Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female jack russell almost 2 yrs old. I rescued her about 6 months ago from an abusive home. She is a wonderful, loving little girl but she runs off every chance she gets! She comes back, but only when she is ready to. I call her and she just zips by at lightening speed!!! I am terrified for her because she runs across the street and doesn't even hesitate. I do everything i can to not let her take off but she is so fast that i can't always stop her from getting out. I have a fenced in yard but she gets loose under the fence. I have a 25ft. Leash for her, but hate to have to tie her up when i have such a large yard for her to run around in. My main issue is her not coming when i call her . I try luring with treats but she only gets so close then takes off before i can pick her up. I try playing fetch but the same thing happens...close but not close enough to pick her up or catch her. Eventually, she comes in the house, but sooner or later she is going to get run over or taken. (she will go to strangers...once...then she won't go to them again because she knows she is going to get put in the house)!!! What can i do to get her to come when called and not take off running???
And she gets to go out often and is never cooped up..i am at my wits end!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Id put her on a leash. is her life really worth letting her run free in the back yard she can escape?

First fix the fence. only let her out when you supurvise her. How much excersise do you give her a day? this is a VERY active and smart breed. Sounds to me like she is bored, and doesnt get many walks, so takes every chance she can do go out and have fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Id put her on a leash. is her life really worth letting her run free in the back yard she can escape?

First fix the fence. only let her out when you supurvise her. How much excersise do you give her a day? this is a VERY active and smart breed. Sounds to me like she is bored, and doesnt get many walks, so takes every chance she can do go out and have fun.
I DO put her on a leash...What I was asking about the fence was if there were any ideas on how to train her to not go under in the few places we cannot block off. She is small and digs her way under where we have blocked it. We have tried rebar stakes, and wood blocks and she continues to "outsmart" us. Yes, she is VERY smart..lol. I take her running and for 3 or 4 walks every day. She tries to slip out the door every time it is opened. I would like to find a way to break her of that. I go out with her and play but I can't play fetch outdoors because she takes off running and won't come when called. These are the issues I need ideas on. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you can't fix the fencing enough in the backyard to prevent her from getting out use the 25' leash in the backyard. Just let her drag it and you should be able to step on it and stop her if she heads for the holes in the fencing before she gets away. If she can escape your fenced yard she needs to be on leash, it's that simple.

Working on recall is great and can help but some dogs will just never have a reliable enough recall to be trusted off leash and she may fall into that group. Plus there is the 'thrill' of escaping and enjoying the chase. If my guy feels he's escaped he'll run around like crazy and not come within reach until he's done having his fun (or if I go get a VERY high value treat he MIGHT come). Thankfully the few times he HAS escaped he hasn't tried to leave the neighborhood, the one time he headed towards the somewhat busy road outside our neighborhood he turned right around when I very strongly told him NOT to go over there. He didn't come back to me but he also turned away from the street. But 90% of the time if I just drop his 6' leash to let him play with some of his doggie friends at the park he's perfectly fine and will come when called no problem. But due to that 10% of the time NOT recalling I've bought a 50' leash to let him drag and play with his buddies at the park and NOT run off to go see if there is any food on the ground at the pavilion.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Bury 2 feet of chicken wire under the fence. Put those 1' square patio pavers at the base of the fence.
You can run a strand of hot wire about 6" off the ground about a foot in from the base of the fence. It's cheap and even is available with a solar charger.
Put a Cone of Shame on dog when the dog is out back. Won't be able to fit under the fence.

Lock inside door and make a rule that the dog must be behind another closed door before you open the door outside. Or put a toddler gate in teh door frame to the door outside so that you have to step over it to get out.

Teach your dog to sit/stay. You can usually teach this in a week. Then make dog move back from the door before you open it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts