Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into a big discussion about this the other day. Since we are going to be having people over this summer, I'm going to ramp up door training again and I want to ask the neighbors to help out as volunteers. We hardly talk with our neighbors and really don't know any of them.

I agree it's somewhat strange to ask my neighbors we're not familiar with to help us, but my gf is so weirded out that it's not an option for her. What do you think?

·
Banned
78 Posts
If you were my neighbour, id welcome you and join in training.
If you were my mother in law's neighbour, she'd report you to the police as stalker, or would be burglar casing her joint

Dont ask, dont get.

I have a neighbour who has a jack russell who barks all day, every day, all day long.
I have a GSD who barks when neighbour gets up during night.
On receiving a friendly complaint from neighbour, i changed things around so Bernie slept indoors and stopped barking.
I then asked if i could spend time with their dog, training it not to bark at us when we are in the garden, neighbour refused, when asked to train their dog themselves not to bark when im in the garden, neighbour said no.

See, some people are real friendly and helpful, others need to be gone!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think it could be odd. But then again, if you haven't spoke much with the neighbors simply because ya'll don't cross paths often, or you or them haven't been their too horribly long, etc etc, then perhaps it could strike up a friendly relationship with your neighbors. Or they could think you're a total whack job and say no and you continue not speaking much to one another. No loss there, it doesn't sound like.

Why is your gf weirded out by such?? Is she not comfortable with your dog in some way? Or simply thinks you're weird for wanting to ask the neighbors? lol

I have a neighbour who has a jack russell who barks all day, every day, all day long.
I have a GSD who barks when neighbour gets up during night.
On receiving a friendly complaint from neighbour, i changed things around so Bernie slept indoors and stopped barking.
I then asked if i could spend time with their dog, training it not to bark at us when we are in the garden, neighbour refused, when asked to train their dog themselves not to bark when im in the garden, neighbour said no.
Now THIS is great. They complained. You politely complied. You complained. They didn't give any effort or even allow you to fix the problem for them. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I understand that some people are uncomfortable talking to their neighbors, Facebook is safer :) But, I agree, go talk with the neighbors... some will be friendly.

Re: "See, some people are real friendly and helpful, others need to be gone!"

I think folks in Melbourne may be more civilized than those of us in Texas:
"Well, I'm sorry officer. He wasn't polite, so he just needed killing."

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't really talk much to my neighbors, but when they got a new terrier mix that barks and barks and barks, I asked if I could give him bits of chicken every time I was gardening to train him not to bark at me. I think they were a little weirded out by the request, but they said yes, and now he just watches me garden until I give him a treat.

The worst that happens is they say no.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I live in a newly built building, so everyone is trying to be polite and you make excuses to get to know everyone else in the building. I'm sure recruiting them with training a dog would be easy and they would be happy to see how I've solved the light problems, etc...

Our first building, though... it was in this middle class going down area. People were mean and rough to one another. People had that "I'm here because I can't afford anything else and will move soon" mentality. I wouldn't have dared make contact with my neighbors there.

So yeh, depends on where you live. What type of culture your neighborhood has and whether you trust your neighbors or not. Sometimes you don't talk to your neighbors much, but exchange a few polite greetings and that sort of helps you judge them as people. Are they the type of people who apologize if they are going to have a party? How willing are they to talk about the weather with you? Have they ever helped you by collecting mail for you when you're on a holiday? Have they ever approached the authorities about an issue with you, without letting you know about the issue beforehand? That's basically how you get to judge their friendliness.

If they are nice enough, go for it! Having a dog might help you get new friends close by that can help you in an emergency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts