Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I was hoping someone had an opinion on what is wrong with my dog. I went away for a few days, and in that time my white maltese stayed at home with my parents. When I came back, he seemed okay, but then he started whimpering and shivering.

The weird thing is that I don't think anything physical is wrong with him. When we go on walks he is perfectly okay and does his business, walks, his tail is up, but I have a hard time getting him inside the house. When he is inside the house, he will lean against the door and stay there. If not against the door, he will shiver excessively as if in extreme fright. He refuses to eat anything, even his favorite foods, and doesn't like too much contact. He will accept a soft pet or pat, but doesn't cuddle like he used to. This all has happened in the last 24 hours and I am very concerned.

Do you think that something happened inside the house that has traumatized him? My parents say that nothing in the house was out of ordinary, but then again they were at work for most of the day so they didn't see anything.

I wish I could take my dog to the vet but at this time I'm afraid I can't afford a visit because we just took him a few weeks ago and he got many shots/teeth pulled/medications that cost more than 1,000.

Please, if anyone knows what is going on, let me know.

Thank you.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Perhaps you can't afford a vet right now however it might be a good idea to call your vet for an opinion. They may be able to give a free opinion over the phone or if they can't give an opinion over the phone maybe they could work out a payment plan.

When I had Lola spayed they gave me sometime to pay what I owed them. I did not have to pay the cost all up front and this was worked out with them ahead of time. The least you could do is call your vet and if you have a good relationship with them maybe they will allow payments especially since it is an emergency.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That is very strange, I would think that something traumatic did happen, thing is how old is your pup? Depending on how impressionable he is will depend how much of an impact it's had on him.

I don't believe there is anything physically wrong with him seeing how is great on walks...

I would try crating and see if it works, it might make him feel a little safer and slowly help cope with whatever is bothering him.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Dog needs to see a vet. He recently had oral surgery and he won't eat. Visit to your parents may be coincidental and he may have an infection, or any number of other complications such as diabetes etc.

Even if you check the dog's temperature, pulse, respiration and hydration you will only have a better idea of his health at present.

If he had suffered a traumatic injury, would you not (in spite of the money) take him to the vet? This, while not appearing so, may be as emergent at traumatic injury.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.