Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just over a week ago I adopted a 4.5 month old border collie. He came from a family that treated him very well, but decided that raising a dog was too much for them. He is perfectly fine through the night and when he's tied up, but when he's free around the house he will sometimes pee with no warning or explanation. It can be a few minutes after returning from a walk and while he's standing next to me. There is no consistent location for it.

The prior family crate trained him and after a day or two I returned to walking him every hour and keeping him tied up whenever I'm not directly interacting with him. Even so, he has accidents. For example, just now I was teaching him a trick. Before I had a chance to open the room door he peed in front of me.

It doesn't seem to be due to fear or excitement, and he is able to hold himself for far longer at times. I have no idea what causes it or what I can do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I didn't want to make a new thread so I'm asking here!

I have potty trained dogs before with no problem, I always used to my advantage the dislike of urinating/defecating in their "den" (crate). Well this little pup I rescued isn't only too young to be away from mom (got her at almost six weeks, been a week with her) she was kept inside a bird cage WITH her mother, it was such a tight fit that her brother broke his neck (there were four pups, she's apparently the only survivor). She was never allowed out of the cage, so the dislike to use her den as a toilet isn't there. I have no idea how to even start training her :\ She goes potty anywhere, day/night, alone/supervised, on floor, her own bed (right where she's laying down, she doesn't mind laying down on her own urine), the only place she hasn't peed/pooped has been me when I hold her. She's a half a pound, seven week old Chihuahua pup.

She's HALF a pound. So no leash/collar properly fits her, because usually I'd do the ALWAYS SUPERVISE routine and just rush to the pad when she's about to go and say YAY.

I also CANNOT do the "control feedings", she eats so little she's had (before I got her) hypoglycemic shocks already, she needs food 24/7 availability. So I can't just feed three times a day and go outside 30 minutes later :\

I have NO idea what approach to take! I'm moving to my parents house in ONE YEAR, and they are a carpeted house (mine's tile, so no much problem here), she needs to be 100% trained by then :c If not, she'll be stuck in one tiled room and kitchen x.x; At least until I move out (moving with them after college to get a job near them). Im confident she'll be trained in a year, but I just wanna get it started, the earlier the better!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I didn't want to make a new thread so I'm asking here!

I have potty trained dogs before with no problem, I always used to my advantage the dislike of urinating/defecating in their "den" (crate). Well this little pup I rescued isn't only too young to be away from mom (got her at almost six weeks, been a week with her) she was kept inside a bird cage WITH her mother, it was such a tight fit that her brother broke his neck (there were four pups, she's apparently the only survivor). She was never allowed out of the cage, so the dislike to use her den as a toilet isn't there. I have no idea how to even start training her :\ She goes potty anywhere, day/night, alone/supervised, on floor, her own bed (right where she's laying down, she doesn't mind laying down on her own urine), the only place she hasn't peed/pooped has been me when I hold her. She's a half a pound, seven week old Chihuahua pup.

She's HALF a pound. So no leash/collar properly fits her, because usually I'd do the ALWAYS SUPERVISE routine and just rush to the pad when she's about to go and say YAY.

I also CANNOT do the "control feedings", she eats so little she's had (before I got her) hypoglycemic shocks already, she needs food 24/7 availability. So I can't just feed three times a day and go outside 30 minutes later :\

I have NO idea what approach to take! I'm moving to my parents house in ONE YEAR, and they are a carpeted house (mine's tile, so no much problem here), she needs to be 100% trained by then :c If not, she'll be stuck in one tiled room and kitchen x.x; At least until I move out (moving with them after college to get a job near them). Im confident she'll be trained in a year, but I just wanna get it started, the earlier the better!
I have a puppy mill dog... and there isn't much you can do other than hover and take them out lots of times and reward the heck out of going outside. Pee pads did not work over here. He doesn't "get" them.

Anyway the first 4 months he was having accidents in the house... first two months he would just pee where he was sitting, or he'd be in bed with us and he'd just pee while laying there. It's been two years now and he is generally good, but he still has accidents if left for more than 6 hours alone.

Good luck :/ Just be prepared to hover and take out often.

And... I wouldn't trust my dog on a fully carpeted house, period lol. I am still nervous with area rugs around my house...

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I can't add anything to what taquitos already said, but I just wanted to comment on your issue with no collars fitting your teeny tiny girl. Have you ever tried a kitten harness? I've heard of people with super tiny dogs using them with pretty good results.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a puppy mill dog... and there isn't much you can do other than hover and take them out lots of times and reward the heck out of going outside. Pee pads did not work over here. He doesn't "get" them.

Anyway the first 4 months he was having accidents in the house... first two months he would just pee where he was sitting, or he'd be in bed with us and he'd just pee while laying there. It's been two years now and he is generally good, but he still has accidents if left for more than 6 hours alone.

Good luck :/ Just be prepared to hover and take out often.

And... I wouldn't trust my dog on a fully carpeted house, period lol. I am still nervous with area rugs around my house...
I'm definitely ready to hover and rush lol And thankfully my parents are understanding of her situation (we have a bet going, whoever doesn't take her out to pee/poo in an emergency pays for the carpet replacement XD). I just wanted strategies but I guess hover and rush are it for now!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can't add anything to what taquitos already said, but I just wanted to comment on your issue with no collars fitting your teeny tiny girl. Have you ever tried a kitten harness? I've heard of people with super tiny dogs using them with pretty good results.
Well I tried kitten collars and leash. Harnesses not because no stores in my area carried them and I don't want to order online for it not to fit, specially since she's growing so fast. But I DID try ferret harness and Guinea pig harness. Nothing fit ;(

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Well I tried kitten collars and leash. Harnesses not because no stores in my area carried them and I don't want to order online for it not to fit, specially since she's growing so fast. But I DID try ferret harness and Guinea pig harness. Nothing fit ;(
Wow, she IS tiny! Hamster harness? lol

Your best bet might be to go to someone that does custom harnesses. Collars aren't good for toy breeds, too much risk of damaging their trachea. I know if you search on Etsy there are a lot of people that make custom dog harnesses based on your dog's measurements and many of them are very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow, she IS tiny! Hamster harness? lol

Your best bet might be to go to someone that does custom harnesses. Collars aren't good for toy breeds, too much risk of damaging their trachea. I know if you search on Etsy there are a lot of people that make custom dog harnesses based on your dog's measurements and many of them are very reasonably priced.

Ooh I've never even heard of Etsy, I wonder if they ship to PR. Thanks for the info I'll look it up! And yeah she weighs 8 oz lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a question. We have an 8-week old puppy coming home in two weeks. The breeder will take care of the first round of shots, we will do the next two rounds. They advised not taking him to places where other dogs who may not have been vaccinated go before we complete the shots. That's a problem, since we're in a condo and everyone in the neighborhood takes their dogs to the same park.

We have a 20x5 foot balcony, so I suppose we could use a patio potty or pads, but still, the dog needs to get exercise, right? I can't believe this is a unique situation.

Do I need to roll my new puppy around in a plastic bubble?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Potty question 1

Can you retrain a dog to go potty at certain times of day? I have a lab he is almost 4, he's been an outside dog all this time. He got hit by a car recently and I decided to bring him in. The problem is he will hold his urine and poo all night and most of the day no matter how many times we take him outside until around 12-2. No one is usually home during that time so how can i get him to go sooner or later during the day? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Potty question 2

I have a yorkie poodle mix who marks EVERYTHING he cant go 3 steps without cocking that lil leg up. It seems he has gotten worse since I brought Bandit in from outside. what can i do to stop this other than buying doggy diapers? He was a rescue dog and is at least 4 years old or older. The vet said that even once he gets fixed he still may do it because he's being doing it for so long...any help is appreciate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Potty question 2

Hi,
Thanks for the excellent advice in this post.

I needed some further advice though, and I can't seem to get the search working on my phone to look through the ther posts.
My parents have just got a 10 week old German shepherd puppy. She hasn't got a crate, but so far seems quite happy to sleep on the dog bed in a part of the kitchen that's quiet and a little darker.

So far she's been going toilet on the kitchen floor. We've been trying to take her outside but what we are finding is that she seems to refuse to go outside, even going as far as holding it in, then as soon as she is back inside she'll go on the floor. We take her out first thing in the morning, after every meal, every time she wakes from a nap, and last thing at night, but so far no luck.

We've tried taking her out 5 minutes after her meals, but perhaps being a large pup she holds it in and doesn't go outside at all. Eventually if we stay out long enough, she'll get agitated which is presumably from holding out to go back inside.

Do you know anything that we can do to encourage her to go outside rather than in?
All of the advice I've read online suggests using a crate, so that will be the next step, but is there any way to train her without using a crate?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

I have a yorkie poodle mix who marks EVERYTHING he cant go 3 steps without cocking that lil leg up. It seems he has gotten worse since I brought Bandit in from outside. what can i do to stop this other than buying doggy diapers? He was a rescue dog and is at least 4 years old or older. The vet said that even once he gets fixed he still may do it because he's being doing it for so long...any help is appreciate
Marking isn't really a potty issue. The best way to do it is to just not let him. With my dog, I just stay very aware of what he likes to mark, and then I don't let him near it. If he does start to mark, I interrupt him, and give him a treat when he comes to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hi all.

My sweet goldendoodle puppy arrived home today and I'm concerned because she hasn't peed or pooped since we picked her up. I've taken her outside like five times and I also took her on quite a long walk around the neighborhood and still nothing. I've fed her a bunch of treats throughout the day as well as two and a half meals (she abandoned the second one after a few bites). And she's had a LOT of water to drink. Yet she won't pee or poop.

She flew to us from Alabama and we're in NY. It was a seven hour flight. When we picked her up, she had already peed and pooped in the crate at some point during the trip. After that she's gotten quite a bit of exercise and eaten/drank a lot, like I've described.

She's been farting, so I've taken her outside twice after she started and nothing.

I should mention that she was trained for six weeks by the breeder before she came so she isn't a complete beginner. At this point she's 16 weeks old.

I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night to take her out again, but I'm not sure when I should try. Right now it's 11:15pm. She's already in her crate sleeping. When should I get up?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Re-awakening this thread - this may have been discussed before but after two days of searches I'm not finding it so I apologize in advance. I'm by no means a newbie to dogs - I've been heavily involved in foster/rescue/transport for 20 years and have had many, MANY dogs come through my home. I've had the seniors and I've fostered 5-day olds. But my current situation is one I don't recall having before and I'm a little stumped:

I currently have two dogs: a 150-pound Saint Dane and a 25 pound pug. This Saturday me and my husband will be going to a rescue adoption event and hope to come home with a puppy. The Saint-Dane acts like one and could really use a playmate, and I'm not accustomed to only having two dogs in the house so we thought it was time to experience the joys (said with tongue-in-cheek) of a puppy again. We've got the weekday and weekend schedule covered as far as crate-training, potty training, etc. but there will be occasions in the next few months where we will both need to be away from the house for 5-7 hours at a time. The two older dogs can use the pet door to access the fenced-in yard, but I won't be ready to leave the puppy with free reign of the house for some time yet. So what do I do when I have to leave the pup for 5-7 hours????? If I put her in a small crate I am essentially forcing her to either hold her urine that long or to pee in her crate and lie in it. If I confine her to one of our rooms with a crate and a wee-wee pad, not only will the pad confuse her, but my bigger fear is that the big dog will jump any and all barriers we put up. I don't want them playing when we're not home to supervise.

I do have an ex-pen but same problem will occur - big dog will step right over it. Do I confine the pup in a room with a solid door with water, bed, chew toys and a wee-wee pad and hope for the best? I've had bad experiences in the past with the pads..... not only does it seem to confuse them by saying "it's ok to pee in the house, but today only" but it also sometimes leads them to think they can now pee on any fuzzy piece of fabric that is on the floor (like throw rugs). I was planning on avoiding wee-wee pads like the plague this time but don't know what to do with those engagements we are already committed to.

Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.
Sue

·
Registered
99 Posts

Re-awakening this thread - this may have been discussed before but after two days of searches I'm not finding it so I apologize in advance. I'm by no means a newbie to dogs - I've been heavily involved in foster/rescue/transport for 20 years and have had many, MANY dogs come through my home. I've had the seniors and I've fostered 5-day olds. But my current situation is one I don't recall having before and I'm a little stumped:

I currently have two dogs: a 150-pound Saint Dane and a 25 pound pug. This Saturday me and my husband will be going to a rescue adoption event and hope to come home with a puppy. The Saint-Dane acts like one and could really use a playmate, and I'm not accustomed to only having two dogs in the house so we thought it was time to experience the joys (said with tongue-in-cheek) of a puppy again. We've got the weekday and weekend schedule covered as far as crate-training, potty training, etc. but there will be occasions in the next few months where we will both need to be away from the house for 5-7 hours at a time. The two older dogs can use the pet door to access the fenced-in yard, but I won't be ready to leave the puppy with free reign of the house for some time yet. So what do I do when I have to leave the pup for 5-7 hours????? If I put her in a small crate I am essentially forcing her to either hold her urine that long or to pee in her crate and lie in it. If I confine her to one of our rooms with a crate and a wee-wee pad, not only will the pad confuse her, but my bigger fear is that the big dog will jump any and all barriers we put up. I don't want them playing when we're not home to supervise.

I do have an ex-pen but same problem will occur - big dog will step right over it. Do I confine the pup in a room with a solid door with water, bed, chew toys and a wee-wee pad and hope for the best? I've had bad experiences in the past with the pads..... not only does it seem to confuse them by saying "it's ok to pee in the house, but today only" but it also sometimes leads them to think they can now pee on any fuzzy piece of fabric that is on the floor (like throw rugs). I was planning on avoiding wee-wee pads like the plague this time but don't know what to do with those engagements we are already committed to.

Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.
Sue

Greetings Sue

I thank you so much for fostering pets and finding them forever homes. It takes a special person, and that is you. I also foster many pets, and when they are puppies, we set up their crate, but leave the door open. We attach a folding baby fence to the open door of the crate. This creates a little play area for the puppy. When I use this setup, in the play area, I leave chew toys, clean water, and an indoor pet potty. I know many have concerns with these, but we find using the right attractant makes a huge difference. The one we use has the small of grass. This is so the puppy will not become confused, and their puppy potty will smell like the outside. Otherwise, they may think every rug is a potty, and will become confused.
As the puppy grows, we have removed the fence, but left the open crate, and their potty nearby. When I am at work, the dogs have learned to use the potty, when I get home, we go for a long walk. This have removed the barriers to my fostering dogs, and for others to adopt these dogs. We found the main reason people dropped dogs off at my shelter was housebreaking issues. This seems to make dogs more adoptable.

Sue, I thank you again for all your efforts on behalf of our furry friends. You're wonderful

Kathleen

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thank you, Kathleen, for also being one of those special people. I will look into the products you mention right away. In chatting with a co-worker a short time ago, I asked how she handles a similar situation and she strongly recommended the "fake grass" pee area so now that you've mentioned it, too, it's definitely worth trying.

Thanks.... talk soon.
Sue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got one to share, kind of a head scratcher as I've never had any of my dogs be so defiant to being trained anything.

I have a now 11 month old purebred Welsh Cardigan Corgi, she is great except for one thing. She does not grasp the idea of that she needs to go outside to use the bathroom ALL the time.

She was born in January. Unfortunately, I was unable to get her until May of this year. I started with puppy pads, each time she got on the pad I moved it closer and closer to the door. If she had an accident off pad (which is easy given shes very long and low to the ground), I would use nature's miracle spray, clean up the mess, reapply, and do it again. If she did it on the carpet I would do mostly the same thing ensuring there was a good layer of the enzyme spray in the carpet or the hardwood.
When I initially got her I let her have free roam of the house, I imagine this was not the best of ideas.

Recently I decided to put my foot down. I have been unemployed for a bit now so I leashed her, and wherever I went, she went. She fights the collar/lead like its a mortal enemy, no matter how long it is kept on her.
In the past few day I have been successful with getting her to go outside (we have a fenced back yard), and fuss all over her and give her treats when she does her business.

Currently I have a gate in front of my office and she stays with me in here while I do what I need to do. I leave it today to go to the restroom, no more than 30 seconds. I come back in and she has pooped twice and peed on the carpet. It is like she is being DELIBERATE on this.

I have no clue on what to do at this point or how I can get her to fully get the idea that the inside of the house as a whole is not grounds to use the restroom. She's young and from what I can observe insanely intelligent (finding ways to open doors, get over obstacles, etc.).

At this point I am absolutely begging for help because unless I literally conjoin the two of us with a leash, the moment she knows I'm gone she will relieve herself.

If you have any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've got one to share, kind of a head scratcher as I've never had any of my dogs be so defiant to being trained anything.

I have a now 11 month old purebred Welsh Cardigan Corgi, she is great except for one thing. She does not grasp the idea of that she needs to go outside to use the bathroom ALL the time.

She was born in January. Unfortunately, I was unable to get her until May of this year. I started with puppy pads, each time she got on the pad I moved it closer and closer to the door. If she had an accident off pad (which is easy given shes very long and low to the ground), I would use nature's miracle spray, clean up the mess, reapply, and do it again. If she did it on the carpet I would do mostly the same thing ensuring there was a good layer of the enzyme spray in the carpet or the hardwood.
When I initially got her I let her have free roam of the house, I imagine this was not the best of ideas.

Recently I decided to put my foot down. I have been unemployed for a bit now so I leashed her, and wherever I went, she went. She fights the collar/lead like its a mortal enemy, no matter how long it is kept on her.
In the past few day I have been successful with getting her to go outside (we have a fenced back yard), and fuss all over her and give her treats when she does her business.

Currently I have a gate in front of my office and she stays with me in here while I do what I need to do. I leave it today to go to the restroom, no more than 30 seconds. I come back in and she has pooped twice and peed on the carpet. It is like she is being DELIBERATE on this.

I have no clue on what to do at this point or how I can get her to fully get the idea that the inside of the house as a whole is not grounds to use the restroom. She's young and from what I can observe insanely intelligent (finding ways to open doors, get over obstacles, etc.).

At this point I am absolutely begging for help because unless I literally conjoin the two of us with a leash, the moment she knows I'm gone she will relieve herself.

If you have any questions please let me know.
I would get rid of the puppy pads all together. Basically, you ARE teaching her that sometimes it is ok to go inside. Puppy pads can often be very confusing for some dogs. They resemble rugs or carpet.

Have you tried crate training? Dogs do not typically go where they sleep. When you cannot supervise, crate her to prevent accidents.

Take her outside very, very often, like she is a little puppy again. When she goes, praise like crazy.

Do you scold her when she goes potty inside? If you do, stop. That will teach her that going in front of you is bad, not going inside, which could be why she decides she needs to go when you have left the room. Instead, just clean it up and don't signal that you are angry to your dog.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts