Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gotta say... thank goodness for enrichment! Between a really persistent spell of hot and dry weather and me being a klutz and hurting myself (twice...), Sam hasn't gotten a lot of his usual long-line hikes the past couple weeks. He's less active in the heat, thankfully, but he does still get bored.

So instead we've been doing lots of puzzle toys (buster cube continues to be a favorite) and nosework games, yesterday he got a good long chew on a RMB, and today he had a good time ripping up a paper bag that used to hold wool roving my wife spun today. He thought it smelled brilliant!

What kind of enrichment do you all like to use on lazy/sick days? Or just in general!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My first go to is usually teaching a new 'party' trick (like dancing on hind legs, etc) or at least making some progress on a new trick if i is too difficult to be learned in a day or two. We also will play fetch indoors - I gather all of his soft toys, and then sit at the dining room table and toss a toy across the house. When he brings it back, we play tug for a moment and then I throw the next one, repeat until toys are all scattered about the house haha. My dog will also play with me, so I get down on my hands and knees and he will race around and wrestle.

Like you, my dog also likes puzzle games, and chewing on a RMB keeps him happy and busy for a while.

And lastly, I will admit it... sometimes I will give him a bath because I know he gets major zoomies afterwards, which tire him out for the rest of the day.

In general though, he can go a few days without his usual exercise/training and just casual interactions without getting too stir crazy (we do have a large yard and 2 other dogs, though).

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We definitely do training, too! I guess I just have that in a different category mentally than general enrichment, hah. He does go out on a harness and long-line to hang out in the garden with us to sniff and eat kale stems and wild pea shoots (he's... odd, sometimes), but we don't have a big garden or secure fencing so it limits his running about. Visiting my in-laws and their 50kg puppy sure wiped him out last weekend, though!

He is very good if there's a couple days we can't get much done. It gets tricky when we have long stretches of difficult weather or ill humans like right now, so I've been enjoying getting creative, haha. I definitely would use bath zoomies to my advantage if he liked water more (though he is overdue for a bath anyway, hmmm).

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Shaping, because I get to just sit on the couch and toss treats periodically.
Puzzle toys and find it, especially with meals distributed over a variety of puzzle toys.
Chews.
Mine is big on tug and having a spring pole makes it so that I don't need to work very hard.
Clean up toys.
Grooming. Let's me pet my dogs and work on easy maintenance stuff so it's enriching but not high impact for me.
Carry weighted pack. Makes even a short walk just a little more of a job.

Or really, I hope I worked enough on settling that my dogs will let me have a lazy day, once in a blue moon, without any effort on my part

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I do the weighted pack one, too, but more so in the winter when neither of us goes too far.

Its been in the mid 90s to 100 here quite often lately, and although Ralphie can somewhat handle the heat, I don't like to go far from water and AC. Ralphie absolutely loves this stomp ball launcher that we have! I keep meaning to get a video, but I always forget. All you really have to do is stomp on it, and it sends the ball flying. Ralphie has only passing interest in balls, really, but when they come out of that launcher...oh my god, they are the best thing ever. He SCREAMS chasing them! We typically do 3-5 launches, then get some water and rest. I'll water my plants for a bit, and then we'll go another round. It's a great way to get some exercise in the heat, and we can stop and rest as often as he needs so he doesn't overheat.

He also likes to chase the water jet on the hose, haha. Keeps everyone cool.

We've also started playing chase hide-and-seek. My husband or I will hide under blankets or around corners, and Ralphie will come and find us. We jump out at him, and then chase him all over the house until he hides behind the couch. Then we'll go hide again. Rinse and repeat. It's a fun game if your dog likes to play chase, and we don't really have to run that far because our house isn't that big, so we just kind of shuffle around and make weird noises.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I like nosework for those cooped up indoors or just too hot to move days. I've set up hides in the garage, in the house or outside in a shady spot. Mesa will sleep for hours after about 1/2 an hour of searching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts