company to add DHA to their product and to list the carb/fat/protein content of their feeds. Not guaranteed analysis of protein, but how much of the actual feed is comprised of calories from fat, carbs and protein. Their feed has always been very low carb, RIVALING the grain frees @ around 26-33% for most of their puppy, performance, and regular maintance lines.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Ripley's breeder swears by Eukanuba, except for her pregnant bitches, she feeds puppy chow. I fed Euk on her advise for a while, and my dog did well, but the price is high. I feed Purina One now, but I have no prob with Euk...I disagree with alot of posters on this forum with regard to food though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm sorry Urban Beagles - but I disagree.

I've researched Dry Dog Foods for weeks now -- and Eukanuba is not one I would recommend.

PS-- Your dogs are adorable

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I do appreciate all of the replies!

My family and I are huge animal lovers. We have rescued many animals over the years and found homes for them and we all have pets now. Two of my sisters worked/work at vets offices and my sister and my mom both have their vetrinary assistance diploma (where they also learned about nutrition). I also plan on getting mine. I have done a lot of research and read many reviews on different foods. I have also tried many different brands on my cats and dogs. I also talk with my sisters (I have four) and my mom about the foods they tried and how they worked. I'll be honest, I have not been overly impressed with the TOP quality pet foods. I could have easily purchased the Orijen for Bailey since I buy it at my vets office only 4 minutes from my house but instead we drove 45 minutes to petsmart to pick out another food because I was not happy with the results Orijen gave. Not only that, but each time I tried it, it gave my pets diarrhea.

Royal Canin came in a tiny bag and quite a bit more expensive. It had almost the same ingredients are Eukanuba and you had to feed more then DOUBLE the amount daily!!

I called and asked another pet store about Canidae and I was told that they don't carry too much of it because they don't sell enough of it to keep it in stock (and this was a BIG pet store). When I asked what the lady recommended (other then Orijen) she said she almost 100% of the time recommends Nutrience to people.

Yet, another store I went into recommended another brand of pet food (that at this time I can't remember).

So, even the people who work in stores, know the ingredients, and get told by customers what works and doesn't work have different opinions on what the "ideal" food to feed is.

But one thing they ALL agreed on was that each animal is different and you can't go by the list of ingredients on the bag, you have to see what results you get and go by that.

One dog may do excellent on Orijen whereas another may do best on Purina or Pedigree.

Now, an update on the Eukanuba. Unfortunately Bailey seems to be a picky eater because he won't touch the stuff! He was eating Beneful and seemed to enjoy that but even when mixed with wet food he won't eat the Eukanuba. However, my cats seem to keep eating it.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Eukanuba has no fillers.
That's hilarious. What's corn/corn meal, beet pulp and brewers rice? All fillers - Fillers that dogs don't need and two of which that are known allergens.

Two of my sisters worked/work at vets offices and my sister and my mom both have their vetrinary assistance diploma (where they also learned about nutrition).
Well that's interesting. DVM's get little to NO training in nutrition - it's not apart of their degree - what type of nutrition training do vet techs get?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I think if your dogs do good on the Eukanuba, then you should feed it. Me, I've seen their prices and for the same money, I can get what I personally feel is a very good quality food for the same money, that my dogs do good on. My younger sheltie, at age 9, can eat almost anything. He'd probably do well on Eukanuba but since he does fine on a high quality food, he'll stay on that. Once, at PetCo, I was amazed at the prices of some of what I consider low quality food. The higher quality ones were very close to the same price.

Marie

1 - 20 of 31 Posts