Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have now raised the fence around my dog run up to 8 feet and so far that has kept Gypsy in but no guarantee. The dogs (three of them) are only in the run if I am going out and it is 80 feet long and about 15 feet wide running from my barn to the fence around my yard. They have a big space in the end of the barn which used to be my tack room that is heated when it is cold out and lots of straw bedding for them to make beds in.

When the temperatures get really cold (-20C) if I have to go out, I just crate them in the house and they are in the house at night and quite often in the daytime. Gypsy does not go anywhere when she jumps the fence, just stands at the gate and waits for me to let her back into the yard. She could go down the driveway though and out onto the road so want to stop her before something happens.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is Gypsy microchipped? If not, might be a good idea.

Otherwise, set up a game camera to figure out how Gypsy is escaping. Then take measures to eliminate the escape route.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
usually they have a favorite spot that they use and it's easier to reinforce or provide a deterrent, rollers or over hang just in that area.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, so far so good. I did start on the area where she was getting out but she always seemed to find another spot. Now all three sides are 8 feet. They were out in the run for quite a while yesterday as we are having a mild start to winter and she stayed in. It is freezing at night but went up to almost 50F yesterday. No real snow yet, just a few skiffs of it that melt the next day.

She goes to Obedience practice twice a week, lots of car rides to the dog park in town. They only go into it when there are not any other dogs which is most of the time or a leashed walk around the small lake so don't think it is because she is bored. She also runs loose on my one acre with the other three big dogs as so far she has not liked to jump my wire fences and I only let her out there when I am home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts