Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I’d be very grateful for some advice for my 4 year old black pug Esme.
A bit of back ground to start... I re homed Esme feb 2019 from a lady who had 2 dogs ‘moved’ and was only allowed 1 dog in her new home. We collected her from the woman’s daughter and was told paperwork etc would follow. No such luck. I have no history of our baby at all! Which until recently to be honest I wasn’t greatly concerned with as she seemed fine and fell in love with our frenchie and life in our doggie bliss continued!
The first job was to take her for a health check to our vets ?? All good news no problems bar the breathing issues with these sorts of dogs (she wasn’t bred well!) Before long Esme had a big cyst come up between her toes so on another trip to the vet was told a grass seed could be stuck so had steroids and antibiotics which I believed to help until it happened again! Another trip later was told she could have allergies. Periodically these angry big cysts come up on each poor look really sore then go again. We clean them with hibby which seems to help too. Now after some research I’ve an idea of what it actually is and how to treat. Unfortunately this is just the beginning ? Esme then started to have gooey eyes... I noticed whilst cleaning them she had brown pigment over the pupil of one eye and believed this to be restricting her sight. Trip to vets as was obviously very concerned, to be told her sight is fine and she may have suffered an old injury or ulcer on the eye. Could cause problems eventually but for now use drops prescribed for dry eye pos conjunctivitis. Gooey eyes went away. Still seeing this brown patch in eye and working in optics for 15 years knew this wasn’t right and was almost impossible that she could see normal through eye as no light could get past pigment! But hey I’m not the expert. Still another occasion mentioned to vet was told they suffer with eyes. Well another few months later our baby started to limp and got worse over night dragging her legs almost behind her so straight to vets and her knee cap was out on her left knee and won’t stay in as worn! Her right knee cap pops out but goes in and stays for now ? had X-ray to confirm and told she will need an op eventually. We asked for pain relief was given metacam which in a day worked miracles! So for now it is working and she walks and runs but not like before and her legs are almost fused straight when doing so.
so this morning as normal I’m stroking her saying good morning and rubbing her eyes when I’ve noticed brown pigment in her other eye creeping up to the pupil! I’ve now looked this up and can 100% say it is pigmentation keratitis! How the vet couldn’t see it with ophthalmic equipment and I can in day light I have no idea but am worried beyond belief!
everyday I look at her and feel sad when we are at the park and my partner has to carry her! Her breathing is really bad she pants when sitting still before doing anything. She has bad knees and painful cysts! And now she looks to be going blind!!!! We’ve had every medication and lots of trips to vets and I guess if I’m honest am I being ignorant to her problems and allowing her to suffer tho we are assured she’s not suffering because I love her so much and can’t even think of the other option?! Our home boarding lady said recently that she has been bred horrendously and has no quality of life and if it was her she would have her euthanised!!!! ? may I add our boarder lady is fantastic and not a horrible person at all just believes Esme is suffering. she’s just a baby at almost 5 tho and I can’t stand that even being an option!!! What does anyone think??? When the vets are open again I’m booking straight in. I’ve now got details of another vet that has been recommended, I will take her for full check and advise as I really feel I need another professional opinion for the best for Esme! I just want her to be happy and not in pain or suffering and I don’t know if she is or not!!! Lots of tears over this little pickle!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree that a second opinion is essential see if her eyes can be helped if not let me assure you a blind dog can cope perfectly well with life they adapt really well so been blind isn't the huge issue. The huge issue is breathing and obviously if she is in pain because of her joints those are the two things I would worry about..
I hope you get some good advice from your new vet and I hope you keep us updated on how you get on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that a second opinion is essential see if her eyes can be helped if not let me assure you a blind dog can cope perfectly well with life they adapt really well so been blind isn't the huge issue. The huge issue is breathing and obviously if she is in pain because of her joints those are the two things I would worry about..
I hope you get some good advice from your new vet and I hope you keep us updated on how you get on.
Thank you! I’ll get her in ASAP and post the details. ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello. We won’t be able to get her in yet until the vets re open. They are doing video calls but Esme needs to be seen properly, plus I need her details transferred to the new vet. So we are having to wait for now ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. We won’t be able to get her in yet until the vets re open. They are doing video calls but Esme needs to be seen properly, plus I need her details transferred to the new vet. So we are having to wait for now ?
I'm so sorry. At least we can take our girls to the vet who comes out to our car and takes the pup in, then brings her back, gives the diagnosis and the portable eftpos machine through the car window. I hope you can get some peace of mind soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you have a good vets already, I’m glad for you. Hopefully won’t be too long, can just keep her comfortable for now. Thank you xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts