Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 5yr old English Bulldog who just had a litter of pups 5 days ago. Everything has been going great until this morning. She seemed like she was in labor again (which I know is not possible). She was contracting, shivering, panting and moaning. I watched her for a short bit, and if I didn't know any better it would have seemed like we were expecting another puppy. All the puppies and the placenta had been delivered just fine 5 days prior. Long story short, I took her in to the vet. She had a high fever and was feeling pretty poorly by the time I got her in. Relatively quick onset of symptoms. They pulled blood, took a couple of radiographs and did an exam. The only definite result that came back other than the fever and general poor condition was an extremely low phosphorus count. Calcium level was low normal, so no Eclampsia. The doc has no idea how to account for the low phosphorus count. They gave her fluids, an antibiotic and sent her home. We will repeat the blood work in the AM. We feed her a natural, well balanced diet (Wellness Whitefish/Sweet Potato) and she has been eating and drinking well. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hello! I have a 5yr old English Bulldog who just had a litter of pups 5 days ago. Everything has been going great until this morning. She seemed like she was in labor again (which I know is not possible). She was contracting, shivering, panting and moaning. I watched her for a short bit, and if I didn't know any better it would have seemed like we were expecting another puppy. All the puppies and the placenta had been delivered just fine 5 days prior. Long story short, I took her in to the vet. She had a high fever and was feeling pretty poorly by the time I got her in. Relatively quick onset of symptoms. They pulled blood, took a couple of radiographs and did an exam. The only definite result that came back other than the fever and general poor condition was an extremely low phosphorus count. Calcium level was low normal, so no Eclampsia. The doc has no idea how to account for the low phosphorus count. They gave her fluids, an antibiotic and sent her home. We will repeat the blood work in the AM. We feed her a natural, well balanced diet (Wellness Whitefish/Sweet Potato) and she has been eating and drinking well. Any suggestions??
Pyo?
Retained placenta?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feeling pretty positive it's not retained placenta because of the discharge looking good and I got a good deal of placenta during the delivery....but I guess you never really know. Not sure it totally explains the phosphorous...but who knows! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ask your vet about a uterine flush, if she doesn't improve soon. I may be talking out of my rear end here, but they do it on horses often, if there is any chance that a piece of a placenta was retained, or for uterine infection. Not sure if it's possible with dogs. If eclampsia was definitely ruled out, I'd be concerned that there is something going on in there.

Please update us and let us know how she's doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts