Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hazel is almost a year old. She is keeping us on our toes. Around late afternoon she expects us to play with her. She barks non stop or bites us demanding us to play with her. Mostly we oblige but boy she has so much energy that I can't match. So any tips?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Teach her to settle. If she has been properly exercised, she needs to chill out. You can teach this by getting a pen and putting her in it, crating her, leashing her, and ignoring her. You can look up more detailed instructions, too, on this forum.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Try training her to do new things using a clicker. Look up 101 things to do with a box or work on some tricks etc. A dog will wear out very quickly if you engage their minds. I have had a dog sleep soundly after a 20 minute training session where every new behavior offered was clicked and rewarded so the dog's brain was sweating. Ha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pointers. I want to setup some agility equipment in my backyard to keep her occupied. Waiting for this damn weather to get better (live in eastcoast).

One game she loves to play with me is to snatch a ball from me. We use a lacrosse ball small enough to fit in her mouth and sturdy enough that she doesnt chew it away. She will desperately try to pry it from my hands. Sometimes she takes it and runs and expects me chase her. Or pushes it under the couch so I can go and retrieve for her. Its lot of fun, for a while :-(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked 101 things to do with a box. wont work for me. She will chew the crap out of it. 30 seconds for a cardboard box two minutes for a plastic box.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Just checked 101 things to do with a box. wont work for me. She will chew the crap out of it. 30 seconds for a cardboard box two minutes for a plastic box.
101 Things is a training game - the dog shouldn't have the opportunity to chew on the box.

It sounds like, in addition to teaching a settle, your dog could benefit from some brain games. Things like trick training, scent games, and canine parkour can all be trained at home - and indoors even! Have you looked into any local dog sport classes, like agility or flyball?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A super flashy agility game is to have the dog drop then explode, used for the table but applies to start and contacts as well. I can no longer do agility but we play it all the same. When dog is engaged ask for a drop, wait a couple counts, toss a cookie/toy and release dog to chase down the toy/treat. It definitely doesn't teach a quiet settle but it is great for making laying down fun. I use it on walks and can ask for a drop as we are moving, he drops and I continue to the end of the leash either releasing at the end with/without a wait or as I'm walking away from him. She would love this game. Key is to release to something super fun. Tug, ball, squeaky, rolled treat and it doesn't have to be toward you.

If she is that crazy then control exercises would be helpful. I was amazed at how well my little guy did with Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol. He tries to get on the mat before I can put it on the floor and is able to stay put quietly if I am out of sight ringing the bell or knocking on the door pretending to talk to somebody. PDF online with great instructions. It's a 15 day program and you go at your own rate. I was extremely surprised that Bucky and I only had a couple sticky spots.

Bucky throws actual temper tantrums. During dinner prep he isn't allowed in the kitchen and is rewarded at random intervals with bits of veggie peelings. If prep takes too long or treats don't come as often as he thinks they ought he starts to simmer with little vocalizations. If denied his 'rights' he blows. He goes in a time out behind the door until he comes to what little sense he has. Do the same. If she's bugging you and you've done enough then put her up until she quiets down. Barking should never get the dog what he wants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts