Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a hard teeth, we re still waiting on front teeth to come out, but all the back ones are in, my girl is back on her food with a vengeance. She is now eating the recommended amount of dry kibble per day, in addition to all the incidental treats, and noms. However her energy level has dropped a lot. We went from 2 miles a day to 8 blocks (more sniffing, watching things), flirt pole games to outside and chill, fetch/tug to lower energy puzzle toys. She is still engaged and active, but the change was so sudden.
I was planning on waiting until she got the rest of her teeth in before making a 6mo vet apt, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take her or if that's normal at this age? Again she's not acting sick at all, just a really lazy/ snuggley.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
Sudden changes in behavior are almost ALWAYS a reason to consult your vet. You could start with a phone call and let the vet decide (instead of a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum) if this calls for a visit.

BTW, dogs are genetically predisposed toward not exhibiting obvious signs of pain or illness. I'm guessing their wolf ancestors were a tad nervous about appearing too vulnerable.

Reactions: LeoRose

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hate being one of those people that is calling all the time over stuff that is normal. I'm worried they'll feel like they should do something to make me feel better, rather then because she needs it (I know drs over did tylenol in babies all the time when my kids were little)
She is eating and pooping well. Her personality is unaffected (still as spicy as ever), she Is more mentally active then physically active and demanding company for nap time, but she has also gained almost 10 lbs in a week and shows no sign of slowing down. My kids behaved similarly during growth spurts, but is it the same for dogs?

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
Nobody here is going to tell you, in good conscience, that it is absolutely nothing to worry about. In addition to being irresponsible, that would be in violation of forum rules (which I'd recommend you read.)

For the protection if your dog, and this forum, I am closing this thread. Please call your vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.