Hello, during this past Memorial Day weekend my dog’s left eye was swollen and I could see blood behind the pupil. I rushed her to the emergency care clinic where they said both anterior and posterior eye chambers was full of blood and the eye pressure was at 21. They said this was most likely caused by high blood pressure (185). They prescribed BP meds and prednisone and a steroid eyedrop. They referred me to a veterinarian ophthalmologist. I called the vet eye Dr as soon as their office reopened after the holiday weekend. They couldn’t see her until over 2 months away. They suggested that I call my regular vet for an appointment to see if my vet would discuss her condition with the eye Dr. My regular vet did call the eye Dr for me after he’d seen the condition of her eye. He was able to get my appointment moved up from 2 months away to 2 weeks away. Continued the original meds until her eye appointment. The eye never improved with the meds and it was slowly becoming cloudy looking. One week away from her eye appointment the eye nearly tripled is size within a 4 hour timeframe. There was tissue bulging from the inside corner of the eye. I called the eye Dr office only to be told once again to take her to my regular vet and have my vet call the eye Dr if the condition was urgent and they would see what they could do. The eye pressure was at 30 that day. He called the eye Dr once again and her appointment got moved up 2 days sooner which he said was “better than nothing”. At this time he said the eye may need to be surgically removed. He told me to call the eye Dr office to verify my appointment time. When I left the regular vet’s office I noticed I had missed a phone call. It was the eye Dr office calling to inform me of a cancellation. I called them immediately and they told me they had a sudden cancellation for the very next morning and wanted to know if I could have my dog there? Of course I accepted that appointment and cleared my calendar for the next day. I fed her a late night snack because I had every intention of not feeding her the next morning. I knew she needed surgery by this point and I was not going to give anybody any excuse to delay any further treatments, testing, or procedures! I arrived at the eye clinic the next morning and was told that I would have to wait because they had to “squeeze” me in. I told them that I was not squeezed in and that I was told there was a cancellation so I did indeed have a legitimate appointment time. She told me no that’s not true but not to worry because the Dr would see her anyway. I had to play the message on my phone for her but she still wouldn’t admit that I did have an appointment time! I finally got placed in an exam room where the vet tech took down a brief history and took a pressure reading on her eye. It was now reading 99! The eye Dr came in and examined her and offered to put her on additional medication therapy to see if it would improve! I asked him if her eye would function? He said no the vision is gone and nothing could be done to regain it. I asked why waste time and prolong her pain and suffering with medication if the eye no longer functions? He said the only other option was surgical removal of the eye and he could look at his schedule for next week and asked what day would work best for me? I told him that today was best as it was Friday and she’s already been through 2 weeks of medications that obviously did nothing to relieve her of her pain. I also told him that I purposely withheld food and water from her since the previous night. He excused himself from the room. A few minutes later the vet tech came back in with the paperwork for the surgery to take place as soon as he finished office appointments. The eye Dr came back to explain risks involved since she has high BP (it was now 220 even after taking high BP meds for 2 weeks) he asked if I had questions and we discussed placing a prosthesis in the empty eye socket to prevent the sunken in effect which I did opt for. I left the office and went to a nearby cafe to wait as driving all the way home and turning around to come back made no sense. I also had brought blankets and towels to make a “hospital bed” for the ride home. I was fully prepared to do what I needed to do to help my doggy! A few hours later they called and told me she did fine and that I could pick her up in about an hour and a half. I went back to the eye clinic and paid my bill and they placed me in an exam room to go over her home care and recovery. They brought her to me and she was very groggy and she looked like she just lost a boxing match but I expected her to look that way. They told me how sweet she was through the day. The eye Dr came back in to go over the surgery with me. He said that eye definitely needed to come out and I should start to see an improvement in the way she was acting because that eye was causing her terrible pain. After I got her home she had a hard time settling down. She seemed like she was fighting the effects of the pain meds and residual anesthesia. It’s been only 3 days since her enucleation but I do see her improving. Her tail is starting to wag again and she gets excited about going outside and she’s definitely crazy about “din-din time” again! Please pay special attention to your dog’s eyes! It happens so quickly and even though she was in terrible pain she never once whimpered or whined or cried about any of it! She lost a vital organ but luckily she has one healthy eye left and she’s adapting to the use of only one eye. I know the thought of your pet losing an eye is horrifying but for the health and comfort of your pet it is worth having done. There are choices you can make concerning prosthetics. Although your pet does not need a prosthetic, it may help you find visual comfort from the aesthetics of the device. Thank you for allowing me to tell her story.