Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
I am married, so I imagine it would be up to my husband to decide what to do with the dog if I died. I have told him that he should first offer the dog to my parents if he feels he cannot keep him (he works 10 hours shifts 4 days a week, and although he loves the dog, I don't think he would want to or be able to care for Ralphie on his own), who really love him, and if they do not want to take on another dog, there are several people at my club who said they would gladly take him for agility. There are several elderly people, some who have health issues, and some who have even received dogs because their owners died unexpectedly, so its actually not that uncommon of a discussion. I haven't put this in a will, or anything, but I have made my wishes known to my husband, and I am confident he would make appropriate arrangements for the dog.

If I became temporarily incapacitated, I would direct my husband to board Ralphie. Again, the 10 hour work days would be hard for him to get Ralphie properly exercised if I wasn't there.

If I lived alone, I would make my wishes known in my will, or I would make sure to inform family of what I wanted done with my pets. Informing your training club what you want done with your dogs may also be a good idea, because they are probably more likely to know your dogs well than family, even. Your training club sees your dogs once, twice, or even more times a week, while your family might not see them that often, especially if they don't live nearby.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts