Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had lots of dogs, generally with no housebreaking problems, until.....Tyler.

Tyler is 12 weeks old, and I got him at 7 weeks. Per his DNA test he is Chihuahua, American Hairless Terrier (a type of Rat Terrier) and Dachshund.

He has access during the day to an open sliding glass door to outside, and constant access to an open garage door that is one foot away from the doggy door to outside. As usual, we started with going outside every hour or so, plus after eating or waking up. My two older dogs "helped" by going along, and peed also. The first two weeks he seemed oblivious to the whole thing.

By 9 weeks, he would occasionally take himself outside, and would pee outside when I asked him to, but about half the time still went inside.

Now at 12 weeks, I'm getting beyond irritated. Today, I got up, walked across the room, stopped when I saw pee on the floor--as soon as he saw me stop where the pee was, he took off running and sat on the patio until I'd cleaned it up. He seems to know that me finding pee in the house is a bad thing--if I catch him actually peeing I will say "Bad Tyler" in a very sad, disappointed voice, and he will get droopy sad for a couple minutes. When he pees outside, he gets tummy rubs and happy voice and he really likes that.

We've been to the vet regularly, and the last visit last week, she said that due to his breed, it could take a lot longer to housebreak him than I was used to, but I'm scared to think how long that is. My previous dogs have run hours (German Shepherd) to a couple of days (Corgi).

Any suggestions? Am I doomed?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I've had lots of dogs, generally with no housebreaking problems, until.....Tyler.

Tyler is 12 weeks old, and I got him at 7 weeks. Per his DNA test he is Chihuahua, American Hairless Terrier (a type of Rat Terrier) and Dachshund.

He has access during the day to an open sliding glass door to outside, and constant access to an open garage door that is one foot away from the doggy door to outside. As usual, we started with going outside every hour or so, plus after eating or waking up. My two older dogs "helped" by going along, and peed also. The first two weeks he seemed oblivious to the whole thing.

By 9 weeks, he would occasionally take himself outside, and would pee outside when I asked him to, but about half the time still went inside.

Now at 12 weeks, I'm getting beyond irritated. Today, I got up, walked across the room, stopped when I saw pee on the floor--as soon as he saw me stop where the pee was, he took off running and sat on the patio until I'd cleaned it up. He seems to know that me finding pee in the house is a bad thing--if I catch him actually peeing I will say "Bad Tyler" in a very sad, disappointed voice, and he will get droopy sad for a couple minutes. When he pees outside, he gets tummy rubs and happy voice and he really likes that.

We've been to the vet regularly, and the last visit last week, she said that due to his breed, it could take a lot longer to housebreak him than I was used to, but I'm scared to think how long that is. My previous dogs have run hours (German Shepherd) to a couple of days (Corgi).

Any suggestions? Am I doomed?
A couple ideas -

- He's not really old enough to be allowed free access. Keep your eyes on him or, if you can't watch him, keep him confined to a smaller area. Take regular potty breaks.
- Go out with him every time and reward like he just pooped gold. He may like tummy rubs and a happy voice, but treats might help get the point across faster.
- Clean any spot he's gone with enzymatic cleaner to completely remove the odor.
- Don't scold him when he does have an accident. You risk making him scared to pee in front of you any time - inside or outside - and it doesn't really teach him anything.
- Don't compare him to your other dogs. He's different. Not better or worse, just different. That might help reduce some stress.
- Many dogs aren't reliably house trained until they're much older - and when they get full bladder control at around 6 months. Dogs who are house trained earlier are often the ones whose owners a vigilant about watching and sticking to a potty schedule.

Relax and enjoy him. Is the avatar a picture of him? He's adorable!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,
Sorry if maybe this was addressed in the thread, but I couldn't read through it all.
Our 15 week old Shih-poo, Chewy, is finally able to go outside (i.e., fully vaccinated). We live on the 8th floor in a city and were advised by our vet and breeder to hold off on outside potty training because of the risk of disease.

Now we are trying to get him to potty outside after being 100% pee pad trained (no accidents / no crate issues / he holds his potty while we are out for 4 hours/day while in long-term confinement [even with pee pad there]).

He refuses to go outside. We have taken him for 2 hour walks and he will hold it until he gets home.
If anyone has had success with this transition, I would love to hear it. He's super smart and responsive to training. We'd like to nip this in the bud soon! I've even brought his pee pad outside with his scent and nothing... thoughts?
Thanks!
IMG_0837.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds like he's basically going where he was trained to go and doesn't connect with going potty outside. He could also be hindered by the noises and smells outside. You could try taking the pee pad outside with you for a week or two. If he doesn't respond to the clean ones, bring out a dirty one. The best time to be successful is first thing in the morning. Bring a pee pad outside and be prepared to wait it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like he's basically going where he was trained to go and doesn't connect with going potty outside. He could also be hindered by the noises and smells outside. You could try taking the pee pad outside with you for a week or two. If he doesn't respond to the clean ones, bring out a dirty one. The best time to be successful is first thing in the morning. Bring a pee pad outside and be prepared to wait it out.
Thank you, 3doglady. I actually had success yesterday and today! Now to get him consistent and on a schedule.
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have three dogs, two males (both unaltered) and one female (spayed at early age). Rocky (3yrs) never had any issues with marking until Jake came along. Jake (2 yrs) is my chronic offender. He will mark anything, anytime, anywhere. When we are outside playing, he has lifted his leg and gone on my foot. I talked with my vet about getting them both altered, to hopefully eliminate the marking and to hopefully calm the aggression that exists between the two of them. In the meantime (surgery isn't cheap...especially for two) can anyone recommend a good enzyme cleaner tat they've had success with? I've tried carpet cleaner, upholstery cleaner, 50/50 vinegar, and they still "mark" their favorite spots. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy
2 years
2.) Length Of Ownership
1 1/2 yrs
3.) Method Of House Training
Trained to go outside, confined to one room when home alone
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy
Jack Russell/ Shih tzu mix
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept
He is confined to one room with the other two dogs when he's alone.
6.) Where Accidents Occur
In that room
7.) How Long Its Gone On
1 year or so but has gotten worse over the last few months
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs
He doesn't have to be alone. He will do it right in front of me.
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver
Me
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant

See above

·
Registered
4 Posts
1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy / 5mo
2.) Length Of Ownership / 6 Days
3.) Method Of House Training / Crate training
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy / Mini Schnauzer
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept / His crate is in our bedroom
6.) Where Accidents Occur / living room / kitchen ( smallish apartment )
7.) How Long Its Gone On / Full length of ownership
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs / Never alone when this occurs, we watch him like a hawk
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver / My wife and I
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant / Bred by a breeder, sold to puppies 'n' love and bought by us.

He was 5 mo when we got the little scrapper. Great dog, is getting certain commands already. We love the guy. He doesn't go in his crate which is great. But in the morning I take him out of his crate, right outside. Now I have tried being out for only a few minutes, and sometimes 40 minutes, we have tried just hanging around the grassy area right outside and taking a long walk. No matter what, he just doesn't potty outside. He never, once has eliminated outside. After 40 minutes of being outside, he will pee within 30 seconds of being inside. Every time he goes inside, immediately we give a clap, a no, and repeat potty outside, potty outside as we take him outside. We also say go outside everytime we take him out in general.

A good friend of ours who owns three dogs suggested we keep him in his crate and take him out every 15 - 20 minutes to go, and only for 3 or so minutes, if he doesn't go put him back in his crate, lather rinse repeat.

We tried that annnnnnd it broke our hearts, cause after a few hours of that, when we finally just let him out to hang out with us he was afraid to leave the crate, when he did he sulked out dragging his back lags, wouldn't lift his face off the carpet until we reallllly lifted his spirits.

So, in short, we have no idea what to do. We are very attentive. Watch him closely. Our outside area is pretty distracting though.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs / Never alone when this occurs, we watch him like a hawk
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant / Bred by a breeder, sold to puppies 'n' love and bought by us.

He was 5 mo when we got the little scrapper. Great dog, is getting certain commands already. We love the guy. He doesn't go in his crate which is great. But in the morning I take him out of his crate, right outside. Now I have tried being out for only a few minutes, and sometimes 40 minutes, we have tried just hanging around the grassy area right outside and taking a long walk. No matter what, he just doesn't potty outside. He never, once has eliminated outside. After 40 minutes of being outside, he will pee within 30 seconds of being inside. Every time he goes inside, immediately we give a clap, a no, and repeat potty outside, potty outside as we take him outside. We also say go outside everytime we take him out in general.

A good friend of ours who owns three dogs suggested we keep him in his crate and take him out every 15 - 20 minutes to go, and only for 3 or so minutes, if he doesn't go put him back in his crate, lather rinse repeat.

We tried that annnnnnd it broke our hearts, cause after a few hours of that, when we finally just let him out to hang out with us he was afraid to leave the crate, when he did he sulked out dragging his back lags, wouldn't lift his face off the carpet until we reallllly lifted his spirits.

So, in short, we have no idea what to do. We are very attentive. Watch him closely. Our outside area is pretty distracting though.

Your friend actually gave you the right advice, unfortunately. You have to stop letting him have access to the inside when you know he hasn't gone outside. If you can't stand the method suggested then your only option is to stand outside, every time, until he does go. Bring treats and a book, because it's going to take a while. It's a rough thing to do, either way, but he CAN NOT be allowed to think inside is where to go, and since he has gotten that idea (holding it outside, going in), you're going to have to prevent him going inside, and get him to go out so you can praise him. Only method for that is to let him only have access inside after a successful potty trip outside. Accomplishing that means limiting his indoor movement, or a whole lot of trips where you take him outside often and wait, wait, and wait some more until he's gone.

Puppy will sulk and be upset. It's a different routine, but when you let him out if he gets upset? RIGHT BACK OUTSIDE. Until he goes, the only options need to be, either way, crate or outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your friend actually gave you the right advice, unfortunately. You have to stop letting him have access to the inside when you know he hasn't gone outside. If you can't stand the method suggested then your only option is to stand outside, every time, until he does go. Bring treats and a book, because it's going to take a while. It's a rough thing to do, either way, but he CAN NOT be allowed to think inside is where to go, and since he has gotten that idea (holding it outside, going in), you're going to have to prevent him going inside, and get him to go out so you can praise him. Only method for that is to let him only have access inside after a successful potty trip outside. Accomplishing that means limiting his indoor movement, or a whole lot of trips where you take him outside often and wait, wait, and wait some more until he's gone.

Puppy will sulk and be upset. It's a different routine, but when you let him out if he gets upset? RIGHT BACK OUTSIDE. Until he goes, the only options need to be, either way, crate or outside.
thanks cap. I can deal with the pup being sad. I was worried that continuing to do that would do the dog harm or his relationship with us harm in the long run. but I can accept my worry being unfounded. of course if its best for the pup we could do it.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
thanks cap. I can deal with the pup being sad. I was worried that continuing to do that would do the dog harm or his relationship with us harm in the long run. but I can accept my worry being unfounded. of course if its best for the pup we could do it.
You'll be fine. He'll probably catch on pretty quickly that peeing outside not only brings treats and praise, but - Free time to play! It's sad all around, but the faster they get it, the more fun you get to have in the long run. You'll be okay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our dog Mickey, and accidents...

As far as potty training goes things have been mostly ok. He has a tell tale sign that we recognize, more like a ritual actually. But there has been 3 times he has peed in our apt since we started the crate training.

He doesn't "let" us know when he needs to go, he seems to wait mostly until we decide to take him out. But he has had a couple "accidents"

So our question is, how do we get him to tell us he wants to go out and go potty?

We have affixed a small bell to the wall next to the door and are thinking about associating ringing the bell with going outside

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by DougMasters

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two 5 1/2 month old springer spaniel lab mixes. We've had them for about 6 weeks and both are doing pretty well with housetraining. Well, WERE! One is fine and hasn't had any accidents in several weeks. The other was doing really well, but has recently started peeing inside once every other day or so. They are let out/walked regularly and do their business right away and are rewarded with treats and super excited "Good business!" (my neighbors must think we are nuts). We are going to keep the supervision a little tighter for a while, but just wondering if there is anything I'm missing? We do have them in crates and there are no accidents in the crates.

1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy / 5 1/2 months
2.) Length Of Ownership / 6 weeks
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy / springer spaniel/lab mix
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept / Crate in living room
6.) Where Accidents Occur / @ home - living room, @ SO's office
7.) How Long Its Gone On / Last 10 days or so
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs / Minutes - usually when prepping dinner or something
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver / SO and I
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant / Have littermates (I KNOW, but it's going really well and we have done a LOT to address any issues before they arise)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Even though this post asks people to stop posting "potty" questions, I think just going to those links posted int the first post are not entirely helpful. People have individual problems and these posts don't exactly answer people's individuals needs. It's also hard to sort through every answer as some of those posts have many pages of answers that go back to a few years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I'm not having luck searching keywords. My dog, Yoora, has been peeing and (much weirder for her) pooping inside for about 2 months after having fastidious potty habits since I adopted her. She was a rescue and lived with an established dog in a foster home for a while, and pretty much learned all her good manners there. She goes out about four times a day and doesn't do it in my bedroom, which is where she stays when alone.

1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy / ~10 years
2.) Length Of Ownership / 6 years
3.) Method Of House Training / Pee pads
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy / Chihuahua/pomeranian/something else
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept / My bedroom when I'm out
6.) Where Accidents Occur / Living room, dining room, kitchen, foyer
7.) How Long Its Gone On / Since adopting cats, about 2 months
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs / Only happens when I'm home
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver / Me
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant / I adopted two cats in November and recently my sister moved in. There has been zero conflict between her and the cats; they were introduced carefully, neither she or the cats has ever shown aggression, they bump up against each other very casually. I wouldn't say they're friends exactly but they are living peaceably. My sister just moved into a spare bedroom in my place, but Yoora has always just adored her and has known her for a long time. This potty behavior had begun long before that though.

It seems clear that she's reacting to the cats, I assume? But why is she doing this? The floors are wood so it's not too big a deal to clean up, it's just a huge hassle since it happens several times a day and I'm going through so many paper towels that I'm worried the Lorax is going to come take me out. I'm tired of stepping in puddles. What can I do to curb this behavior?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Every one feels there situation is special. The whole point of a forum is to group people of the same interest and share information and knowledge. Just because someone asked the same question does not mean it will get answered the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No idea what you're getting at. If the "whole point" of a forum is for people to share their information and knowledge, and no one does, that is a pretty pointless forum. Similarly, a forum that makes people feel wrong or like they're inconveniencing the other members (and because this is such a common question, a lot of people are being made to feel that way) for trying to use the forum for its intended purpose is not likely to attract and keep new members. People's situations are different, which is why one thread for all potty questions is absurd. But I've already gotten pretty thorough help for this elsewhere, so further replies to this thread won't be read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well I'm gonna apologize now cause I just posted one prior to reading this and I don't know how to delete it.I can post it here if someone let's me know how to delete the original

"So we got Kaos 3 days ago and have realized he's got some separation anxiety problems. Whenever me or my girlfriend leave or come back from somewhere like the bathroom (we haven't left the house with him alone yet) he will pee even if the other person is still with him. As soon as my girlfriend is home from work he pees and of course if we attempt to crate him he pees so we're now starting to work with him to make his crate a positive place. However I was sitting in the living room and he walked into his crate sniffed around (we leave some little treats in there so it is a positive space) then peed while the door was open and he had gone in willingly. This obviously to me doesn't seem like a separation anxiety issue so I was wondering if maybe he is just trying to mark the crate as his? (he is 6 months old)"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy / 8 months
2.) Length Of Ownership / 3 Days
3.) Method Of House Training / Pee Pee Pads/outdoors
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy / chiuaha/poodle
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept / kitchen with a baby gate
6.) Where Accidents Occur / living room/bed room hallway
7.) How Long Its Gone On / so far whole time
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs / Not alone, usually happens when I return
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver / Me
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant / Bought from previous home, and I am not aware of their methods.

So that's some backround info. My main question is though that I work 8 hours during the day and am unable to take my puppy out during the day, I leave her blocked off in my kitchen area of my apartment. Today is the first day I have left her by herself the full 8 hours and am a little scared of what I will return to. How long will it be before the dog learns the routine? Also when I wake up in the morning should I take my dog out immedietly? How many times a day does an 8 month old generally need to go out? Because if I take her out at 5:30 when I wake up, should I take her out again at 6:30 before I leave because I won't get home until 3:30ish.

Thanks for any adivce!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
1.) Age Of Dog/Puppy
6 to 8 years old
2.) Length Of Ownership
4 years
3.) Method Of House Training
Was already trained. Rescue dog.
4.) Breed Of Dog/Puppy
Shepherd / Huskie mix
5.) Where Dog/Puppy Is Kept
Large outdoor run during work day. In house when at home.
6.) Where Accidents Occur
Back door when putting on leash.
7.) How Long Its Gone On
Since I got him.
8.) How Long Dog/Puppy Is Alone When It Occurs
He is submissive peeing when putting on leash.
9.) Whom Is The Primary Caregiver
Me
10.) Any Background History That Might Be Relevant
Bear is a rescue dog who had been abused. When he was at the pound a pit bull bit his neck and he had to have surgery. I think he has a great fear of a leash since he was not only abused but probably had to wear a leash while recovering from neck surgery.
He lets me know he needs to go outside. When I go to hook up the leash to his collar he pees.
I'm not sure how to change his mood there. He is in a submissive state, sometimes even rolling on his back even while peeing. I am not scolding him or anything at the time. But I am amiss on how to correct this behavior. I have had dogs all my life and understand them fairly well. When my Jack Russell died, and before I got my new rescue dog, his peeing almost ceased. I don't know if that is a clue to this or not. It seems to be worse that it was while he was the only dog in the house. I really could use some help with this. And yes, another pottie question. Sorry!

81 - 100 of 140 Posts