Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This is another subject that has various studies and opinions. I elevate my dogs' bowls a few inches, just because they're large dogs and it seems to be easier on their necks and backs not to have to bend down so far. It also holds the bowls in place. They'd be all over the house otherwise.

What's more important for dogs who are prone to bloat is that they are not exercised real hard within 2 hours before or 3 hours after eating.

Oh, I use cinderblocks for now. :p They hold the stainless steel bowls perfectly. I want to build a stand for them, but haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Agree with FOUR I dont see a real need unless the breed is prone to bloat, torsion or is arthritic and cannot reach down comfortably to eat.
i'm shopping for a raised feeder myself... considering building my own.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
shiba, that's a cute feeder, but with my crew (4 large, rambunctious eaters), I might as well just throw the food on the floor, because that's where it would end up. LOL

My husband and I work in wood, so we'll build a sturdy one for them. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I built one for my Dalmatian a few years ago and she loved it. Some people said it gives dogs problems with bloat and all. She used it for 6 years with no problems at all. David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts