Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to "train" their dog to use an elevated bed?

Zoey doesn't seem to keen on hers, so we've been trying to encourage her to use it by putting it in front of her window and treats when she lays down on it. At some point we want her to enjoy it and use it because she likes it...

Is she ever going to like it? are we going about this the right way?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I hope she learns to like it, but mine didn't! They will only use it if I put their pillow-type bed on top of it. Or several blankets. If it's super soft, they will hang out there. Otherwise, they shun it unless it's on the deck in the sun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did put one of her old pillow beds on top, maybe she just needs more time... when she first came home with us, she was weirded out by the whole bed idea to begin with.

Worst case scenario, I can donate it to a Great Dane Rescue. Maybe they'd be able to find somebody to like it. :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
It doesn't move when she gets on it, does it? The movement or the noise of the legs scraping on the floor can put some dogs off. Poca already knew a "go to bed" command, so I tossed a treat on the bed and told her to go to her bed to get it. Then I called her on and off it a few times so she got the idea that it was ok to be on there. She hasn't hesitated since to use it.

I do know that she uses her elevated bed a lot more in the summer when it's hot than in winter. Maybe when it gets hotter out your pup will enjoy it more?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's moving, but I'll be sure to keep a closer eye to see if it's moving at all.

In all fairness, when she first came home with us she was pretty wary about having a bed at all. We thought we were being awesome humans, got her this enormous fluffy bed for her crate. When she saw the bed in her crate, she hesitated to go inside. When she finally went in, she managed to straddle the fluffy bed, all four paws at opposite corners of the crate. We took the bed out, she warmed up to it after a while, now she has floor beds all over the house!

she's a funny bean, doesn't like brushes either. She prefers curry combs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I put the new style of bed in front of her favorite window, hoping she would sit on it to look outside. Well, on Friday we had success! I was home for a mental health day, sitting in my favorite chair just looking out the front window. and guess who's big ol' head popped up in front of the window. *yee* success!

On the flip side, Ozzy the cat LOVES sleeping on the new dog bed... maybe he'll convince her it's awesome...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts