Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog escaped from his plastic travel crate. I have been crate training him for months in preparation for a plane ride. But he chewed the plastic part that was holding the latch. Since then, I bought a new crate and have been keeping him there at night and for 1-2.5 hour periods while I run errands. He has been perfectly fine, but I am worried that he will try to escape on the airplane. I was wondering if I should just put the cone on him during the flight so he can't chew and hurt himself?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm not sure how it works if the dog is on the plane with you but if they are travelling in the hold then my understanding is that they cannot have anything in the crate which could cause injury (i.e. a cone). When we flew our dog internationally we had to remove his collar and the only thing he was allowed in the crate was a crate pad plus a small rounded water dish.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I was wondering if I should just put the cone on him during the flight so he can't chew and hurt himself?
A dog could hurt himself even worse if he tried to escape with a cone on. I had a foster dog that had eye surgery and she was wearing a cone and I crated her in a large wire crate (which she had been fine with). She destroyed the cone panicking trying to either escape the crate or get the cone off and it was a mess of plastic poking all too close to her newly repaired eyes.

Not recommended at all.

Generally, it is not recommended to leave a muzzle on an unattended dog and I don't even know if it would be allowed by airline regulations anyway. A sturdy basket style would be the only type I'd even potentially consider using unattended (good airflow is very needed in the luggage hold of an airplane) but I'd make any and all attempts to avoid it.

Have you looked at ways to reinforce the crate so that even if he chews the latch part, it can remain secure? Carabiner clips are an easy to use and strong option for many crates. You might have to drill an additional hole in a plastic crate to fit one though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crate is top quality. It's not that I'm worried he will get out, I am worried he will hurt himself trying. Certain breeds of dogs are required to wear basket muzzles while flying, but I'm not sure I want to do that...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
there's heavy duty crate available that he can't chew his way out of. since your dog was able to chew the latch
off that's fair indication that you need something more sturdy. i'm not sure why you're not worried about him
getting out of the crate since he already got out of the crate.

1 >>>>> My dog escaped from his plastic travel crate<<<<<. I have been crate training him for months in preparation for a plane ride.

2 >>>>>But he chewed the plastic part that was holding the latch.<<<<<

Since then, I bought a new crate and have been keeping him there at night and for 1-2.5 hour periods while I run errands. He has been perfectly fine, but I am worried that he will try to escape on the airplane. I was wondering if I should just put the cone on him during the flight so he can't chew and hurt himself?
3 >>>>>there's heavy duty crates available.
4 >>>>>The crate is top quality. It's not that I'm worried he will get out,<<<<<

I am worried he will hurt himself trying. Certain breeds of dogs are required to wear basket muzzles while flying, but I'm not sure I want to do that...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, he broke out of the old crate. Now I have a new, better one. He won't be able to out, I just don't want him to hurt himself trying. On the plane his crate will be zip tied and reinforced with another lock.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
when you zip tie the crate place the zip locks in several different places. place the part that the ties go through
on the outside of the of the crate so your dog won't be able to chew the part that the tie goes through.

Yeah, he broke out of the old crate. Now I have a new, better one. He won't be able to out, I just don't want him to hurt himself trying. On the plane his crate will be zip tied and reinforced with another lock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Maybe I should rephrase my question because I am more so looking for a solution to keep him from chewing, rather than reinforcements.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Thanks. Maybe I should rephrase my question because I am more so looking for a solution to keep him from chewing, rather than reinforcements.
How old is he? Is he a chewer in general? How much exercise did he get the day he chewed up the crate and/or the day he escaped (not sure it is the same day or if he chewed first and then escaped a different time)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is 7 years old. He is not a chewer. I don't remember exactly what he did that day, but on average he would have already had three 20 minute walks.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
In general, I would think that a 7 year old dog who is not normally a chewer and is normally fine in the crate may have just had an off-day. Is it possible there was an outside influence such as a cat or wild animal outdoors that he could hear or see?

If it isn't too hot out and he is healthy, combining two of those walks into a single longer walk, especially one in a less frequented place (like a park vs the same 'ol neighborhood) and adding some training/mental work can tire him out more and reduce the chewing chances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts