Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7mos. old GSD and she picked up on potty training beautifully. She never has any accidents in the house and is so good at letting us know when she needs to go out. The problem is that I have a small backyard and she pee's and poops ALL over it. Is there any way I can train her at this point to just go in a certain area? There is a small patch of grass near the back shed that would be a perfect out of the way spot. I just don't know how to go about this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
kind of hard to do when ya work full time!
...You can't take a baggie out with you and pick up the poop as soon as your dog is done going to the bathroom? Wut?
It takes a whole 30 seconds. If you have to do the whole yard - maybe 15 minutes. I find it hard to believe you can't pick up your dogs waste - it's part of owning a dog.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...You can't take a baggie out with you and pick up the poop as soon as your dog is done going to the bathroom? Wut?
It takes a whole 30 seconds. If you have to do the whole yard - maybe 15 minutes. I find it hard to believe you can't pick up your dogs waste.
Like I said I work full time and I'm not home every time she poops. I guess I could set up a web cam and then ask my boss "I just saw my dog take a crap can I go home to pick it up?" but i'm sure he'd just laugh at me. Obviously you must not work and are able to be "johnny on the spot" with the poop bag.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I work 24 hour shifts, have 6 dogs on about one acre. They had their areas, but if I dont clean it often enough, they go to other spots. Mostly they go out onto the farm to do their business, but when I work, the walker is only there once a day. Some dogs have better habits than others.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm sorry. My 50 pound dog poops once a day. If it's not me who picks it up - then someone that lives in the house who took her out will pick it up. And, my gosh, if no one does, I take a walk around the yard when I get home and pick it up. If it's dark when I get home - I walk around the next morning and pick it up.

Using your "full time" job as an excuse to not pick up your dogs waste..yeah. You don't have to do it every time she poops but to expect your dog to poop on a pile of her own waste because you "work full time"..not gonna work.

I am in fact taking this as you don't clean up your yard at all.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Once a day, spend 5 minutes and pick up the poop from that day. Unless your dog's got some digestive issues or is eating a really crappy diet, there's probably not more than 2-3 poops to pick up.
Even if you train the dog to go in one spot (which would take time and effort and even then the dog might choose somewhere else when alone) you will have to pick up the poop from that spot each day so what's the difference?

Like I said I work full time and I'm not home every time she poops. I guess I could set up a web cam and then ask my boss "I just saw my dog take a crap can I go home to pick it up?" but i'm sure he'd just laugh at me. Obviously you must not work and are able to be "johnny on the spot" with the poop bag.
As for the poop bag thing Niraya suggested.... um, lots of people work and manage it-- dog goes outside in the morning before work, poops, it gets picked up. Work all day, dog's inside, come home and let dog outside. Dog poops, it gets picked up. Maybe dog waits till his evening walk to poop and obviously it gets picked up then. 2 meals per day= 2 poops per day basically. Not that complicated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know where you are coming from ibfreaky, time poor like me. But someone needs to take responsiblity to clean up the poop and do it regularly.

First thing I would ask is what food is the pup eating. If you are using a cheaper brand kibble then these are bulked out with stuff that does not get dissolved and passes straight through the dogs guts to leave plenty of land mines. If you switch to a premium brand high quality kibble, you will be rewarded with smaller and fewer land mines and your dog will get a better level of the correct vitamens and minerals.

Training him to go in one place can be done by cleaning up all poop and thoroughly cleaning those spots with water and an enzyme cleaner. Leave one piece of poop in the area where you want him to go. Every day, do the same - make sure the rest of the yard is cleared and cleaned. He will get the idea.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If he's going so much that you can't pick it up inside one minute, he needs a vet visit. Switch to a good food like wellness, TOTW or Blue and he'll go once or twice a day. But, really, I had a 90 lb GSD mix, and even when I was feeding him purina and he was going 3-4 times a day, I was able to clean it up after work.

Since you don't have time to pick up poop, are you walking him? Training him? Playing with him? I'm a bit concerned.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If the OP's question was how to get the dog to only use part of the yard..... What you can do is fence off the yard you don't want your dog to use, and then have it so she can only go to the potty area. But, she will kill the grass there, so it might be an idea to do a dog run with gravel or shavings so that it's easy enough to keep clean. Eventually you could remove the fencing but it will take a lot of work from you to get her consistant - so a dog run would be the easier step.

If you don't keep the dog run clean, she will find other spots too, so every day or so do a clean up. I use straw in our dog run and pick up a bit of it each time, then put out a fresh bale every month or so.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i have 2 great danes and work well over full time, and my SO works full time too.... there is NO poop in our yard right now. AND i have 2 labs with me that i have for 5days for one of my clients.. i have 4 dogs here... and no poop in the yard.... i guess i cant understand why youre too lazy to pick it up?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I work full time and have 3 dogs and 3 cats, I dont understand your problem ??? Even if I were to go out once a week to pick up waste it still only takes me about 10 minutesn and my dogs have free run of the yard, though I dont pick up what they do out in the underbrush in the woods. Get yourself an easy to use pooper scooper or better yet see if there is a pooper scooper business near you that can come clean up your yard, when my kids were young they decided pooper scooping yards would be a good way to make money and they made a killing off of it , charging 10 dollars or more per yard and it didnt take them long

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
yeah there is a guy around here who does it, he charges 8/yard/week and more if there are more dogs. you can have him come once a week or more. the one day he told my client he had done 8yards before hers, and he averages doing like 10 a day. on top of that he gets extra if you do a "spring cleaning" when the snow melts if you havent had it picked up in a while. like 20. im thinking the poop business isnt a bad idea! im beginning to think of doing this on the side truthfully.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Is there any way I can train her at this point to just go in a certain area?
Anything is possible. Heck, you could even train her to climb to the top of a six foot ladder and poop into a flaming bucket below, if you actually wanted to. But the real question in either case is, WHY would you want to :confused:

IMO simple management beats complicated training hands down, especially in this particular situation. I say let her poop wherever her li'l heart desires, and pick it up daily. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Anything is possible. Heck, you could even train her to climb to the top of a six foot ladder and poop into a flaming bucket below, if you actually wanted to. But the real question in either case is, WHY would you want to :confused:
lmao. omg... hahaha

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Full time graduate student plus two and a half jobs... HOW DO I EVER CARE FOR MY TWO DOGS?!

Working is a really poor excuse, sorry. I have a HUGE yard and it takes all of 5 minutes to clean up after my dogs (if I go a few days without doing it). If your dog is going so often that you cannot keep up with it maybe you need to feed a better food? Dogs on low quality foods poop more often (and bigger) than dogs on high quality foods.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pick it up when you get home. Don't let it get out of control, especially in the warmer weather...baking turds do not create a pleasant aroma for you or your neighbors to enjoy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts