Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So we were walking around, taking pictures for a certain contest, when we stumbled across these magnificent beasts!

Mike thought they were pretty intimidating.

The cows did not think he was. Or we, for that matter.

Such placid animals.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
We used to have some Highland Cattle. A friend with a German Shepherd made the mistake of visiting when we were not home and brought his dog. The cattle had their calves and he ended up running for his life as the cattle took after the dog, the dog ran to him for protection with the cattle hot on his heels.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
They just roam your forests? How awesome would that be! Did any of Mike's Shepherd instincts come out?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

Wow Kyllobernese, that's a scary story. Wouldn't want a herd of these animals out to get me! Those horns and their size are no joke.

+two, yes they walk loose. The grazers were let loose about six years ago to allow the forest a natural growth. Before that time, taking care of the forest was done by men. As you can see in some of the pictures, the trees grown in straight lines, because it's a man made forest. Nothing natural about it. So with the cows and letting nature take its course they try to give the area a more natural feel. There are deer too, but they're skittish and you rarely see them.

Haha, no shepherd instincts! Mike is a wuss, the cows frighten him. He doesn't dare come too close.

When there are calves we don't get near the animals with Mike. They never mind humans and they don't mind dogs either, unless there are calves, then they don't appreciate dogs near them. Much like Kyllobernese' story. :) But I haven't heard of this herd storming after people, thank goodness. Such placid animals.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
That's cool! I like Highland Cattle. There are some in the High Park zoo in Toronto. I lived across from High Park last year and would visit the zoo almost every day. The cows didn't mind Crystal and Casper at all. When they had calves, the little guys scampered around trying to get my dogs to play.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Those are the coolest cows! We only ever come around squirrels around here. :( I'm surprised the cows are so chill with the dogs!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, it's amazing. And hey, I never encounter any squirrels around here. I love squirrels. :( But I've only seen an actual squirrel three times in my life.

Crantastic, I wish I lived near a zoo!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
highland cattle are my Fav. I love cows I think they are adorable. the Highland cows just melt my heart they are so cute ( and filthy! )

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Great photos ... and I think it is awesome to be able to go walking and come across these magnificent creatures. :) I have lots of wild life where I live ... but nothing like this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts