Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. My 13 year old male maltese had a slight heart murmur for a couple years but the dr said not to worry about it unless he starts breathing fast when resting. A few weeks ago he developed a cough. I brought him to the vet & the vet recommended xrays to see if it was bronchitis or if the murmur got worse. He was diagnosed with bronchitis but also an enlarged heart. He didn't give say what stage the murmur was in.

The Dr prescribed Furosemide, Benazepril, and Vetmedin for the enlarged heart & murmur. In my research about heart disease I read that Coenzyme Q10 and Carnitine may help so I found a cardio pill that contains both. The cough has gotten better but it may be because the bronchitis has gone away, but he does still have a dryheaving cough at times.

My question is I heard Hawthorne Berry and D-Ribose may also be beneficial for heart conditions. But I read Hawthorne shouldnt be used with glycoside drugs as it lowers blood pressure.

Does anyone know if Hawhtorne Berry is okay to give to a dog when on the heart medication I listed above (Furosemide, Benazepril, and Vetmedin). If so, what is the recommended dosage. Any other recommendations or advice regarding my dogs condition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Talk to the Vet. Lots of times a congenital murmur is a physical problem with a valve. Hawthorne won't help with a valve issue. An enlarged heart may be a precursor to congestive heart issues. The prescribed meds look like a standard set to help his heart: Furosemide is a diuretic, Benazepril is for high blood pressure, and Vetmedin strengthens the heart. So the Hawthorne effects may interact with the Benazapril - that's a Vet question: "Will it hurt to give it?" I'd also ask about the others, but don't see a problem.

In addition, steamed green beans provide a balanced Vit B combination that can sometimes support the heart. Most dogs learn to like green beans fairly readily.

After the bronchitis has healed, try going on regular walks, but don't let him get overly excited. If he coughs or has problems, the Vet can adjust the meds to help. For more detailed info, you'll have to call your Vet for your dogs specific situation...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts